Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by sarisson »

This episode will go down as one of the greatest moments in the show's history. I know the combined Coryat was only $23,000, but if Cindy (an A Rundler) had been healthy, she probably would've had $30,000.
How did that FJ go 1/3? There are only so many South American capitals.
Once again, a superchamp loses to a woman. That's the fifth time that's happened in a row. Notably, pauerpoint was the last superchamp to lose to a man, who became a superchamp himself.
Hoping for a third lap
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Like everyone else here, I was rooting for Cindy the whole way. What a phenomenal performance, especially in the circumstances. I did think she sounded as if she wasn't in the best of health, but whether I would have thought that without knowing the circumstances I don't know. Well-deserved win, and I'm looking forward to seeing her again tomorrow.

Instaget FJ; the Camino de Santiago (Way of St James) in Spain leads, as others have mentioned, to the church of Santiago de Compostela.

Did you know that you can donate to cancer causes just by clicking? Donations are possible through ad views.

Craig Research Labs for cancer research

Breast Cancer Site to fund mammograms

Breast Cancer Fund for breast cancer prevention
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Name (4), Animals (3), Greek (4), Alliteration (2), Georgia (4), Holiday (1)
Religion (2), Stan Lee (2), Books (0), Military (0), Historic (3), "THE" (5)

Lach Trash: Jimmy Carter, Blue Ridge Mountains

I got FJ at the last second by suddenly remembering the Cuba portion of the clue, then matching it with the SA capital.

Congratulations, Cindy! A Jeopardy champion forever, and a winner of life. I'm reminded of a quote from Jimmy V's ESPY speech:

"Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever."
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

Saint James = great cathedral at Compostela almost instant get. Confused Carter for Lester Maddox ( the guy before Carter). Got to Sault Saint Marie easily , Agreed this is one of those strong moments that sometimes happen on J!.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:That still doesn't help any, because I have no earthly idea what falls they are referring to. There are no falls on Lake Huron, nor are there any falls simply called "Sault Ste. Marie".
"Sault Ste Marie" translates to "St. Mary's Falls", a name given by the guy named in the clue for the cataracts (as we'd call them) that flow by what is now the cities of Sault Ste Marie MI & ON.

Clear enough now?

Brian
No, because there are no cataracts that flow by those cities.
Well now you're just trolling. Can we get this moved to the TPH thread? Cindy deserves better.
I am no TPH fan, but he is not alone on this one - he is one of three different people with firsthand knowledge of the area who are confused by the clue (and I saw a fourth on a different message board). I have no idea who is right, but I don't think it is an illegitimate thing to discuss.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

Anyone else noticed they said "1st Century B.C." on the Apostle Paul question? It should have been 1st Century A.D.
I would have rang in for Paul based on "epistle apostle", but the date caused serious hesitation.

Also, I thought the phrase "called for god to curse competing preachers" (emphasis mine) was a bit misleading. I assume it's a reference to Galatians 1. You can technically justify the way the phrased it, but I would have worded it differently. Anyway, not as bad as the "B.C." part obviously.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, Sault Ste. Marie has nothing to do with falls. There are no falls that empty directly into Lake Huron. Dafuq was that clue going on about? Can anyone explain?
Um, why do you think they need locks there? Falls is a bit of stretch, though. More like rapids.

I'll admit this was a difficult clue. My grandparent used to live in the Soo and I still missed it.
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:I am no TPH fan, but he is not alone on this one - he is one of three different people with firsthand knowledge of the area who are confused by the clue (and I saw a fourth on a different message board).
Just saw this. I guess you can add me to the list, too!
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

CailinGaoilge wrote:Like everyone else here, I was rooting for Cindy the whole way. What a phenomenal performance, especially in the circumstances. I did think she sounded as if she wasn't in the best of health, but whether I would have thought that without knowing the circumstances I don't know. Well-deserved win, and I'm looking forward to seeing her again tomorrow.

Instaget FJ; the Camino de Santiago (Way of St James) in Spain leads, as others have mentioned, to the church of Santiago de Compostela.

Did you know that you can donate to cancer causes just by clicking? Donations are possible through ad views.

Craig Research Labs for cancer research

Breast Cancer Site to fund mammograms

Breast Cancer Fund for breast cancer prevention
My understanding is that her family hoped people would donate to The Cancer Research Institute: http://www.cancerresearch.org/how-you-can-donate-now
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Cindy should be given a posthumous award for that performance.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I've been to the Soo Locks, did the boat tour and all, but that was 20 years ago and for the life of me I couldn't remember if there was a waterfall nearby. So my ignorance helped me get that one right on a guess. Ironically, the word "falls" may have been intended as a TOM for someone with a bit of French fluency, but sault is apparently archaic and wouldn't be used to describe "rapids" today... so instead it just caused confusion.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I saw no way to get "Little Drummer Boy" on Duets for $600. That clue seemed insanely wide open.
My wife got that one I believe solely on the rebound from knowing that Little Drummer Boy is a carol whose title sounds like the negged one, so the rebound was yours for the taking. (The mispeaking contestant most likely remembered the song but misspoke the title as Little Soldier Boy)

(For calibration purposes, my wife's performance is comparable to yours - actually you've been performing a little better than her lately. Only difference is she doesn't let those that are above her head get to her nor does she pester and argue about clues that are tough for her but easy for J! folk)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tough to watch (for personal reasons)but gratifying in the end. I thought that was one of the easiest FJs in quite a while. As others have noted, Santiago de Compostela was a great help. I almost went to Santiago, Chile earlier this year but opted for Buenos Aires instead.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,400
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Juliette Gordon Low, epsilon & upsilon, "The Little Drummer Boy," Jimmy Carter, blood banks, Blue Ridge Mountains, Cossacks, The Thin Man

Well done, Cindy. Based on her boyfriend's tweets, I assumed that she did not win. Glad to have been wrong.

I first learned the James/Tiago connection teaching Brazilian expatriates as a missionary in Japan.

I would pay good money to hear a mashup of "The Little Drummer Boy" and "Crank That (Soulja Boy)."

I am terrible at both movies and comic books, so even though I somehow came up the names Nightcrawler and (Nick) Fury, I clammed because I had not heard of movies with those respective titles. I also chickened out on posse comitatus.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

The Word Picture wrote:Confused Carter for Lester Maddox
I walked into that trap as well, and did a facepalm after remembering that Maddox ran a short-lived campaign for the Democratic nomination in 1968. Oy.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I whiffed a relatively easy FJ clue given that I'm fluent in Spanish (I went with Santo Domingo even though I was wondering why the Dominican Republic would be considered South American), but gosh. That was so great seeing Cindy win up there. Just finished watching the episode I recorded and I'm still getting a bit emotional. And to hear the circumstances in which she pulled that win off, that's one heck of an achievement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I've uploaded this game to Vimeo for those who weren't able to see it. There's a download link at the site for those who want to keep a copy.

https://vimeo.com/195576049

Regulars here will have seen this announcement in another thread or two. But I think we may have some visitors who don't know their way around this board. Anyway, go ahead and share the link with anyone who might be interested. Just mention Cindy's story and that her family encourages well-wishers to donate to Cancer Research Institute. If TPTB see that and still want to take the video down, I guess we'll have to live with that.

I plan on uploading Cindy's second game game as well, but it will have to be to a different account. I used up all my space for the week on this one so I could put up a nice high quality video. If she has a third game in her, I'll deal with that as well. I'm delighted to swing with as many punches as she can throw at me. Retro good luck to you, Cindy.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Congratulations to Cindy! Not only did she fulfill her goal of getting on the show, but she won a solid game against a 7-day champion. I'm sure watching the game is very bittersweet for her friends and family, but it's also an accomplishment to cherish and remember.

It was noticeable from Cindy's voice that her she was ill and likely suffering from lowered energy levels, but she managed to gut it out, regardless. Props to her.
MarkBarrett wrote: In 30 seconds I managed to only sort through about half of the South American capitals as I was thinking of a country, then its capital and they trying to translate it to make James. Fortunately, Chile was on the plus side and Santiago was superior to the capitals I dismissed.
Heh, I sorted through all the South American capitals in 30 seconds. Unfortunately, I dismissed Santiago!
mdude04 wrote:Anyone else think the Pi clue was poorly written in "It's a Greek Letter"?
Yes, it was.

Got LT of Blue Ridge Mountains, Cossacks, and The Thin Man (the latter oddly forgotten nowadays). Was kicking myself for missing another LT in The Postman Always Rings Twice, going with Double Indemnity instead. Yuck.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:I've uploaded this game to Vimeo for those who weren't able to see it. There's a download link at the site for those who want to keep a copy.

https://vimeo.com/195576049

Regulars here will have seen this announcement in another thread or two. But I think we may have some visitors who don't know their way around this board. Anyway, go ahead and share the link with anyone who might be interested. Just mention Cindy's story and that her family encourages well-wishers to donate to Cancer Research Institute. If TPTB see that and still want to take the video down, I guess we'll have to live with that.

I plan on uploading Cindy's second game game as well, but it will have to be to a different account. I used up all my space for the week on this one so I could put up a nice high quality video. If she has a third game in her, I'll deal with that as well. I'm delighted to swing with as many punches as she can throw at me. Retro good luck to you, Cindy.
I think in your similar posts in other threads, you should omit references to further Cindy episodes.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was surprised that there wasn't a special message from Alex edited into the show. Even my cat Lemma started crying after she won.
My guess is that there will be a special message when Cindy's run ends.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
BobF

Post by BobF »

mdude04 wrote:Anyone else think the Pi clue was poorly written in "It's a Greek Letter"?

"It continues with 15926535..."

I wanted to say "What is 3.14" because Pi does not "continue" with that string of numbers. That string of numbers is included in the number Pi.
Yes, because, although some are taught to use 3.14, students in advanced math are usually taught 3.14159. Maybe a better clue would have thrown in terms concerning circle and irrational.

And hooray for Cindy! I hope she was able to tell Maggie "let somebody else take my spot in the tournament of champions".

Also, near instaget FJ for me. A Cuban friend of mine told me San Diego was Saint James and I always thought Santiago sounded a lot like San Diego, but never made the connection until last night.

Plus, that first round was among my best ever. I clammed on either one or two and got the rest right.
Last edited by BobF on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!