Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7418, 2016-12-07

Tim Aten game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Wendi Rottweiler, a librarian from South Brunswick, New Jersey
Jaime Ryan, a technology strategist from San Marcos, California
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio (whose 3-day cash winnings total $56,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Tim has now played in three games. He told me yesterday, "Although I've played in those three games, I still don't feel I've mastered the signaling device." And yet he has won those three games and over $50,000. So, Jaime and Wendi, that may be good news for you. On the other hand, if he suddenly learns how to master the signaling device today, that may not be good news for you. Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. All right. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GREAT LOOP (1/4) (Alex: ...for those of you people who like to travel in America.)
FUNNY LADIES (5/5)
JOIN THE CONJUNCTION (3/5)
ON THE MONEY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We need you to identify each paper denomination...)
OPERATION (2/5)
DRUGZ (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Jaime: 4 R, 0 W
Wendi: 4 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $2,200
Jaime: $1,000
Wendi: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: To be quite honest with you, ladies and gentlemen, I'm a little bit worried about Wendi Rottweiler. A few minutes ago, you said, "Alex, give me some drugz for $200." And I have just read that you and members of your family are avid mushroom hunters. What kind of mushrooms are we talking about?

[Laughter]

Wendi: Morels, mostly. We'll go for other things, but really focused on morels in the spring.

Alex: It's a lot of fun?

Wendi: Love it.

Alex: Okay, good for you. Nice having you with us today.

Alex: Jaime Ryan is from San Marcos, California. I understand that you're going back to school.

Jaime: I am. I'm going back to school for a master's in data science. We live in a very connected world, and being able to analyze and visualize data is important. So far, it's just some really hard math.

Alex: Uh-huh, but you are computer literate, then.

Jaime: I am.

Alex: Yeah, that helps. I could not take data science.

[Laughter]

Alex: Tim Aten is our champion. He has his own mass-produced trading card.

Tim: Yeah. So, about 10 years ago, I was playing a strategy card game semi-professionally, and at the same time that I was hitting my stride, the company who makes it decided, as a promotion, to insert cards of their top players randomly into packs. So, 10 years ago, you could buy a pack and randomly have me in it.

Alex: What's your card worth right now, if I were to find one?

Tim: About 50 cents.

[Laughter]

Alex: Keep doing well on Jeopardy! and maybe the price will go up.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Tim had $3,200, Jaime had $1,800, and Wendi had nothing in the bank. Tim wagered $1,200.

ON THE MONEY $800: The White House & the man who moved in in 1829
(Alex: For Andrew Jackson.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OPERATION $200: Overlord: launched in this month, 1944
(Alex: The D-Day invasion in [*] of 1944.)

THE GREAT LOOP $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The Great Loop, the circumnavigation of eastern North America via lakes, rivers & intracoastal waterways, was popularized by a couple who made the trip after departing from this Florida spring break Mecca in a 40-foot trawler in 1994
(Tim: What is Miami Beach?)
(Wendi: What is Daytona?)

OPERATION $600: Breadbasket: boycott of discriminatory businesses begun in 1962 by the SCLC, this
(Wendi: Uh-- oh my goodness. Uh...)

JOIN THE CONJUNCTION $400: This conjunction used to show the first of 2 options is a homophone of a word for atmospheric conditions
(Wendi: What is either [eye-ther]?)
(Tim: What is either [ee-ther]?)

THE GREAT LOOP $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports.) Loopers don't want to arrive at Waterford, New York before May 1st, around the annual time that this historic passage opens to boat traffic

OPERATION $1000: Chromite: the surprise 1950 U.S. landing at this Korean port

JOIN THE CONJUNCTION $1000: Meaning "it being the fact that", it begins many official documents like the Emancipation Proclamation

THE GREAT LOOP $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports.) On the western portion of the trip, loopers cruise several stately rivers including the Mississippi, the Tennessee & this one between Cairo & Paducah
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $6,800
Jaime: $3,600
Wendi: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DIRECTORS ON FILM (1/3)
ALLOYS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POETRY (3/4)
NOTHING BUT NET (3/5)
LET'S CALL IT A "DAY" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jaime: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Wendi: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jaime snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Tim had $8,800, Jaime had $5,600, and Wendi was at $1,200. Jaime wagered $3,400.

THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS $2000: The ark of the covenant was kept in the temple of Solomon in a room with this repetitive name
(Alex: Jaime? Not coming?)
(Jaime: What is the Room room?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jaime who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Tim had $8,800, Jaime had $2,600, and Wendi was at $1,200. Jaime wagered $2,400.

ALLOYS $1600: From the Greek for "soften", it's any alloy of mercury & another metal, such as silver in dental fillings

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S CALL IT A "DAY" $2000: Originally it meant a religious holiday marked in color on a calendar

THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS $800: "Reflect" upon it & tell us the name of this room in Versailles where Marie-Antoinette's masked wedding ball occurred
(Jaime: What is the reflecting hall?)
(Wendi: What is the mirror room?)

NOTHING BUT NET $1600: In July 1996 these 3 letters first preceded .ca & you could get online news from P.E.I. to B.C.
(Alex: And that would be the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, or the [*].)

NOTHING BUT NET $2000: This forerunner of the internet that also ends in "net" was an arm of the U.S. Defense Department
(Jaime: What is DARPANET?)

ALLOYS $2000: Stainless steel is stainless because of this element often used to plate household appliances & machine parts

POETRY $800: In "Paul Revere's Ride", "It was one by the village clock, when he galloped into" this place

DIRECTORS ON FILM $2000: He was "Gung Ho" to play Steve in "American Graffiti"

DIRECTORS ON FILM $1600: Long after "The Maltese Falcon", this director played the sinister Noah Cross in 1974's "Chinatown"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $12,400 (lock game)
Jaime: $4,200
Wendi: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds-tie for second place.
Tim: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jaime: Wager $1,400.
Wendi: Risk all $2,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of 2 states whose first-ever electoral votes were cast for Woodrow Wilson

FINAL SCORES
Wendi: $2,800 - $700 = $2,100 (What was Hawaii) (3rd place)
Jaime: $4,200 - $1,400 = $2,800 (What is Hawaii?) (2nd place)
Tim: $12,400 + $2,600 = $15,000 (What is Arizona?) (56301-day champion: $15,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $12,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jaime: $6,800, 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Wendi: $2,800, 8 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $21,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 21/59 = .356
Jaime: 11/60 = .183
Wendi: 8/58 = .138
Team: 40/63 = .635

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FUNNY LADIES $1000: Join this funny lady in "Sandy Land", her daily show on Andy Cohen's Sirius XM radio channel

FUNNY LADIES $200: In 2010, she became the youngest recipient of the Mark Twain prize for humor

ON THE MONEY $400: The loser of an 1804 duel
(Alex: Yes, Alexander Hamilton.)

ON THE MONEY $600: The sage of Monticello
(Wendi: Who is Jefferson?)

ON THE MONEY $1000: The victor of Vicksburg
(Alex: U.S. Grant.)

OPERATION $800: Wrath of God: covert Israeli campaign to avenge the deaths of Olympic athletes in this city
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

THE GREAT LOOP $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports.) Leaving Lake Michigan, loopers take either the northern Sanitary & Ship Canal or the southern Calumet-Sag channel right through this metropolis

NOTHING BUT NET $800: In 2011 this 3-letter internet giant bought the Huffington Post; in 2015 it was bought in turn by Verizon
(Wendi: Who is IBM?)

ALLOYS $1200: This alloy that's now at least 90% tin has a melting point around 500 degrees, so go ahead and pour a hot drink in your mug

POETRY $1200: In this Robert Frost poem, we are told that "two roads diverged in a yellow wood"
(Jaime: What is "The Road Less Traveled"?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the $20 bill
June
Fort Lauderdale
the Southern Christian Leadership Conference
whether
the Erie Canal
Inchon
whereas
the Ohio
the holy of holies
an amalgam
a red-letter day
the Hall of Mirrors
CBC
ARPANET
chromium
Lexington
Ron Howard
John Huston
Arizona and New Mexico
Sandra Bernhard
Tina Fey
the $10 bill
the $2 bill
the $50 bill
Munich
Chicago
AOL
pewter
"The Road Not Taken"
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of 2 states whose first-ever electoral votes were cast for Woodrow Wilson

Tim Aten: 12400+2600=15000 (4x = $71,300)
Jaime Ryan: 4200-1400=2800
Wendi Rottweiler: 2800-700=2100

Correct response:
Spoiler
(1 of) Arizona or New Mexico (Tim – Arizona) (Jaime – Hawaii) (Wendi – Hawaii)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 3200+1200
Jaime: 5600-3400
Jaime: 2600+2400

Coryats
Tim: 12000
Jaime: 6800
Wendi: 2800

Combined: 21,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WNEM dumped another Time-Life infomercial on us today. I still don't know why December is such a pre-emption fest.

