Monday, December 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7431, 2016-12-26

CONTESTANTS
Stephanie Schlatter, a stay-at-home parent from Toledo, Ohio
Wren Allen, a botanical artist from Santa Fe, New Mexico
Sam Scovill, a G.I.S. technician from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (whose 3-day cash winnings total $56,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And to all of our fans in Canada, happy Boxing Day. Let's see if we can't make this last week of the year an exciting one, particularly for our winners, with big financial victories. Sam, Wren, and Stephanie, good luck. Let's go to work now.

Here are your categories for the first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GRAND MARSHALS OF THE ROSE PARADE (4/5)
LITERARY TERMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON "EDGE" (5/5)
PICK YOUR BATTLE (5/5)
MORE THAN AN ATHLETE (4/5)
YOU'RE THE BALM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wren: 11 R, 1 W
Sam: 10 R, 1 W
Stephanie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Sam had $1,400, Wren had $800, and Stephanie was at $1,000. Stephanie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

LITERARY TERMS $1000: It can mean a decorative border of vines, or, in literature, a short anecdote
(Stephanie: What is a quip?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $1,400
Wren: $800
Stephanie: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Stephanie Schlatter is a stay-at-home mom from Toledo, Ohio, who once had a fortuitous event in a bookstore. What was it?

Stephanie: I did. My husband Scott and I love to go to used bookstores. There was a fabulous one, sadly no longer with us, in Toledo. But we found--I picked up an old copy of The Shining, by Stephen King. And I was just perusing it, and opened up the inside cover, and my husband's grandma's name was written inside. And she had passed away several years prior, so it was amazing that I just picked up this book and there was her name.

Alex: Coincidence.

Stephanie: Yes.

Alex: Amazing.

Alex: Wren Allen, botanical artist from New Mexico.

Wren: Yes.

Alex: Who enjoyed a life-changing experience on the Amazon. I hope it wasn't a dangerous experience.

Wren: No, not at all. My husband Larry had had a job transfer to Brazil, and so the local international club offered a botanical painting workshop on a boat in the Amazon. And just seeing all the wildlife and plants there really and doing the workshop really kind of inspired me to go in the direction--

Alex: How far up the Amazon did you go? Did you go up to Manaus?

Wren: We started in Manaus--

Alex: Oh.

Wren: And went up the Rio Negro, the Rio Negro and the Rio Solimoes, where they meet together at the Meeting of the Waters.

Alex: Fascinating stuff. Okay. Great.

Alex: Sam Scoville is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He used to host a comedy open mic, and hecklers... A number of hecklers got to nailing you with the same critique. What was it?

Sam: They called me Drew Carey.

Alex: Oh, really?

Sam: Yeah.

Alex: This was before you grew the beard.

Sam: Oh, it's--no, I had the beard and everything.

Alex: Really?

Sam: Didn't stop 'em.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MORE THAN AN ATHLETE $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Here's the 1980 Marathon of Hope run by this one-legged Canadian hero, who covered 3,339 miles in 143 days to support cancer research
(Wren: Who is Kelly?)

GRAND MARSHALS OF THE ROSE PARADE $400: This beloved L.A. personality did the honors in 2014
(Alex: And he just retired this year. [*]. Famous broadcaster.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Wren: $5,400
Sam: $4,400
Stephanie: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOONS & PLANETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this moon refers to the mythical group that its planet’s name belonged to

Sam Scovill: 6600+6600=13200
Wren Allen: minus 2200
Stephanie Schlatter: 7000+6201=13201 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Titan

Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 1000-1000
Sam: 6000+1000
Sam: 6200+1200

Coryats
Sam: 6400
Wren: minus 2200
Stephanie: 8000

Combined: 12,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, December 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

Sam makes timid DD bets but bets it all in FJ for no reason at all. I think he also erred in going to the movie category at the end when it was a close game and a get in nonfiction gives him the lead. Guessing the already used Angelina Jolie cost him a fourth win.

I wish he had just given the gay football player's last name.

Instaget FJ.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

FJ should've been an instaget for me, but I was thinking only of Jupiter. Guessed Io because I know J writers often use it as an answer, even though it made no sense with the clue (the mythological group its planet was a member of).

Like a dunce, I replied Osama bin Laden for the man on the 1980 cover of Time even though I was in college when Khomeini was Time's MOTY. Got my Islamic radicals mixed up. Should've run that category.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Both my kids knew the Terry Fox clue without even looking at the screen. (To be fair, Terry Fox has been taught in Canadian classrooms all over the country for the past 35 years). Have no idea where the "Kelly?" response came from though.

