Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:This was much written about at the time, with outrage, and Amazon apologized. I'm surprised more boardies don't remember it.
I remember it too. The 1949 publication date was a nice confirmation but not really necessary.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Unless I'm making it up, I think Orwell wrote it in '48, hence the number reversal. It was just published the following year.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

gnuppet wrote:Hi, all. Dan here. a few thoughts. I'm fairly sure my wager is correct for final. I did a bit of working on these problems before the taping. I dont have to wager everything, i could have just wagered just enough to catch him if he bets nothing, but i have to get it right to win and so I may as well go for the full value. please correct me if im wrong.
Your reasoning is completely sound.

Although I should note that for the purposes of winning you probably could have bet as little as $1,201 to shut out third, since 1st is going to make the standard cover wager at least 95% of the time there. Of course, that would be sub-optimal, since you want to win as much money as possible in your appearance. Which is why you correctly bet everything.
gnuppet wrote:So the final confused me a little bit.
I agree; it was more a "In the News" category than "Literature". I was confused, too. Knowing the book's publication date as well as Jeopardy's penchant for asking questions about the novel allowed me to make a guess at it.
gnuppet wrote:I would think that only 10-20% of contestants would have ever got log cabin. Even that may be generous. oh well, that's just how the game goes.
I agree again. They're a completely irrelevant group, and it was significantly harder than most $2000 clues.
gnuppet wrote: Also, I was fairly sure on Tartarus and John Ford but I didnt trust myself enough to ring in. I still regret that because I was way more sure of those than I was of some of the other guesses I made.
Props on getting "Marc Chagall" though, one I didn't get despite being both a fan of his work and a Russian Jew myself.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Afghanistan/Pakistan 50/50/90s
I'm impressed you managed to narrow it down to just two. My thoughts were "aren't acid attacks a big problem in at least a dozen different African and Middle Eastern countries?!"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ purely from the year. I had never heard the news about that happening.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

gnuppet wrote: I would think that only 10-20% of contestants would have ever got log cabin. Even that may be generous. oh well, that's just how the game goes.
Hi Dan,

Great game! I started rooting for you after a while in SJ after I saw how well you were playing.

When was your game taped? I would never have got Log Cabin Republicans a year ago, but they did make the news a few times during the presidential campaign - never headline, but here and there. Though i am a bit of a political junkie, and I read/watch CNN a lot (where SE Cupp is a contributor) so that may alter my perception of the clue. Instaget for this Canadian resident, but it sounds like I may be an exception.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I thought "Fahrenheit 451" and was so confident about it. Then, as soon as the Think music ended, I thought, "oh crap, 1984 was written in 1949". (Why I remember that, I'll never know).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

gnuppet wrote: Just some bum luck on the daily doubles. I knew both of the ones he got. I immediately got the brown university ----> rhode island connection on the his first one and turncoat came to me instantly. I would think that only 10-20% of contestants would have ever got log cabin. Even that may be generous. oh well, that's just how the game goes.
Well, Log Cabin Republicans have been in the news repeatedly over the years and so people familiar with LGBT issues would likely have heard of them. But yeah, probably a bit harder than the average DD.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yeah, if you follow politics much "Log Cabin Republicans" would have been pretty easy. My wife knew it instantly. I didn't, but when she said it I knew she was correct.

I think a good question for this week's poll would be something along the lines of "I got Tuesday's FJ solely on the irony of Amazon acting like 'Big Brother.'" I don't know how to phrase, but I think you get my drift.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Yeah, if you follow politics much "Log Cabin Republicans" would have been pretty easy. My wife knew it instantly. I didn't, but when she said it I knew she was correct.

