Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CailinGaoilge »

worldwidewebster wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:Like everyone else here, I was rooting for Cindy the whole way. What a phenomenal performance, especially in the circumstances. I did think she sounded as if she wasn't in the best of health, but whether I would have thought that without knowing the circumstances I don't know. Well-deserved win, and I'm looking forward to seeing her again tomorrow.

Instaget FJ; the Camino de Santiago (Way of St James) in Spain leads, as others have mentioned, to the church of Santiago de Compostela.

Did you know that you can donate to cancer causes just by clicking? Donations are possible through ad views.

Craig Research Labs for cancer research

Breast Cancer Site to fund mammograms

Breast Cancer Fund for breast cancer prevention
My understanding is that her family hoped people would donate to The Cancer Research Institute: http://www.cancerresearch.org/how-you-can-donate-now
I understand that, and it is a great recommendation which I wholeheartedly endorse, but one does not preclude the other. If there are posters who can't afford a donation then this is something of an alternative.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Cindy came to play and played like a champ. Pray that she will return to celestial Jeopardy and play in the angels tournament of heavenly champions.

43R on pretty challenging boards IMHO. Instaget FJ, having recently reviewed the word origin of Iago while reading Othello realized that James (Iames) = Iago. In some language groups there is no 'J' but 'I' takes the hardened j-sound. Even not knowing that you ought to recognize that Spanish for Saint = Santo >Sant-Iago, Chile. No clue how they arrived at Asuncion but two players pulled it must be thinking 'Ascension' of Jesus?

LT(8): Juliette Gordon Low (girls Scouts; Little Drummer Boy (now appeared twice this season!); Jimmy Carter > 1968 gubernatorial campaign; Posse comitatus; "RWB" = Red/white/blue; "Ding! Ding!" > The Postman Always Rings Twice; "Lanky Clyde Wynant" > The Thin Man (usually clued by Nick & Nora Charles /Dashiel Hammett, usually a TS!); Siegfried line (goes with Maginot, learn the pair); cossacks. No gets on Lake huron Falls >Souix St Marie; "Joining Forces."

LOL @ most fun clue of game, instaget "Red Dawn" with Patrick Swayze = 'Krasnbiu Paccbet' retro-congrats to Cindy for a pull from the past!! We will miss you. :cry:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Cindy winning was simply incredible. Nothing else to see or say in this thread. So cool.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't get to see the episode, but I want to add in to the praise and admiration for Cindy and everything that she has achieved. She is an inspiration to us all!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:I think in your similar posts in other threads, you should omit references to further Cindy episodes.
Sigh. You're right. I'm sorry. I had a lot of trouble getting the video to encode properly last night. I spent hours on it before I got it to work right. I'm still not sure what was going wrong. By the time I posted the link, I just wanted to get the information out there and go to bed. What you say is obvious in retrospect, but it just didn't occur to me at the time.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It was a very emotional experience watching Cindy's performance, and we were all pulling for her in FJ. Those boards were very favorable for me -- I think I missed less than a handful of clues (though one was Sault Ste. Marie). As for FJ: instaget courtesy of this LL clue, which Cindy may have also recalled.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Was St. Paul 1st century BC? I thought he lived after Jesus.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

hbomb1947 wrote:WTG Cindy! You could tell that she had a low energy level (and reportedly she was suffering from a blood infection during the taping), and for her to be getting in consistently on the buzzer, and to be sharp enough to access her considerable knowledge (she was an A-rundler in Learned League) was especially impressive under the circumstances. To not only appear on J!, but to be a J! champion -- and with a sole solve on FJ, no less -- I am so happy that Cindy was able to achieve this. So now I get to root for her again tomorrow night!
I don't know where you got that information about a "blood infection." Source?

It would explain her presentation, though, if she were under the weather. The low energy and soft, whispery voice puzzled me. It seemed like the sort of thing the contestant coordinators would rule you out for if you auditioned like that. (They keep telling us, "energy! projection!")

From what you wrote I'm guessing what we saw last night was not how she auditioned.

If she was seriously ill, though, it makes her win even more impressive. Kinda like Bob Harris's description of his ToC experience. My NEXT question, though is: if you know you get one and only one chance to be on the show, and the week comes and you are really ill, don't you just figure it's not a good time to be on a show where so much is riding on having sharp mental faculties? Makes me think if that happened to me, I would call and ask to reschedule my taping.

However it went down, many congrats to the champ. And if she was ill, doubly so.

Idle question: how, when the clue references a veterans group, does no one of three contestants suss out that RWB = red, white, blue?

FJ? St. James = San Diego = Santiago = South American Capital. Done in five seconds.
BobF

Post by BobF »

John Boy wrote:
Her boyfriend's tweet upon her untimely death.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I saw no way to get "Little Drummer Boy" on Duets for $600. That clue seemed insanely wide open.
My wife got that one I believe solely on the rebound from knowing that Little Drummer Boy is a carol whose title sounds like the negged one, so the rebound was yours for the taking. (The mispeaking contestant most likely remembered the song but misspoke the title as Little Soldier Boy)
I didn't think to take the rebound, because I usually think of "carol" as suggesting something that would typically be sung in church. Something like "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" or "Silent Night". I've been a church musician for at least 13 years, and I have never heard "The Little Drummer Boy" sung in church.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BobF wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Her boyfriend's tweet upon her untimely death.
Wow. I had no idea.
davey

Post by davey »

Wonderful to watch Cindy's win. Sometimes, to be honest, I barely notice who won, but tonight's outcome was really pleasing...
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

John Boy wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:WTG Cindy! You could tell that she had a low energy level (and reportedly she was suffering from a blood infection during the taping), and for her to be getting in consistently on the buzzer, and to be sharp enough to access her considerable knowledge (she was an A-rundler in Learned League) was especially impressive under the circumstances. To not only appear on J!, but to be a J! champion -- and with a sole solve on FJ, no less -- I am so happy that Cindy was able to achieve this. So now I get to root for her again tomorrow night!

If she was seriously ill, though, it makes her win even more impressive. Kinda like Bob Harris's description of his ToC experience. My NEXT question, though is: if you know you get one and only one chance to be on the show, and the week comes and you are really ill, don't you just figure it's not a good time to be on a show where so much is riding on having sharp mental faculties? Makes me think if that happened to me, I would call and ask to reschedule my taping.
That would be the case for most people who had more than a few months left and weren't facing continued deterioration of their health in that time.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I think in your similar posts in other threads, you should omit references to further Cindy episodes.
Sigh. You're right. I'm sorry.
I don't get it. What's the issue?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
By saying I would upload Cindy's second game, I spoiled the results of the first game. (She won.) That's cool in this thread that specifically contains a spoiler warning. I shouldn't have mentioned it in the other threads.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
By saying I would upload Cindy's second game, I spoiled the results of the first game. (She won.) That's cool in this thread that specifically contains a spoiler warning. I shouldn't have mentioned it in the other threads.
Got it. I ignored the "other threads" bit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So I've never spoken a word on our champ. Honestly, this is one of the biggest "feels" moments on a game show for me. It's clear she was ill when she was competing, and she defeated a superchampion on top of that. Mad props.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

John Boy wrote:

It would explain her presentation, though, if she were under the weather. The low energy and soft, whispery voice puzzled me. It seemed like the sort of thing the contestant coordinators would rule you out for if you auditioned like that. (They keep telling us, "energy! projection!")

From what you wrote I'm guessing what we saw last night was not how she auditioned.

However it went down, many congrats to the champ. And if she was ill, doubly so.
Here's more information: http://abc13.com/entertainment/jeopardy ... g/1655024/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, her boyfriend did say she had a fever that day. And while I'm sure there have been players who had to drop out and reschedule due to a sudden illness on tape day, that clearly wasn't an option for her.

She did come across as soft-spoken, but I don't think I'd have noticed it much otherwise as we've had plenty of soft-spoken players on before. She clearly did seem to have problems carrying on a conversation in her interview, but again she is not the first to do that.

But her gameplay was spot-on. I think her only miss was the drummer boy. Did she get on solely because they thought it would be a nice story? Perhaps. But she clearly showed she deserved the call. Setting aside the psychological issue of knowing you only have a short time to live, to play like that while running a fever and any other physical pain she was suffering is very impressive.

All the promotional stuff I saw said her "episode" would air yesterday. I took that as a subtle spoiler that she had lost. Given that she was facing a seven-time champ, that wouldn't have surprised me. Then when she was way down at the end of the first round, I assumed Tim was on his way to another win. But then she came on strong, made a good DD wager and won the game on a solo get in FJ. Plus she had the lead pre-FJ, the mark of a truly strong player.

Yes, St. James=Santiago has come up on here before and that is how I got it. I did do a quick run of the other capitals that I could think of for any other possibilities but nothing came close.

Congrats to Tim on his run and good luck to him in the TOC. I know he hated to lose, but given what he already won combined with Cindy's story, I'm sure he is fine with the results.

And to echo the others, cancer does suck. Too many people die way too young from it.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

snowdenscold wrote:Anyone else noticed they said "1st Century B.C." on the Apostle Paul question? It should have been 1st Century A.D.
I would have rang in for Paul based on "epistle apostle", but the date caused serious hesitation.
Good catch. I didn't notice it, but the editors definitely should have. That's a major flub. There's no way Paul could have lived "before Christ."