Sports Jeopardy! EP. 11 (11-30-16) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 11 (11-30-16) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL SPORTS JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 500-HOMER CLUB

FINAL SPORTS JEOPARDY! CLUE
Often injured, he is the only member who played in fewer than 2,000 games in his MLB career

Earl Holland: 13000-12001=999
Roderick Crabbe: 7750-13=7737 (1x = $5,000)
Caitlin Hooks: 12500-7500=5000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mark McGwire (Earl - Mel Ott) (Roderick - Eddie Murray) (Caitlin - Edgar Martinez)
Scoreboard puzzle:
Spoiler
19 - 66
95 - 93
Hint 1:
Spoiler
basketball
Hint 2:
Spoiler
NBA Finals
Hint 3:
Spoiler
North American team record
Scoreboard answer:
Spoiler
The Boston Celtics defeated the L.A. Lakers in game 7 of the 1966 NBA Finals by a score of 95-93. That victory gave the Celtics their 8th consecutive championship which no other pro sports team in North America has achieved. It was also the 10th consecutive appearance in the Finals for the Celtics which tied the Montreal Canadiens run from 1951-1960.
Daily Doubles
Earl: 750-1000
Caitlin: 9000+2000
Earl: 12250-1250

Coryats
Earl: 15250
Roderick: 7750
Caitlin: 11500

Combined: 34,500

Episode title: "All About That Base"

The FJ! category had me trying to think what might be asked and I thought it might be guys with 500+ homers not in the Hall or guys tied with the same career mark. Either way I figure the clue would give a good enough hint to lead to the correct slugger(s) and I expected it to the kind of clue asking for more than one name.

Mark McGwire was the only name I wrote while I spent thinking time wondering if Mickey Mantle could be the guy. I has happy to convert the clue in a good category for me.

Research about various numbers:
Spoiler
Games played by the names mentioned in this post:
Eddie Murray - 3,026
Mel Ott - 2,730
Mickey Mantle - 2,401
Edgar Martinez - 2,055
Mark McGwire - 1,874

Tied with 521 homers: Willie McCovey, Frank Thomas & Ted Williams
Tied with 512 homers: Ernie Banks & Eddie Mathews
Earl faced two tough challengers and was good enough to overcome his two missed DDs to still have the lead for the FJ! round. I knew Earl needed a solve as I figured one of his opponents would leave enough points to win on a tough clue while the champ would bet to try to hit 25,001.

Earl's great run is over and Vinny can rest easy again.

Season 3 leaderboard:
Spoiler
Earl Holland - 8 wins & $40,000 (14999+14001+22000+24488+16000+32001+2999+24001)
Terry Kent - 3 wins & $15,000 (19250+18000+27500)
Roderick Crabbe - 1 win & $5,000* (7737)
* still active
dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 11 (11-30-16) [Spoilers]

Post by dinghammer »

I'm always surprised when I get a Sports J! FJ right playing off your posts when it's not about darts or the Olympics. More so when it's a TS.

Thanks for posting these every week.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Caitlin's wager made me sad.

McGwire was my "well, I've got to put something down" best guess and I was pleasantly surprised when it was correct.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Vinny V
Contributor

Post by Vinny V »

Watching Earl the past few months has been really fun. He was on a roll with his knowledge and buzzer skills and also played to win with his style of wagering. I thought Earl would keep going, but he and the other two contestants were stung by a really difficult question. I thought it was Mickey Mantle and wouldn't have even though of Big Mac.

Congrats to Earl! Hope he enjoys the 40K!
terrykent

Post by terrykent »

When I lost to Earl, I (selfishly) wanted him to do well so I'd be able to say that I lost to a great one. Well, Earl went above and beyond. Earl was friendly and amiable at the taping, so if there's any doubt about whether he's as nice on TV as he seems, let me put that to rest. He is. Congrats to Earl.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

According to avclub.com, "the sports-centric game show Sports Jeopardy! will continue dropping new episodes [on Crackle] on Wednesdays through December 7th."

http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-wha ... ber-246668

Any word on whether that's it for SJ! ?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:McGwire was my "well, I've got to put something down" best guess and I was pleasantly surprised when it was correct.
I figured it had to be him or Griffey. I went with Big Mac.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:According to avclub.com, "the sports-centric game show Sports Jeopardy! will continue dropping new episodes [on Crackle] on Wednesdays through December 7th."

That would...surprise me, considering they did an online test. You'd think that if this were it, they would have known before that point and, you know, not done an online test?
Andy Saunders
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:According to avclub.com, "the sports-centric game show Sports Jeopardy! will continue dropping new episodes [on Crackle] on Wednesdays through December 7th."

That would...surprise me, considering they did an online test. You'd think that if this were it, they would have known before that point and, you know, not done an online test?
The ticket link on the Sports J! site indicates to check back in January for the next taping, so that could be a clue in early 2017. My instincts say the plug would not be pulled without at least completing a full S3 of 52 games.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:

The ticket link on the Sports J! site indicates to check back in January for the next taping, so that could be a clue in early 2017. My instincts say the plug would not be pulled without at least completing a full S3 of 52 games.
According to the Twitter of one of next week's contestants, next week's episode taped in July.
Andy Saunders
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Congrats to Earl on his impressive run. Great guy at the taping and I'm glad to have met him.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It took me about 15 seconds, but I got FJ. I started by trying to think of players who just barely hit the 500 career home runs plateau, but that did no good. Once I got to McGwire he seemed to fit, as he definitely was often injured and I remembered that he had one of the highest (maybe the highest?) career home runs to at-bats ratio. I didn't think of Griffey Jr., but I think that I would have been deterred from guessing him because I was pretty sure that he somehow managed to hit over 600 career home runs (it turns out that he did).
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:

According to the Twitter of one of next week's contestants, next week's episode taped in July.
My guess is that the new episodes are going to premiere on NBCSN instead of Crackle.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

arekp01 wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:

My guess is that the new episodes are going to premiere on NBCSN instead of Crackle.
Considering that NBCSN has been known to excise entire rounds from episodes aired because of time, this would be pretty terrible news if it is true. (To say nothing of the fact that I personally can't even watch NBCSN by virtue of my location).
Andy Saunders
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

Unless he's tasked with breaking the bad news to all of us at the end of it, the fact that there's a #askearl sponsored by Crackle on Twitter right now would indicate that the show is not about to meet its demise.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought about McGwire, but went with a guy who played 2,671 games, Ken Griffey, Jr..
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have checked Crackle through multiple methods and the two usual sites with recaps with everything turning up nothing.

Next is waiting until tonight to see what NBCSN airs.

As of now S3E13 is nowhere to be found. :(
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Next is waiting until tonight to see what NBCSN airs.

As of now S3E13 is nowhere to be found. :(
Watching now... Three consecutive episodes starting 5 minutes ago on my listings, none identfied as new, old, repeat, special, anything. So I decided to watch 'em all and see....

So here I am, several minutes into the first one listed, and they're showing hockey talk.

This is the problem with shoehorning planned shows as "filler" into a network that specializes in live events.