Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:The Jim Carrey clue mentioned his role in The Duck Factory. The series lasted only 13 episodes, but it holds a special place in my heart. The little ice skater in this clip (skip to 8:30) eventually grew up and, long story short, agreed to marry me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMyLh5cMok
Awwww.....
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

ElendilPickle wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:The Jim Carrey clue mentioned his role in The Duck Factory. The series lasted only 13 episodes, but it holds a special place in my heart. The little ice skater in this clip (skip to 8:30) eventually grew up and, long story short, agreed to marry me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMyLh5cMok
Awwww.....

You're a lucky man, Matty! Looks like a swell show to me, a pity they cancelled.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Elijah Baley wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I also thought the Hawaiian Airlines clue was kind of neg-baity; Pan-Am was well-known for pioneering trans-oceanic routes with innovative (for the time) aircraft that involved many intermediate stops, so Oakland to Honolulu would have totally fit in with that.
I think it was super nega-baity. Copies of Pan Am posters for flights to Hawaii have been around for years. I guess Hawaiian Airlines would seem like a good guess if one had never seen those posters, but I think they were definitely trying to bait people into the wrong answer on that one.
I thought the implication in the clue that their flights are faster now would have steered more away from a defunct airline.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: The Jim Carrey clue mentioned his role in The Duck Factory. The series lasted only 13 episodes, but it holds a special place in my heart. The little ice skater in this clip (skip to 8:30) eventually grew up and, long story short, agreed to marry me.
That's awesome. Does she still skate?
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I also thought the Hawaiian Airlines clue was kind of neg-baity; Pan-Am was well-known for pioneering trans-oceanic routes with innovative (for the time) aircraft that involved many intermediate stops, so Oakland to Honolulu would have totally fit in with that.
I think it was super nega-baity. Copies of Pan Am posters for flights to Hawaii have been around for years. I guess Hawaiian Airlines would seem like a good guess if one had never seen those posters, but I think they were definitely trying to bait people into the wrong answer on that one.
I thought the implication in the clue that their flights are faster now would have steered more away from a defunct airline.
That's very possible; I can't remember the clue exactly but I latched onto "Hawaii" and "flights" and "1930s" (or "40s" - I can't even remember that right now).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

mrparadise wrote:You're a lucky man, Matty!
Indeed I am.
This Is Kirk! wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: The Jim Carrey clue mentioned his role in The Duck Factory. The series lasted only 13 episodes, but it holds a special place in my heart. The little ice skater in this clip (skip to 8:30) eventually grew up and, long story short, agreed to marry me.
That's awesome. Does she still skate?
When we first got married, she skated and coached on weekends, but she hasn't done either in the last few years. I need to encourage her to get back at it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
IronNeck wrote:The answer was assaying.
I know, but it said it was one letter off from a word meaning "to try", and I have NHO essay in any other context besides those things you write in school.
Bamaman wrote:Also, the maple leaf on the tail was a pretty big hint to Air Canada even if you have never heard of it.
Because all US airlines are called Air America, right? It could have just as easily been Canadian Air, Canadian Airlines, Canada Airlines, Maple Leaf Airlines, or Snerfurgleburgen (why not? Australia's is called Qantas...)
Wait, how on earth do you know Australia's is called Qantas? You must fly all the time!
Easy. Qantas trips my Hawley-Smoot filter.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

State Abbrev. - RIND came to me immediately and the abbreviations fit, so no need to brainstorm peel, zest, skin. Loved that category, easy money and it was clear they wanted the state names until Alex gave his explanatory remarks, presumably for the benefit of slower thinkers at home. Also would have gone TDD on that one.

FJ was brutal. I should have just stared at the picture, but not sure that would have helped me get to LFB. Given my low get rate, I think I need to gun for a lock if I ever get on the show.