I think a good question for this week's poll would be something along the lines of "I got Tuesday's FJ solely on the irony of Amazon acting like 'Big Brother.'" I don't know how to phrase, but I think you get my drift.
That's pretty much how I got there. I wasn't sure when 1984 was published - 1949 sounded good, but if you told me 1945 or 1955, I probably would have thought that those dates were right. And I don't remember hearing anything in the news about Amazon pulling the title, but it sounded very Big Brother, so that was my guess.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I think a good question for this week's poll would be something along the lines of "I got Tuesday's FJ solely on the irony of Amazon acting like 'Big Brother.'" I don't know how to phrase, but I think you get my drift.
I got it based on the year, but that is what sealed it for me. I never looked for an alternative.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I figured 1984 was published sometime post-WWII, but really had no clue on the exact year. The year certainly helped confirm it for me, but the Big Brotherness of the action is what really led me there.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I figured 1984 was published sometime post-WWII, but really had no clue on the exact year. The year certainly helped confirm it for me, but the Big Brotherness of the action is what really led me there.
For me, it was the year alone. Years ago, I read Anthony Burgess's criticism of the book in which he mentioned that it was a critique of the politics of 1948, forever cementing the publication date in my mind.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Elijah Baley wrote:
gnuppet wrote: Just some bum luck on the daily doubles. I knew both of the ones he got. I immediately got the brown university ----> rhode island connection on the his first one and turncoat came to me instantly. I would think that only 10-20% of contestants would have ever got log cabin. Even that may be generous. oh well, that's just how the game goes.
Well, Log Cabin Republicans have been in the news repeatedly over the years and so people familiar with LGBT issues would likely have heard of them. But yeah, probably a bit harder than the average DD.
On the other hand, I NHO Log Cabin Republicans. On the tougher side for a DD, but probably relevant in any given the election year (other than the crazy one this year).
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Yeah, it was in the news last year when Joel Grey came out as a member!... ;)
Spoiler
No, not really, but Joel Grey really did come out last year at 82....Just felt like joining these two so obscure recent clues... :lol:
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
Yeah, it was in the news last year when Joel Grey came out as a member!... ;)
Spoiler
No, not really, but Joel Grey really did come out last year at 82....Just felt like joining these two so obscure recent clues... :lol:
Yeah, I don't know but I'd guess that Joel Grey wouldn't particularly like being associated with Log Cabin Republicans. ;) They're not a particularly well-regarded group within most of the LGBT community, which kind of makes sense. You don't see "African Americans for the KKK," for example, and that's about the way most of us view it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
On the other hand, I NHO Log Cabin Republicans. On the tougher side for a DD, but probably relevant in any given the election year (other than the crazy one this year).
The Log Cabin Republicans were much in the news back before the SCOTUS made debate about same-sex marriage moot. The media most often viewed them as suffering from some form of cognitive dissonance since they were supporting a party that made opposing seme-sex marriage a party platform (of course, not all gays were necessarily in favor of same sex marriage)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
davey wrote:This was much written about at the time, with outrage, and Amazon apologized. I'm surprised more boardies don't remember it.
I remember it too. The 1949 publication date was a nice confirmation but not really necessary.
Like I said, if you slept through it worked nights and didn't get the news for a month on call you never heard it... tant pis. PS: We call "Log Cabin Republicans" = RINOs.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of the incident involving the book but I did get FJ based on the publication date. I don't know if the story about Orwell flipping the digits in 1948 is true, but it is useful in remembering when the book was written.

Poll request for Log Cabin Republicans. I got it right as I have heard of them and am a bit surprised so many here missed it. No, they aren't that high profile but they do pop up from time to time. It wasn't that long ago that Barrack Obama was opposed to same sex marriage or that Bill Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act and imposed the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. Interestingly, Barry Goldwater was a supporter of gay rights.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Poll request for Log Cabin seen and I was already planning to do it because of the discussion and estimate towards get rate.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote:
I could have sworn the term "log cabin republican" was used either by Alex or by S. E. in her contestant interview when she was on the show for Power Player's Week (and apparently taped that clue). Wouldn't y'all have got it from that?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012