Cindy Stowell

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Cindy Stowell

Post by triviawayne »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Do you think that TPTB should donate an additional $5,000 for the TOC, or $30,267, the average payout of the 15 players?
I would just like to see them make a TOC trophy and name it for her.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Today's game should be available in 90 minutes or less:

https://vimeo.com/196673113/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

triviawayne wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Do you think that TPTB should donate an additional $5,000 for the TOC, or $30,267, the average payout of the 15 players?
I would just like to see them make a TOC trophy and name it for her.
I could have sworn there was an actual trophy - it stays in the foyer of Sony Pictures Studios, but the champs have a smaller version to keep.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:I could have sworn there was an actual trophy - it stays in the foyer of Sony Pictures Studios, but the champs have a smaller version to keep.
That's the College Championship you're thinking of.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In the days of Art Fleming, ToC winners did receive a trophy--dubbed the "Merv Griffin Award"--but it was always just a stock trophy from a trophy store. I like to imagine that some years it featured a guy bowling.
espola

Post by espola »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I'd be happy to see them donate any amount, but I don't think they have any moral obligation to do so. It's not like they can donate the money they somehow saved because Cindy didn't compete. So any money they donate will be above what they had planned for. I suppose, if the next TOC costs less than average in prize money, they could donate the "extra." That would be nice but, again, I don't see them as under any obligation.

I will say this. They're making money off Cindy. Her story has spread and I have to think they've gained some viewers, at least temporarily. Donating to Cancer Research Institute would be a mensch-y way to say thank you.
The local station that carries Jeopardy (KNSD in San Diego) has been promoting her story on their news show. And I have observed people who normally ignore J! watching with interest (my wife).
espola

Post by espola »

Robert K S wrote:In the days of Art Fleming, ToC winners did receive a trophy--dubbed the "Merv Griffin Award"--but it was always just a stock trophy from a trophy store. I like to imagine that some years it featured a guy bowling.
When I was in college the student engineering society gave an annual award to a professor that apparently was made from a golfing trophy combined with a cattle trophy, so that the golfer appeared to be throwing the bull.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

An even better tribute than Alex's words at the end. Beautiful video, which definitely brought tears to my eyes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
An even better tribute than Alex's words at the end. Beautiful video, which definitely brought tears to my eyes.
Yeah, I can't even bring myself to watch it. Maybe in a month or two. Sincere thanks to Bamaman for letting me know it's there because I do want to see it. Some day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Someone actually first shared this on the LL message board, so I can't take credit for discovering it. But, yes, if you can watch this and not at least get a lump in your throat, you are a cold individual indeed. It was very well done by the people at Jeopardy!.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Very neat, touching video. Definitely shows off more of Cindy's personality than one got to glimpse on the show. She reminds me of some of the women I've known and befriended in my very STEM-oriented high school and my STEM undergrad.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Really nice that her family was in the audience during her tapings.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Thanks for sharing that.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Bamaman wrote:Someone actually first shared this on the LL message board, so I can't take credit for discovering it. But, yes, if you can watch this and not at least get a lump in your throat, you are a cold individual indeed. It was very well done by the people at Jeopardy!.
You definitely get credit for sharing it. Thank you - I was so moved that I forgot to say so the first time.

Thinking about the video again now, unless they had her change clothes several times to make it, they did little interviews with her after (or during) the filming of each ep. I wonder how other contestants weren't aware of it and wondering what was going on. Though at least one part was done privately, because only her family and friends were in the audience, so maybe she did just change clothes to make it look as if it was done in pieces along her run.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I was thinking this morning about how the local alternate said that one of the contestants was too sick for Tuesday's tapings and had to wait until Wednesday. If it indeed was Cindy, Tim(?) very well might not have been a superchamp if not for her illness. I hope he donates some of his ToC winnings to cancer research.

Also, very touching video, Bamaman, you indeed do deserve credit for sharing it here as many of us really only use this site as an outlet for our trivia fix.
Last edited by BobF on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
brick

Post by brick »

Thank you for bringing that video here. I'm a total wreck from watching it. She really seems to have been such a genuinely thoughtful person, as well as lighthearted and funny. Her friends and family must miss her terribly. My heart goes out to them.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

BobF wrote:I was thinking this morning about how the local alternate said that one of the contestants was too sick for Tuesday's tapings and had to wait until Wednesday. If it indeed was Cindy, Tim(?) very well might not have been a superchamp if not for her illness. I hope he donates some of his ToC winnings to cancer research.
Lest this train go completely down the wrong track, I'd like to nip it in the bud:

The sick contestant that Hobie Barnes was referring to on this past episode of #JeopardyLivePanel was Yi Deng.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
BobF

Post by BobF »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
BobF wrote:I was thinking this morning about how the local alternate said that one of the contestants was too sick for Tuesday's tapings and had to wait until Wednesday. If it indeed was Cindy, Tim(?) very well might not have been a superchamp if not for her illness. I hope he donates some of his ToC winnings to cancer research.
Lest this train go completely down the wrong track, I'd like to nip it in the bud:

The sick contestant that Hobie Barnes was referring to on this past episode of #JeopardyLivePanel was Yi Deng.
Thanks for that!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

A cursory culling of some accolades...

"Amazing." - Roger Craig

"The @jeopardy crew was amazing in both getting Cindy on and in filming that in memoriam so quickly. That entire staff is the best. No lie." - Jason Sterlacci

"Thank you, @Jeopardy, for making Cindy's incredible run possible. I urge everyone to donate to http://www.cancerresearch.org/ in her honor. And thank you, Cindy, for showing that though we won't ultimately be victorious in every battle that we can fight & win & go out head high" - Cory Harris

"Cindy Stowell took down a 7-day champ, while on painkillers, suffering from stage IV cancer & a high fever. Bow down to the queen." - Liz Fritz

"This is an incredible achievement on every level." - Ken Jennings, December 14

"Cindy qualified for a Tournament of Champions she wouldn't live to see. In 2016 "bittersweet" is the best we can do." - Ken Jennings, December 21

And this last one resonated the most with me, considering the résumé of the author:
"I've been watching @Jeopardy for 30 years and what Cindy did is the most impressive thing I've ever seen on the show. RIP." - Brad Rutter

Edited to add:

The Cancer Research Institute now has a dedicated link for donations in Cindy's memory, all of which will be put toward colorectal cancer research.