I had to watch on WBKB. I saw an ad for a local radio station. Just... why?

Overlord = D-Day was a bit undervalued, given the stand and stare.

WLT Tina Fey at $200?

Fort Lauderdale = Spring Break? That clue was a little too loosely pinned. I usually think of Daytona when it comes to Florida spring break cities.

Chicago at $600 was overvalued as all hell. Surprised at the TSes on Erie Canal and Ohio River.

Blanked on White House = 20, and didn't know Vicksburg = Grant = 50.

Reflect = hall of mirrors was hard to narrow down even with the TOM.

Ran Nothing but Net.

NHO Harlem Renaissance.

WLT Spielberg at $400?

Fell into the "Road Less Traveled" trap AS ALWAYS.

Lach Trash: Ohio River, red-letter day, CBC, ARPANET.

No guess on FJ!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Tina Fey at $200?
Picture of Tina Fey. SNL + 30 Rock + Lots of Movies
TenPoundHammer wrote:FWLT Spielberg at $400?
"Close Encounters"
TenPoundHammer wrote:Fell into the "Road Less Traveled"
I precalled the neg on the show by screaming "don't buzz in if you don't know the right title!!"

FJ was an educated guess with "Arizona". I didn't know any years of entry, but I knew Arizona was right before Hawaii and Alaska. Somehow WAGed Holy of Holies on the DD

Here is Tim's Magic Card
Last edited by OSXpert on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

When they missed the Overlord clue, my jaw hit the floor hard enough to shatter the tiles. I was willing to chalk it up to nerves, or somehow not knowing its actual operational name...but then they missed Incheon. And the Erie Canal drawn on a map.

"Don't say Road Less Traveled, don't say...damnit."

Instaget FJ with Arizona. Tried to come up with the other one during the Think music, but I couldn't remember if it was NM or OK.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OSXpert wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Tina Fey at $200?
Picture of Tina Fey. SNL + 30 Rock + Lots of Movies
Yes, I have no doubt that she's a very famous person. But as always, she still looks exactly like every other actress to me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Overlord = D-Day was a bit undervalued, given the stand and stare.
I have no clue how that was a S&S.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Overlord = D-Day was a bit undervalued, given the stand and stare.
I have no clue how that was a S&S.
Why was it so obvious anyway?
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

That may have been the easiest non-Kids Week FJ in a long time. Absolutely stunned it wasn't a triple get, and that's coming from a Canadian.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

A significant portion of the trivia that I know, even if I didn't learn it from The Simpsons in the strictest sense, has certainly been reinforced by The Simpsons. Tonight's FJ was an example.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Operation Overlord in June is first box material. All the blame falls squarely on the players with none for the writers or valuation.

I knew that was Tina Fey, but there have to be thousands of better images available than the one chosen.

Jaime and Wendi did their parts to make sure Tim had the runaway by serving up the unfortunate rebounds of Jefferson/$2 and botching the (saw it coming immediately - only a matter of who would do it) Frost title. Plus, there was the missed DD for minus 3400 that made me laugh as once again there was an ark connection.

At least Jaime knew about the Defenestration of Prague.

Plenty of trash for viewers to collect from the 4th podium in a night with a 21,600 combined Coryat.

Tim salvaged less than stellar game by getting the FJ! clue correct. I joined him with Arizona. New Mexico would have been my second response if both were required.

