Sploofus thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by cheezguyty »

boson wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm If I check my unanswered questions, it lists March 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 - and gives me a chance to answer them. Some weird time travel trivia going on.
Those are the expiration dates (ten days after each question is sent).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

cheezguyty wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm
boson wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm If I check my unanswered questions, it lists March 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 - and gives me a chance to answer them. Some weird time travel trivia going on.
Those are the expiration dates (ten days after each question is sent).
Oops, I missed that. Thanks! Did them all now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
The site was down for several days. I checked now and was able to play catch-up with four questions. During the down time I did not get the emails although I would expect one tonight with everything working again. I've missed 3 or 4 this month, so I'm lucky to currently be on page 1 at least. For now.
If I check my unanswered questions, it lists March 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 - and gives me a chance to answer them. Some weird time travel trivia going on.
Are you sure it doesn't say that these questions *expire* on those days? Because I can't usually find what day the questions are from, but the missed questions page tells you when they expire.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Woof wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
The site was down for several days. I checked now and was able to play catch-up with four questions. During the down time I did not get the emails although I would expect one tonight with everything working again. I've missed 3 or 4 this month, so I'm lucky to currently be on page 1 at least. For now.
Yup, the emails started back up today and I fell off the front page once everyone caught up on their unanswered questions.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 pm
Yup, the emails started back up today and I fell off the front page once everyone caught up on their unanswered questions.
*nod* I was #1 for a few minutes yesterday. Now, I'm back at #90.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Still trying to figure out how they time these things. I answered two questions today and was at 14 and 9 seconds, but they both loaded really slow. The 9 second one, I knew the answer as I read the question, without even looking at the answers. I was at a couple seconds max. The 14 second one, I know I was well under ten. I'd say the timing of two question costs me around 400 points today.

Someday's there is little delay in timing, others its pretty bad. I don't think there is any way I could score over 1600 on a question, even if I picked an answer and hit enter without even looking at the question.

Right now, I'm on the front page, but I'd be willing to bet these little delays have easily cost me over 1000 points for the month, maybe even as much as 2000.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Congrats to all the boardies who made the March leaderboard! Another Stevens alum, gobobbygo, came in first. Yours truly finished 80th.
Does everyone get the same questions every day? I missed today's only because there was a huge delay after I went to view the question. I got the right answer but it said I ran out of time. :x
Hoping for a third lap
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

sarisson wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37 am Does everyone get the same questions every day?
No. It's widely believed, though, that each person gets the same question at a given level.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:18 pm
sarisson wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37 am Does everyone get the same questions every day?
No. It's widely believed, though, that each person gets the same question at a given level.
Before I answered the April 1 question. I got on the monthly results, which was one day. Around 10% of the people had a score of 0, meaning about 90% were getting the April 1 question correct.

I precede to get a question, that I'm pretty sure I've never heard of in my life. My answer was pure random guess. It tells you the percentage of the people getting the question correct. It was at 25.something%, since guessing would get it right 20% of the time. Let's just say, it was a pretty brutal question, and it wasn't what people were getting correct 90% of the time.

Sarrison, I believe we are both newbies on that site. If you got a US State question that was pretty obscure, then we got the same one.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I might have asked this before, but do you all play the weekly Trivia Showdown over on Sploofus? I've been a member for about 2.5 years, and I can almost count on one hand the number of people who have challenged me or responded to a challenge. I hope I see more activity there as I slowly move up the ranks -- it's not much fun to win by default almost every time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Andromus wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm I might have asked this before, but do you all play the weekly Trivia Showdown over on Sploofus? I've been a member for about 2.5 years, and I can almost count on one hand the number of people who have challenged me or responded to a challenge. I hope I see more activity there as I slowly move up the ranks -- it's not much fun to win by default almost every time.
I've been challenged 3 times recently after very few over the past however many years. Yes, I think being at the top of the leaderboard a few days had something to do with it. I've now missed two this month, so not a problem anymore.

Tonight I missed, How many operas did Gustav Mahler compose? My reaction was, "How the ___ would I know?" and I clicked whatever number was by my cursor. Ha ha, very funny, Sploofus, as the answer turned out to be zero as he did symphonies and stuff, but not operas. :twisted:
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:50 am
Tonight I missed, How many operas did Gustav Mahler compose? My reaction was, "How the ___ would I know?" and I clicked whatever number was by my cursor. Ha ha, very funny, Sploofus, as the answer turned out to be zero as he did symphonies and stuff, but not operas. :twisted:
Wish I would have got that question. Instead, I got a really crazy question regarding French named Islands that really defied logic. I mean it defied all logic. I missed it on what I thought was a solid guess, and only 3.5% of the people are getting it right. The location of the answer has basically no relation to France ever.

I think a lot of it is luck of the draw. For me, the questions this month have been much harder than last month. Too many misses.
Woof

Post by Woof »

For the last few days, I've noticed different behavior from the server. Whereas before, I would the timer "counting down" on the right, now it seems to just remain black and motionless. On the positive side, I no longer see server lag: my times seem to accurately reflect my response time (typically 4-6 sec). Anyone else seeing similar behavior?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

So I made the leaderboard in February and March, but this month, I'll finish in the 300's. I got 18/30 correct, mostly due to many of the clues having <30% get rates. April is the cruelest month.
Hoping for a third lap
Woof

Post by Woof »

Interesting. I got nuked as well, missing 5-6 in April compared to my average of 2 per month. Gratz to Reddpen for a masterful performance this month.
Leander

Post by Leander »

April was probably my worst month ever. Nice to see I have some company.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Redpen had a great month. Nice job.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am Interesting. I got nuked as well, missing 5-6 in April compared to my average of 2 per month. Gratz to Reddpen for a masterful performance this month.
Ditto. Just barely above 300 right now.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Oddly, I had an answer that showed correct and a point total, but the amount was never added to my monthly total. Had it functioned properly, I MIGHT have made top 10; Reddpen, though, was a monster in April.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Leander wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:27 pm April was probably my worst month ever. Nice to see I have some company.
Well, it is the cruelest month ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012