Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby rpg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 pm

I guess I thought this FJ was way easier than it actually is, judging by the contestants and the posters here. I was sure this would be a triple-get, 90%+ type of question. I think if you're a certain kind of person -- young, sciency, spend a lot of time on the internet -- this should be very easy. Though I don't like The Oatmeal, their Tesla thing was popular a couple years ago, for example (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla), and that's one of many examples.

While I couldn't remember the answer, the Lake Winnipeg clue rang a bell for me for some reason. Turns out it's because it was a daily double Roger Craig missed in the second game of the BotD finals. If he had gotten it, he might have ended up winning the tournament, depending on how the rest of the game played out: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4506
rpg
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby immaf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 pm

I *should* have known FJ. I got the Edison part, and then blanked. I said Bell, knowing it was wrong, but wanting to say something.
Teems with quiet fun.
User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby davey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Tesla is one of those names I tend to blank on under pressure, so I was glad that I took the time to call it to mind before FJ tonight...Edison I always remember... ;)
I'm not much of a basketball fan and I thought that category was simple (though I hesitated on "court").
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby This Is Kirk! » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 pm

When Alex mentioned something about there being three names that come to mind, I thought "oh, the third must be Westinghouse." Luckily his name didn't even enter my mind until then. I had Edison and Tesla immediately.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Coryat: $26,800
39 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Electric Company, Lake Winnipeg (DD)

A game where all three players made proper FJ! wagers? Say it ain't so!

After all the talk about the recency of last night's FJ! topic, it's interesting that tonight's FJ! category, Men of Science, was last used less than two months ago (11/15).

I know it would have taken tremendous guts, but Amanda would have been well advised to go for broke on the loophole DD. A second-row clue in a category where they spot you the first letter? That's just a giveaway.

I got FJ! in part due to this T-shirt, which a friend received a couple of months ago as a birthday gift:
Image
Sprinkles are for winners.
User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:33 am

Maven wrote:Instagot Tesla on FJ, but for some cockamamie reason, went with Marconi for the rival.

That's not cockamamie at all. In fact, Tesla during his lifetime probably had more animosity toward Marconi than Edison, since the former basically ripped off his patents for wireless communication.

The Netflix-sponsored cat with Rita Moreno was cringeworthy with Alex fawning over her like she was the second coming of Kate Hepburn. I guess these sponsored categories are the new normal, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.
Kenny
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby harrumph » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:02 am

A PBS documentary on Tesla helped me with this FJ.
User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 am
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby dhkendall » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:24 am

As soon as I saw the wagers I knew I had to come here for the discussion, surprised as there's not nearly as much discussion on the wagers as I'd thought there'd be. (For those who don't know: I'm terrible with wagers, what the proper one should be in each spot, and why. My gift to the wagering Vikings before I go on is s brand new citation pad for each.)

doihavetoreally wrote:How is DHK feeling about lake DD?


sarisson wrote:The DD reminded me of RCraig's missed TDD in the one Battle of the Decades game, but at least this time, "Manitoba" was given in the clue. More Canadian geography, clue writers!


^ That. Sarisson (and others) got my thoughts up, thought more about Roger than anything. (Was watching it with my 14 year old daughter, she said that it was a toss up between L. Winnipeg and Hudsons Bay since Manitoba was in the clue. I reminded her that a Hudsons Bay isn't a lake, she said "exactly!"

To be honest I kind of expect this from Canadian geography clues, no matter how much they are dumbed down (as I see it), the responses are still going to be laughably off (as I see them). At least it's not Australian geography. If the answer isn't Sydney for city or NSW for state, they're lost.

(And a final note, while I appreciate the shout-out, grindcore and Lore are also freezing their asses off in -26 weather here in Winnipeg with me, I'm not the only one rolling their eyes about an hour's drive from Lake Winnipeg.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
 
Posts: 7861
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby John Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 am

xxaaaxx wrote:Wait....2nd place made a proper wager (yes first equals second plus third, but with ties off the table, I personally would rather keep 3rd locked out and play for the stumper than bet it all and hope the leader offers a tie)?? 3rd correctly bet it all, and didn't leave a useless dollar behind? It's a miracle!!! Champ probably shouldn't have bet the extra dollar, but eh, minor quibble. Too bad, she seemed like a keeper.

Got to Tesla immediately (that was the tricky one, eh Alex? Sure.), took a bit to think of Edison, because I keep thinking of him as just a late 19th c. figure, and forgetting that he died in 1931.


I was also pleasantly surprised to see a wonderful wager from 2nd place. congrats to Joe on a nice strategic win.

amazingly easy first round to me: ran the category in Film, Shapes, basketball terms, and NATO on the way to 25 right and 2 more that I just couldn't pull the trigger on,

Instaget FJ, as I have long known of the T-E feud and saw a wonderful History Channel show on them last year.

Hope to see good things from the champ tonight.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:11 am

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby John Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:56 am

bbird wrote:
3. From an Ohio mainland beach I visit several times a year, on a clear day it's possible to see the southernmost point of Canada with the naked eye, so that was an easy one for me (...also because Erie is the southernmost Great Lake)



I have flown over the Lake Erie Islands to do aerial photography on Point Pelee. Somewhere I have a picture of the last little tip of the point, the very, very last piece of mainland Canada. So yeah, that one was easy for me as well.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:11 am

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby goatman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:59 am

Not an instaget as I have not read this book but teased it out regardless for 47R by Goats. 8-)

LT: Melancholy (recurring frequently now!) +FJ. NO gets on Greenland Shark or Pandora > The Electric Co.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby This Is Kirk! » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03 pm

dhkendall wrote:As soon as I saw the wagers I knew I had to come here for the discussion, surprised as there's not nearly as much discussion on the wagers as I'd thought there'd be. (For those who don't know: I'm terrible with wagers, what the proper one should be in each spot, and why. My gift to the wagering Vikings before I go on is s brand new citation pad for each.)

doihavetoreally wrote:How is DHK feeling about lake DD?


sarisson wrote:The DD reminded me of RCraig's missed TDD in the one Battle of the Decades game, but at least this time, "Manitoba" was given in the clue. More Canadian geography, clue writers!


^ That. Sarisson (and others) got my thoughts up, thought more about Roger than anything. (Was watching it with my 14 year old daughter, she said that it was a toss up between L. Winnipeg and Hudsons Bay since Manitoba was in the clue. I reminded her that a Hudsons Bay isn't a lake, she said "exactly!"


No love for Lake Winnipegosis? I guess she knew that was smaller. I would have said Lake Winnipeg, but would have been slightly worried about Winnipegosis.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bamaman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Amanda's neg on East Germany also hurt. I made the same error by not thinking the clue all the way through.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7921
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby morbeedo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Bamaman wrote:Amanda's neg on East Germany also hurt. I made the same error by not thinking the clue all the way through.

I think just Germany was the response they were going for? When the guy said West Germany, Alex said we'll accept that, but not East Germany. Whenever E/W Germany comes up on J!, I just go blank. Need to drill that and Canadian geography (which I've been reviewing but still mess up). No Great Bear or Great Slave lake clue?

NHO Greenland Shark but that's what popped into my head and I felt confident enough to guess. Missed the first 2 clues in Basketball, then scooped up the next 3. 'Court' went right over my head.

LT: Winnipeg (DD), melancholic.

I pronounced Terpsichore with just 3 syllables. Don't see how they would have negged me for that. Went with DeGaulle over Eisenhower - got thrown by Supreme Allied Commander of Europe. Negged on Sesame Street. Knew "L"et but thought way too easy, can't be that.

Also got FJ from the PBS documentary but also hesitated b/t Edison and Westinghouse. Initial thought was Freud/Jung until "electrified" registered.

I notice from her first game, Amanda was exceptionally good on the buzzer. Kelsey got beat far too many times.

Amanda's last 2 interviews were a bit awkward - didn't really go anywhere and ended on a flat note. But who cares really?

The in-clue advertising is ridiculous. Would have jumped over to Lakes/Ballet in a heartbeat.

DD wagers and clue selection left a lot to be desired, but overall a good game.
User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby BigDaddyMatty » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:13 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Amanda's neg on East Germany also hurt. I made the same error by not thinking the clue all the way through.

I think just Germany was the response they were going for? When the guy said West Germany, Alex said we'll accept that, but not East Germany.

I'm pretty sure they were going for West Germany. The clue was something to the effect of "this country was a member of NATO from 1955 until it dropped the directional portion of its name in 1990." I think Alex just got a bit tongue-tied in explaining the ruling.
Sprinkles are for winners.
User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby dhkendall » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:26 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:As soon as I saw the wagers I knew I had to come here for the discussion, surprised as there's not nearly as much discussion on the wagers as I'd thought there'd be. (For those who don't know: I'm terrible with wagers, what the proper one should be in each spot, and why. My gift to the wagering Vikings before I go on is s brand new citation pad for each.)

doihavetoreally wrote:How is DHK feeling about lake DD?


sarisson wrote:The DD reminded me of RCraig's missed TDD in the one Battle of the Decades game, but at least this time, "Manitoba" was given in the clue. More Canadian geography, clue writers!


^ That. Sarisson (and others) got my thoughts up, thought more about Roger than anything. (Was watching it with my 14 year old daughter, she said that it was a toss up between L. Winnipeg and Hudsons Bay since Manitoba was in the clue. I reminded her that a Hudsons Bay isn't a lake, she said "exactly!"


No love for Lake Winnipegosis? I guess she knew that was smaller. I would have said Lake Winnipeg, but would have been slightly worried about Winnipegosis.


Dunno why not (to be fair, geography-geek kid me often forgot about Winnipegosis as well because I often thought that lake and Manitoba were one big lake called Manitoba). My sister and her husband, however, recently bought some land on the shores of Winnipegosis and are building a cottage on it to one day retire to so I'm hoping once the cottage is done and we visit them more there the lake won't be forgotten by her.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
 
Posts: 7861
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby earendel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 pm

I got FJ! thanks to a board game my son received for Christmas and a WWTBAM question from November 16, 2016.

$5,000
Unveiled in 2016, the arcade game “War of Currents” pits what 2 inventors against each other, delivering players actual electric shocks when they take damage?
A: Bill Gates and Steve Jobs B: Alfred Nobel and Johannes Gutenberg
C: Archimedes and Leonardo da Vinci D: Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
User avatar
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 pm
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Previous

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], JayK33, Majestic-12 [Bot], nightreign, pinkfreud, Robert K S, xxaaaxx, Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests