Monday, January 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, January 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: If Mukund had remembered the category of COMPANY "B" I wonder if he could have figured out Best Buy? $2000 more for the FJ! round would have been enough to win on the sole solve. Wormhole instead of tesseract would have done the trick as well.
That could have been countered back if Gavin hadn't gifted him the Alan Shepard rebound in the first round. I stomped my foot when Gavin guessed John Glenn. :x
I don't remember whether it was the $1000 clue though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Why is Venus hotter than Mercury? That doesn't make any sense.
Tyson explained it in the answer.

How about a TOM or something in this clue, huh?!
Did you not read my comment?

Bamaman wrote:What gave it to me was the years. Right after
WWI to right before WWII.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:Anybody else think the neg on protestant work ethic was unfair? Here's the clue:
  • MAX WEBER, A FOUNDER OF MODERN SOCIOLOGY,
    WROTE OF THIS RELIGIOUS "ETHIC AND THE
    SPIRIT OF CAPITALISM
Ok, I concede that they appear to be looking for an exact title. Is that 100% required by J! rules though? I mean, there's no question that Weber wrote about the protestant work ethic in that book. (Also the Calvinist work ethic and maybe the puritan work ethic, which is why I clammed.) At the very least, the clue is unfortunately worded so as to require "protestant" and disallow "protestant work ethic". Is the title of that work more famous than I realized so that we should all know the title as well as the concept?
I think the title is famous enough, but I probably would have accepted PWE. If it helps to justify the judges' decision, using Amazon Search Inside the Book on the Oxford University Press translation, the phrase "work ethic" doesn't appear in the text (thought it does in the scholarly apparatus including the introduction, and Library of Congress cataloging information describes the subject as "Protestant work ethic").
davey

Post by davey »

rpg wrote:
morbeedo wrote:several unfortunate slips tonight: the light between "the oceans", demographics and exoplasm (wondering if the last one is an acceptable variant)

just ugh
I wouldn't be surprised if "demographics" were accepted, at least.

Surprised to see two UN guesses. Thought the League of Nations was a WECIB? kind of answer.
I wondered about demographics too...
FJ took a few seconds, but I finally realized the significance of the dates.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I liked this FJ a lot. I didn't get it right away. My first thought was FIFA (which had been one of my precalls during the commercial break) because the years seemed vaguely plausible, as did the presence of a Spanish-sounding name along with a French-sounding name. (I also wondered very very briefly whether it was a Nobel Prize selection committee or something?)

I didn't recognize any of the names at all, which made me realize -- we're probably not supposed to recognize those exact names. Just the fact that the names look like they come from several different countries, and the given dates of 1920-1939 are pretty much the period between the two World Wars.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Why is Venus hotter than Mercury? That doesn't make any sense.
Tyson explained it in the answer.
I need to see the words to that clue again.
Whereas I immediately figured that was irrelevant background noise. AS USUAL.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38/59 right.

Food (4), Paranormal (5), NFL (4), Social (4), Quotes (2), "WAR" (3)
Company "B" (0), Flags (4), Tom (4), General (4), Book (1), Tyson (3)

Lach Trash: demographics (I'm guessing that it would've been a "we'll accept that"), Bourbon County (my southern neighbor), Cayenne, Colombia, voting; DD: wormhole

Instaget FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Whereas I immediately figured that was irrelevant background noise. AS USUAL.
There were two key pieces of information:

1. A list of people you (as well as me and probably most everybody else here) have never heard of
2. The years 1920-1939

The names were the useless background noise.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: There were two key pieces of information:

1. A list of people you (as well as me and probably most everybody else here) have never heard of
2. The years 1920-1939

The names were the useless background noise.
And I figured they were going to use one of those "here are some names that kinda sorta vaguely sound like they come from the region they want" puzzles like they so often do (cf. It's Just Gorge-ous for $400 in this game, where obscure-ass names like "Kali Gandaki Gorge", "Dhaulagiri", and "Annapurna" were somehow supposed to steer you to the Himalayas).
Golf

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:where obscure-ass names like "Kali Gandaki Gorge", "Dhaulagiri", and "Annapurna" were somehow supposed to steer you to the Himalayas).
Those are two of the top 10 highest mountains on Earth. Anybody who knows anything about mountaineering knows where they are. Anybody that has studied the highest mountains for trivial purposes knows where they are.

People just know stuff. Because they enjoy learning. Or because they want to acquire enough knowledge to be on Jeopardy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Golf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:where obscure-ass names like "Kali Gandaki Gorge", "Dhaulagiri", and "Annapurna" were somehow supposed to steer you to the Himalayas).
Those are two of the top 10 highest mountains on Earth. Anybody who knows anything about mountaineering knows where they are. Anybody that has studied the highest mountains for trivial purposes knows where they are.

People just know stuff. Because they enjoy learning. Or because they want to acquire enough knowledge to be on Jeopardy.
But when do they ever ask for the tenth-superlative of anything at $200? "Annapurna" has only five other hits in the archive, so it's not like it's "well, everybody knows it" material.

Can you name the tenth-biggest of anything else?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Golf wrote:

But when do they ever ask for the tenth-superlative of anything at $200? "Annapurna" has only five other hits in the archive, so it's not like it's "well, everybody knows it" material.

10 is the tenth-biggest positive number.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Golf wrote:

10 is the tenth largest positive number.
Wouldn't it be the tenth-smallest?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Based on the news ticker running on the monitor wall behind Mike and Mike, their video clue was recorded April 28, 2010. Hard to believe J! didn't get around to using it sooner.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:Is "tesseract" definitively wrong as a name for an Einstein-Rosen bridge?
Yes.

The Tesseract was a MacGuffin in Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers.
Heimdall, as we learn in Thor, creates Einstein-Rosen bridges to allow travel between the different realms.

It's like you can't keep up with modern scientific research!

(Yes, apparently tesseracts are real things...but not as funny. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Volante wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Is "tesseract" definitively wrong as a name for an Einstein-Rosen bridge?
Yes.

The Tesseract was a MacGuffin in Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers.
Heimdall, as we learn in Thor, creates Einstein-Rosen bridges to allow travel between the different realms.

It's like you can't keep up with modern scientific research!

(Yes, apparently tesseracts are real things...but not as funny. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract )
I think he was thinking of A Wrinkle in Time. "In the novel, the tesseract functions more or less like what in modern science-fiction is called a space warp or a wormhole, a portal from one area of space to another which is possible through the bending of the structure of the space-time continuum. This meaning is unrelated to the mathematical notion of a tesseract, a shape analogous to a cube in a space with four spatial dimensions."
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

trainman wrote:Based on the news ticker running on the monitor wall behind Mike and Mike, their video clue was recorded April 28, 2010. Hard to believe J! didn't get around to using it sooner.
They did whole categories about the "greatest in sports" in 2010 and 2011, but we saw all 5 clues both times, so it's not a 'leftover' in that regard. They obviously taped more clues than they needed, but yeah that's a long time to hold on to an unused clue.

Good thing most people won't notice the news ticker behind them. "1st round draft pick Dez Bryant"? Heh. "Darren Sharper..."? Yikes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How can TPH recall a clue from almost two years ago but can't remember anything else we tell him?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wouldn't it be the tenth-smallest?
The 10th-largest under 11.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Wouldn't it be the tenth-smallest?
The 10th-largest under 11.
Still not sure you're getting this right. Have you been getting math lessons from TPH?