Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

silverscreentest wrote:
A certified iconic role introduced in 1963 was Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in The Pink Panther. The category should have been labeled something more generic like "LITERATURE INTO FILM"
I'll agree with that. It provides a needed added TOM for a clue that does seem to have been - I await the weekly poll - exceptionally difficult. I don't know that I would have gotten it if the title hadn't been a recent FJ, putting me in mind of the movie. As it is, it's always a title I have trouble dredging up and I almost didn't.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

silverscreentest wrote: My closed captioning read "[imitating Boris Karloff as Dracula] Dracula, yes." Of course, Alex was imitating Bela Lugosi as Dracula...Unless the captioner thought the impression was so bad it sounded like Boris Karloff. Might as well be imitating Bob Dylan as Dracula.:)
dinghammer coined the term, "Draccent" on this board and I've always like that one as the description for what Alex attempts. Multiple times a season. It's like Alex's "Bogey" that the writers seem to have on a quota system.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woppy T wrote:
John Boy wrote:
This reminds me of when I was trying to explain the word "iconic" to my tweener goddaughter, and mentioned "iconic bands" such as the Beatles. She brightened with understanding and said, "Oh, like One Direction?" Uh, not quite, honey. There's a bit of a difference between "iconic" and "flavor of the month."
I am not going to compare One Direction to the Beatles or try to argue that they are "iconic." However, I would argue that they are more than the "flavor of the month." They have been around since 2010, so many kids have not known a world in which One Direction wasn't a big deal.
Kind of crazy if you think about it. One Direction is roughly at the point in their recording careers that The Beatles were when Sgt. Pepper's was released.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:"I also had a problem with the writers pinning a Wings song "from 1977", when Maybe I'm Amazed actually originated in 1970. I wouldn't have buzzed in because I had no idea what the first part of the B&A was on that clue, but I was sitting there scratching my head trying to think of a McCartney song from that year.
Please leave the live version retro-releases in the archives from now on.
It wasn't a Wings song in 1970.
Oh, that's right. Same exact song except Denny Laine played guitar on the '1977' version (recorded on tour in 1976). All the more reason to throw the clue out.
Why?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:"I also had a problem with the writers pinning a Wings song "from 1977", when Maybe I'm Amazed actually originated in 1970. I wouldn't have buzzed in because I had no idea what the first part of the B&A was on that clue, but I was sitting there scratching my head trying to think of a McCartney song from that year.
Please leave the live version retro-releases in the archives from now on.
It wasn't a Wings song in 1970.
Oh, that's right. Same exact song except Denny Laine played guitar on the '1977' version (recorded on tour in 1976). All the more reason to throw the clue out.
Why?
Yeah, seemed like a fine clue to me. Most people are going to be familiar with the 1977 live version that was released as a single. If you know enough that it was also an album track on McCartney's 1970 solo album it seems like you'd also be familiar with the later Wings version.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

When Alex announced the change in scoring, he mentioned how the player left out "Baby," but I couldn't remember which clue he was talking about. I wish I would've at least alluded to it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

thenextofken wrote:When Alex announced the change in scoring, he mentioned how the player left out "Baby," but I couldn't remember which clue he was talking about. I wish I would've at least alluded to it.
How could anyone ever leave out the baby???
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

thenextofken wrote:When Alex announced the change in scoring, he mentioned how the player left out "Baby," but I couldn't remember which clue he was talking about. I wish I would've at least alluded to it.
Looks like you missed the clue and I missed the score correction. It was in the music Before & After category that was something like "Britney Spears' breakout single 'hit me' with Cyndi Lauper's anthem that goes on and on" (definitely paraphrasing here...).

The contestant said "Hit Me One More Time After Time" when it should've been "...Baby One More Time After Time."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yeah, how was I supposed to know? :lol:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Lefty wrote:"Lord of the Flies" is up there with Pygmalion and Fahrenheit 451 as FJ fodder. And it hadn't come up since 2016. Also, "spectacles" sounds like what an English kid might say. I wouldn't call the film or any role in it "classic" but this hardly minimized my confidence that it was the answer.
I think my weakness in movies helped here. Piggy jumped to mind immediately - the quote sounded like an English kid. Then I spent 29 seconds wondering if there had ever been a LotF movie.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

silverscreentest wrote:
John Boy wrote:Thank you. I was trying to articulate my difficulty with this FJ as well:

Classic Movie Roles:

Rick Blaine in Casablanca (I truly thought this exactly)
Moses in The Ten Commandments
even Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark

Uh, Piggy in LOTF? I really don't think so....
Even Alfonso Bedoya and Estelle Reiner had more memorable classic roles than Hugh Edwards as Piggy in the 1963 Lord of the Flies.
Spoiler
Alfonso Bedoya said,"I don't have to show you any stinking badges," in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Estelle Reiner said,"I'll have what she's having," in When Harry Met Sally.
A certified iconic role introduced in 1963 was Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in The Pink Panther. The category should have been labeled something more generic like "LITERATURE INTO FILM"

My closed captioning read "[imitating Boris Karloff as Dracula] Dracula, yes." Of course, Alex was imitating Bela Lugosi as Dracula...Unless the captioner thought the impression was so bad it sounded like Boris Karloff. Might as well be imitating Bob Dylan as Dracula.:)
My closed captioning rendered "the Bastille" as "the best deal". I've noticed...issues...before, but I think that's the worst one since mixing up "Cyprus" and "Cypress" (I don't remember in which direction).

My favorite get in this game was "Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Light". I had no clue and no prayer on FJ!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ I remember the CC saying "Spanish moths" on a clue about "Spanish moss" once.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote:
My favorite get in this game was "Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Light".
I was almost proud about this one. But no...I had it as Gangsta Paradise by the Dashboard Light.... :roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

silverscreentest wrote:My closed captioning read "[imitating Boris Karloff as Dracula] Dracula, yes." Of course, Alex was imitating Bela Lugosi as Dracula...Unless the captioner thought the impression was so bad it sounded like Boris Karloff. Might as well be imitating Bob Dylan as Dracula.:)
Mukund was telling Alex his wife is a mezzo soprano:
Mukund.png
Mukund.png (180.04 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
I was almost proud about this one. But no...I had it as Gangsta Paradise by the Dashboard Light.... :roll:
Same here. :cry:
Ladybug
Contributor

Post by Ladybug »

alietr wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:My closed captioning read "[imitating Boris Karloff as Dracula] Dracula, yes." Of course, Alex was imitating Bela Lugosi as Dracula...Unless the captioner thought the impression was so bad it sounded like Boris Karloff. Might as well be imitating Bob Dylan as Dracula.:)
Mukund.png
With such an inept CC system, I feel for the hearing impaired...
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ladybug wrote:
alietr wrote:
Mukund.png
With such an inept CC system, I feel for the hearing impaired...
My favorite (non-J!) CC corruption is when an announcer refers to Dick Butkus. It's pretty funny.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Count me among those who loathed this FJ. As the resident cine-maniac, I concur with many of you that Piggy is not a classic movie character.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

While the closed captioning mistakes are amusing, they were created either by computer or a human going too fast and making an honest mistake in hearing. As someone reasonably knowledgeable about old movies, I was amused by a human consciously confusing Boris Karloff with Bela Lugosi. No one remembers Karloff's voice except as the narrator of How the Grinch Stole Christmas or his grunts as Frankenstein's monster. Then again, TPH probably couldn't tell Jennifer Lawrence, Margot Robbie, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams or Natalie Portman apart from each other.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

davey wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
I had Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, and felt a similar split second of pride. :oops: