Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby lbligh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Does anyone know why the Seniors Tournament was discontinued? I read somewhere that that tournament was Alex's idea, because he had noticed that older contestants tended to be slower on the buzzer. Now that I am 56, I am beginning to worry that if I ever do get The Call, I will be at a neurological disadvantage against those young whippersnappers.

Maybe the producers figure that they don't need to attract older people because we are the base viewers of Jeopardy! already?
Auditioned in Washington DC, April 2016. Hoping for "The Call"!
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music, Latin and Greek
Actively studying: U.S. Presidents, Geography, Canada
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams
User avatar
lbligh
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:27 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby georgespelvin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:14 pm

"Old people" are never an attractive demographic to get advertisers on board in commercial television. Television shows, including Jeopardy, are always trying to get a younger audience to attract advertisers. Visual bells and whistles, more pop culture categories and the Clue Crew are likely attempts to get a younger audience. I suspect that contestant selection is also made with that in mind so that you don't get a preponderance of older contestants in a single game or week. The Seniors Tournament doesn't fit in with that.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby lbligh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:20 pm

But the commercials during Jeopardy! are definitely not skewed toward millennials!
Auditioned in Washington DC, April 2016. Hoping for "The Call"!
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music, Latin and Greek
Actively studying: U.S. Presidents, Geography, Canada
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams
User avatar
lbligh
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:27 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Golf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:41 pm

lbligh wrote:I will be at a neurological disadvantage against those young whippersnappers.

Conversely, a young whippersnapper could say they are at a knowledge disadvantage because you've had 30 additional years to learn facts and information. The age of your opponents should be the 184th thing you should be thinking about when competing.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby georgespelvin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Very true. There was a clue in last night's game (which, of course, I can't repeat in this thread), which I only knew because of knowledge I knew from a news event in my lifetime.

With regard to the ads currently on Jeopardy, it doesn't matter--the quest for the younger viewer is the Holy Grail of commercial programmers whether they obtain it or not.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:58 pm

georgespelvin wrote:"Old people" are never an attractive demographic to get advertisers on board in commercial television. Television shows, including Jeopardy, are always trying to get a younger audience to attract advertisers. Visual bells and whistles, more pop culture categories and the Clue Crew are likely attempts to get a younger audience.

That would explain why a preponderance of clues in music/TV/cinema are post-2000. It's frustrating when the answer to a pop-culture clue is a show or celeb I've never heard of.
Kenny
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Magna » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:41 pm

lbligh wrote:Does anyone know why the Seniors Tournament was discontinued? I read somewhere that that tournament was Alex's idea, because he had noticed that older contestants tended to be slower on the buzzer. Now that I am 56, I am beginning to worry that if I ever do get The Call, I will be at a neurological disadvantage against those young whippersnappers.

This might be part of a plan to sell more Aleve to prospective contestants.
User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
 
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby pauerpoint » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:21 pm

I seem to recall this question coming up (either on set or in the green room) when I was on the show, and either Alex or somebody else saying TPTB concluded that seniors did *not* after all need their own tournament, because seniors are just as capable of succeeding at regular games of J! as anybody else. I haven't done any analysis, so I have no idea if that claim is true, but I myself had a couple of close games against older contestants (most notably Margaret Miles, who had impeccable buzzer timing).
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby dhkendall » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:08 am

pauerpoint wrote:I seem to recall this question coming up (either on set or in the green room) when I was on the show, and either Alex or somebody else saying TPTB concluded that seniors did *not* after all need their own tournament, because seniors are just as capable of succeeding at regular games of J! as anybody else. I haven't done any analysis, so I have no idea if that claim is true, but I myself had a couple of close games against older contestants (most notably Margaret Miles, who had impeccable buzzer timing).


The Teachers Tournament would tend to disprove that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
 
Posts: 7789
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Blue Lion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:23 am

georgespelvin wrote:With regard to the ads currently on Jeopardy, it doesn't matter--the quest for the younger viewer is the Holy Grail of commercial programmers whether they obtain it or not.


In Detroit, you can count on seeing at least two ads for prescription drugs on every episode of Jeopardy.
User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby lbligh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12 am

My teenaged daughter makes fun of the geezer ads but she also jeers at the teen tournament for pandering and trying too hard. She was particularly scornful of the opening design for the teen tournament. I think it's hard to win over the young people so coveted by TV producers and advertisers.
Auditioned in Washington DC, April 2016. Hoping for "The Call"!
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music, Latin and Greek
Actively studying: U.S. Presidents, Geography, Canada
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams
User avatar
lbligh
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:27 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby BobF » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:41 am

Blue Lion wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:With regard to the ads currently on Jeopardy, it doesn't matter--the quest for the younger viewer is the Holy Grail of commercial programmers whether they obtain it or not.


In Detroit, you can count on seeing at least two ads for prescription drugs on every episode of Jeopardy.


And how many for the non-prescription variety? :-)
Just finished my second swim in the Jeopardy! contestant pool. :-(
User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD

Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby OrangeSAM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:33 am

I know I left it around here somewhere.
OCSam
User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby triviawayne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:07 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:I know I left it around here somewhere.


Did you look behind the couch?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
User avatar
triviawayne
Got a Congratulations Email!
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Bamaman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7814
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby OntarioQuizzer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Bamaman wrote:Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.


I've seen some of those commercials. Those are... interesting advertisements.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/
User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Volante » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:54 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.


I've seen some of those commercials. Those are... interesting advertisements.

LAW HAWK!
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 4689
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby BobF » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Most of the commercials I see involve people named Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Raj, Howard, Bernadette and Amy.

Who watches commercials any more? I simply flip to the next channel down and look at the Big Bang Theory repeat.
Just finished my second swim in the Jeopardy! contestant pool. :-(
User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby harrumph » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:40 pm

triviawayne wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:I know I left it around here somewhere.


Did you look behind the couch?

That's where I keep the remote.
User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 am
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Whatever happened to the Seniors Tournament?

Postby Blue Lion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Bamaman wrote:Personal injury lawyers make up a lot of ads on my station.


Three Detroit-area personal-injury firms in particular carpet-bomb the local stations with ads. One of the three, the Sam Bernstein Law Firm, even bought the naming rights to the Tigers' pre- and post-game shows during baseball season (I think the firm does the same thing with Red Wings games). Those ads must bring in business; and even if they don't, they gave the Bernsteins enough name recognition to get one of Sam's sons elected to the state supreme court and another elected to the University of Michigan Board of Regents.
User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Next

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jeff6286, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests