Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME THE 19th CENTURY WORK

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Modern bourgeois society…is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers…called up by his spells"

Joe Bartolomeo: 15000+7500=22500 (2x = $36,500)
Dante Atkins: 17200-12801=4399
Christina Bussmann: 3600+3600=7200

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Communist Manifesto (Dante – Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court)

Daily Doubles
Dante: 6200-2000
Dante: 6000+5000
Dante: 14200+3000

Coryats
Joe: 15000
Dante: 13600
Christina: 3600

Combined: 32,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

LOL today @J6: Yet ANOTHER William Golding Clue, in Category; Begins/Ends 'with same vowel':

In Lord of the Flies, Piggy suffers from this ailment:
Spoiler
"What is AsthmA?"
Last edited by goatman on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm not familiar with Ethan Allen in any other context besides furniture.

I precalled the "Reveleations" neg. Seems that happens every single time.

Negged with Lamentations on Job because it sounded like a sad verse to me. Also negged with Exodus because I saw "blah blah blah blah Moses".

Didn't know what a conditional clause was.

I somehow interpreted "Sandwich cookie" as "ice cream sandwich" and was confused as all hell on the Oreo clue. Then again, I think Oreos are gross.

WLT Cole Porter or Brazil at $400?

The Elements DD was very clever. I just barely got it in time to run the category.

Lach Trash: Rio de la Plata, flourine, vanadium.

"Modern bourgeois society..." Nope, not even trying to guess on this one.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The Elements DD was very clever.
I agree.

"Coping device" an alternate correct response for "security blanket"?

As others have said, the Friday FJ! clues have been very difficult in the past few weeks. However, I feel many on this board got it right today.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I'd like to know how to differentiate Das Kapital from the Communist Manifesto as an answer to this FJ (short of recognizing the phrase)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I would've been sorely tempted to bet 10k+ on that element DD, but given the trouble they had with some of them, I understand the smaller bet. At least he wagered enough to still have the lead in FJ regardless of the 2k clue.

Modern bourgeois--
"Communist Manifesto, bye champ....wait, it wasn't a triple get??"

Not sure what the logic was behind that Twain response. Surely there are shorter "just say something" guesses. Champ wins two the hard way.

I agree with Alex, nice handwriting. I don't think I could ever pull it off with a light pen.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,200
45 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ye, John Legend, Finding Neverland, the tropics, Rio de la Plata, fluorine, vanadium

Bourgeois = The Communist Manifesto. Surprised something so Pavlovian wasn't a triple-get.

"Revelations," again? C'mon, man.

The hard drive on my DVR fried this afternoon, so I am stuck with live TV for the next few days. I'm not sure how some of you guys do it. Not being able to pause when I need a moment to think and don't want to be spoiled by the contestant's response is a killer. I might've gotten that Moses DD had I had a second to think about it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I approached FJ from totally the wrong angle, as I focused in on 19th century French fiction. Talk about a forehead slapper.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Leander wrote:I'd like to know how to differentiate Das Kapital from the Communist Manifesto as an answer to this FJ (short of recognizing the phrase)
I asked the resident historian that question (because I've never read either of them) and he said that the first is so dry it's almost unreadable while the second is colorfully written to stir (and be accessible to) the masses.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Leander wrote:I'd like to know how to differentiate Das Kapital from the Communist Manifesto as an answer to this FJ (short of recognizing the phrase)
Yeah same thing ran through my cranium briefly while getting to the right one. "Das Kapital' = 'the capital' >> about Money, not a building or city, as some mistake.
Commie Manifesto is about social revolutionary thinking. ergo, 'middle class bourgeois.' Co-author Engels comes up frequently.

51R for goats! LT: Moses checked out in Deuteronomy; "Ye"; tropics; silver>>>Rio de La Plata (becoming routine now!); F > Fluorine; V = Vanadium. No get on Beau Brummel pic, guessed ?Byron?! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Leah wrote:
I asked the resident historian that question (because I've never read either of them) and he said that the first is so dry it's almost unreadable while the second is colorfully written to stir (and be accessible to) the masses.
I"m always wondering the same thing, but looking them up today, I finally know (and hope I will remember in the future) that the Comm. Manifesto is a brochure and Das Kapital is a three-volume work. That probably fits well with the idea of DK being dry and nearly unreadable, cf. CM more stirring. The masses are more likely to read a brochure than a three volume tome.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

That has to be one the most spectacularly bizarre FJ guesses ever. The sheer volume of writing wasn't enough to make Dante think, "Hmm, I may have taken a wrong turn on this one"?? I guess by that point, there wasn't much of an option available to him.

Edited to add: And he was tearing it up otherwise; I'm guessing that there was a misfire between the clue and what he thought the clue said.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

By the way, that's nine straight FJ! misses by the leader. The contestants have been spectacularly bad on FJ! this season, going a combined 98/220 (44.5%) in regular play.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Okay, I'll admit I erred on Edie Brickell being married to Paul Simon as I had Steve Martin in thinking about them touring together. I hate losing a 5/5 that way.
Elijah Baley wrote:That has to be one the most spectacularly bizarre FJ guesses ever. The sheer volume of writing wasn't enough to make Dante think, "Hmm, I may have taken a wrong turn on this one"?? I guess by that point, there wasn't much of an option available to him.

Edited to add: And he was tearing it up otherwise; I'm guessing that there was a misfire between the clue and what he thought the clue said.
"Modern bourgeois society…is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers…called up by his spells"

Yes, the clue could be simplified to "bourgeois" on J!=The Communist Manifest.

I'll defend Dante as perhaps he did the same thing I did in only thinking about fiction. NAME THE 19th CENTURY WORK should have tipped me off not to think literature and fiction, but I did go that way when playing the clue.

Read the FJ! clue and think of it only from a fictional literature angle and it opens up a lot of possible guesses. My approach was trying to think French and I did not like Hugo's Hunchback or any Dumas or Verne works. I narrowed my guesses to Frankenstein and the Stevenson work I wrote, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

I did not even need to hear Alex compliment Christina on her handwriting to realize instantly the Marx work was correct while being embarrassed that I failed to make the simple connection off the key word in the clue.

Dante could have taken "sorcerer" to Merlin and while way off base for the quote I don't see it even near some of the adjective adjective guesses for FJ! responses ever. Like mine, it's just wrong.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Knew instantly FJ was a Karl Marx work, but like many I guessed the obvious "Das Kapital."

Moses' death passage from the Bible was serious negbait. I think 95% of people would say it was from Exodus.

Interesting that the press secretary contestant didn't ring in on the occupation clue that was "press secretary."
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Instawrong FJ with Das Kapital, so I'm glad I wasn't the only one. My problem lately has been immediately getting an answer and not thinking enough about other possibilities. With that miss, I'm 50/75 in regular episodes this season.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: The hard drive on my DVR fried this afternoon, so I am stuck with live TV for the next few days. I'm not sure how some of you guys do it. Not being able to pause when I need a moment to think and don't want to be spoiled by the contestant's response is a killer. I might've gotten that Moses DD had I had a second to think about it.
Well, now we know the secrets of your success. Try playing with the blast shield down! It's more fun answering in real time. I don't even touch the remote during the show unless WABC shows that ultra-depressing anti-smoking PSA.
Hoping for a third lap
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi all -

Thanks to leander for asking what I was also wondering - how to differentiate TCM from DK. I knew immediately it had to be Karl Marx and thought first of DK... realized it might very well be TCM too late. Thanks much to Leah for the insight she brought, and to nlw44 for more info.

And Kenny, have to say that I also thought Moses' death would have been in Exodus. Been a while since I read those books at all; guess I'd better refresh. :-)

But I did get one that was a TS ---- Rio de la Plata (and that with my often spotty geographic knowledge). All in all a fairly interesting game :)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

While the Moses clue was negbait, it was certainly gettable if you know Moses died at the end of the Pentateuch, of which the last book at Deuteronomy.