This is Tim Aten's card he mentioned during story time?
Spoiler
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Operation Overlord in June is first box material. All the blame falls squarely on the players with none for the writers or valuation.
First I've heard of it, but war facts in general just go in one ear and out the other for me.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

xxaaaxx wrote:When they missed the Overlord clue, my jaw hit the floor hard enough to shatter the tiles. I was willing to chalk it up to nerves, or somehow not knowing its actual operational name...but then they missed Incheon. And the Erie Canal drawn on a map.
And the Ohio River on a map, with MIssissippi and Tennessee Rivers already excluded. And a picture of John Huston. Honest to goodness, what the heck? So many inexplicable stand and stares.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TPH: 41 hits for the Harlem rennaissance in the archive, including most recently when it was the response to a DD in July.

If you're aware that you can't tell actresses' faces apart, don't ask WLT them.

Agree that Ft. Lauderdale was far from obvious.

Knew FJ! was somewhere out west but I knew it wasn't that far west. Wrong is wrong though, I said Wyoming.

I'm starting to keep track of the "good for you"s Alex drops and compare them week to week. I think we're at 4 so far this week.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

xxaaaxx wrote:When they missed the Overlord clue, my jaw hit the floor hard enough to shatter the tiles. I was willing to chalk it up to nerves, or somehow not knowing its actual operational name...but then they missed Incheon. And the Erie Canal drawn on a map.

"Don't say Road Less Traveled, don't say...damnit."

Instaget FJ with Arizona. Tried to come up with the other one during the Think music, but I couldn't remember if it was NM or OK.
MarkBarrett wrote:Operation Overlord in June is first box material. All the blame falls squarely on the players with none for the writers or valuation.

I knew that was Tina Fey, but there have to be thousands of better images available than the one chosen.

Jaime did his part to make sure Tim had the runaway by serving up the unfortunate rebounds of Jefferson/$2 and botching the (saw it coming immediately - only a matter of who would do it) Frost title. Plus, there was the missed DD for minus 3400 that made me laugh as once again there was an ark connection.

At least Jaime knew about the Defenestration of Prague.

Plenty of trash for viewers to collect from the 4th podium in a night with a 21,600 combined Coryat.

Tim salvaged less than stellar game by getting the FJ! clue correct. I joined him with Arizona. New Mexico would have been my second response if both were required.

This is Tim Aten's card he mentioned during story time?
Spoiler
Had both possible correct FJ responses immediately. Felt quite similar about the Erie Canal, but I nearly said Pusan (as in the Pusan Perimeter) before remembering Incheon. And the exact same thought on the Frost poem. Not Taken = Frost, Less Traveled = M. Scott Peck.

11 LT's here: June (1944), Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Incheon, whether, whereas, Erie Canal, Ohio River, Hall of Mirrors, CBC, ARPAnet, red letter day.

I came out of that Fey clue thinking I might need to spend more time watching award show red carpets. With her hair up, I couldn't put her name to the face.

That is indeed Tim's card. I was surprised by that part of the anecdote initially. I thought he was referring to a Magic card used in regular game play, which is an honor usually reserved to M:TG World Champions (for example, Shadowmage Infiltrator and Voidmage Prodigy).
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Slam dunk FJ. Both these states celebrated 100 years.

Skullturf... How did you get that screenshot so quickly? Is that a famous Simpsons episode? I'm impressed.

Hope there would have been no BMI on Huston.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

nlw44 wrote:
And the Ohio River on a map, with MIssissippi and Tennessee Rivers already excluded. And a picture of John Huston. Honest to goodness, what the heck? So many inexplicable stand and stares.
And although I wouldn't know where to pinpoint Fort Lauderdale on a map, it has been the perenial spring break meca for as long as I can remember.

I got the less obvious Lach Trash offering of Ron Howard.
MarkBarrett wrote:At least Jaime knew about the Defenestration of Prague.
And, he knew precisely what to wager to maximize his chances of securing 2nd place money in FJ.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

doihavetoreally wrote:Skullturf... How did you get that screenshot so quickly? Is that a famous Simpsons episode? I'm impressed.
www.frinkiac.com
the official Simpsons screenshot database
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a dreadful game. Too many TSs cause me to lose all respect for the contestants and become indifferent to who wins. The champ won mostly because the middle challenger stumbled badly in DJ.

Really, how could none of the three contestants know the rather obvious:
red-letter days
Ft. Lauderdale
SCLC
Ohio River
CBC
and there was one other from J! round, I think also in the Loop category.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.