Got Final pretty quickly even though I thought Titan was a Uranian moon. But since I also figured Uranus was a Titan ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch. That DJ round was tough to watch.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Missed the first half of the J! round because my sister has everything plugged into her TV, and I had to wrestle with 3 different remotes and an Xbox controller just to get to TV.

Wren seemeed really flustered. Ringing in twice, giving a lot of wrong responses, lots of blanking out.

NHO Battle of Midway.

Also NHO Ryan Gosling, and don't recognize any of the movies he's been in either.

My mind always pavlovs Patagonia to Chile because of Chilean sea bass, and I can't for the life of me undo it.

I've heard "gildED", but never just "gild" by itself to my knowledge.

My brain always craps out on moons. I can remember Phobos and Deimos because for the longest time I could only ever pull one of the two, and I can remember Io because it's short, but other than that, none of them ever stick. No guess.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So, between the three of them, they actually LOST 1400 in the DJ round. Yikes. Also not sure why he headed for the worst category on the board when he needed a quick 400 to tie...

...but he only needed it because of yet another day of pitiful DD wagers, which finally did him in after a super-instaget FJ. But of course he won 3 games first.

Seriously though, back to the drawing board with movie trivia. Been a while since a movie category has eaten me alive with zero recognition.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I've heard "gildED", but never just "gild" by itself to my knowledge.
I had "gilt". I'm assuming it was wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

dhkendall wrote:Both my kids knew the Terry Fox clue without even looking at the screen. (To be fair, Terry Fox has been taught in Canadian classrooms all over the country for the past 35 years). Have no idea where the "Kelly?" response came from though.
I have to admit I was disappointed when that clue was a triple stumper... but then the Vin Scully one was too and it made my disappointment lessen.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I've heard "gildED", but never just "gild" by itself to my knowledge.
I had "gilt". I'm assuming it was wrong.
"To gild the lily..." IMHO "GILT" would be acc as it also means to be gold-plated. Judges?

Was 'waif' in a 4-ltr cat? Didn't catch that and offered 'foundling.' Instaget FJ, my wheelhouse!

42R; LT: salinity, SapienS. Tough boards IMHO and close at the end. Too much guessing! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

This might've been the worst-played game of the year! I'm an American and I knew who Terry Fox was & what he did.it was nice to see it on a map though. I missed FJ as I didn't quite understand the wording but I think my mind got distracted during DJ.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $25,400
37 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Terry Fox, Vin Scully, Kenneth Branagh

Brutal, brutal game. Sam showed very little in terms of strategy during his run, and tonight it bit him on the backside. It was tough to watch Wren wilt under The Lights like that.

Never thought of the etymology of "vignette" before.
Lore wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Both my kids knew the Terry Fox clue without even looking at the screen. (To be fair, Terry Fox has been taught in Canadian classrooms all over the country for the past 35 years). Have no idea where the "Kelly?" response came from though.
I have to admit I was disappointed when that clue was a triple stumper... but then the Vin Scully one was too and it made my disappointment lessen.
I just about threw something at my TV when they didn't recognize Vin. The Terry Fox clue was timely for me. I missed the 30 For 30 documentary about him when it originally aired, but my DVR picked it up yesterday during a Christmas Day marathon on one of the ESPN networks. I guess I should get to watching it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

xxaaaxx wrote:So, between the three of them, they actually LOST 1400 in the DJ round. Yikes.
Yikes indeed. Archivists: if it's not too much of a hassle, when was the last time the combined Coryat in the DJ round was negative? It may never have happened, even in the Celebrity games. AP would call that round "a three-Edsel pile-up."
At least the two survivors of that wreck got FJ. If you get more than double the combined Coryat and FJ right, does that count as a win from the fourth?
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I know who he is but called him Terry Clark for some reason.

I did get Scully.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:I know who he is but called him Terry Clark for some reason.
I do know that Terri Clark is easy on the eyes, but hard on the heart.

And I have better things to do than make references to 90s country artists.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Alex makes a point to commend all three for having good scores at the end of the J round and then they totally fall flat in DJ. No harm, no foul.
I will miss the one thing I looked forward to seeing Sam play for: his amusing FJ wagers.

We'll have to wait for Stephanie's second game to see if she can hold her own against stronger opponents.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:But since I also figured Uranus was a Titan ...
Close ... he was father of the titans, but not one himself.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

goatman wrote: Was 'waif' in a 4-ltr cat? Didn't catch that and offered 'foundling.'
I said "runt." Judges?

NHO Terry Whatshisname. But at least I knew Vin Scully.

Also NHO the Engish poet Henley who wrote "I am the captain of my soul." Googled him later and apparently that poem, "Invictus" is all he is known for: a 19th century 1-hit wonder.
Last edited by Kenny on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.