Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby morbeedo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 pm

goatman wrote:
Golf wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.

Who cares if it's a nationally televised show? Why should somebody who just lost when attempting a potentially lifelong ambition put on some phony smile for millions of people he will never meet? Screw that.


Agreed. What phoney baloney... ROFLMAO :x

I will remember this, thought Ender, when I am defeated. To keep dignity, and give honor where it's due, so that defeat is not disgrace. And I hope I don't have to do it often.
User avatar
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby goatman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:20 pm

morbeedo wrote:
goatman wrote:
Golf wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.

Who cares if it's a nationally televised show? Why should somebody who just lost when attempting a potentially lifelong ambition put on some phony smile for millions of people he will never meet? Screw that.


Agreed. What phoney baloney... ROFLMAO :x

I will remember this, thought Ender, when I am defeated. To keep dignity, and give honor where it's due, so that defeat is not disgrace. And I hope I don't have to do it often.


OKay. Now I'm just gonna rant. You criticized a nationally televised game show contestant on our Board. When YOU study for ten years and take the test nine times and finally get to be one of those happy few and and get up under the hot lights and then miss by half an inch, don't be surprised if you're not wearing a stupid happy grin about it. And don't be surprised if someone on this page criticizes you. Nothing burns me up more than ragging on the peeps. And don't quote us patronizing snippets from your fav pop film neither. Nuff said. Go stare at a goat. L8r. :x
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Category 13 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm

danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.

Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.

It looked to me like she was counting on Joe to bet 8,601, so she thought she was making a savvy wager by putting herself $1 above that total. She would have looked pretty foolish if Joe had outfoxed her with an 8,605 wager.


You can look foolish even when you win.

Joe's ONLY rational wager is to bet it all. There is absolutely NO downside for Blair to wager $7,001 and keep Joe locked out in case they both get it correct. There is never any point in trying to be cute. If your ONLY or best chance to win is to get it correct, might as well bet it all, or at least enough to not get passed from behind! Nobody knows or remembers about 2nd vs 3rd. Only worry about the $1,000 difference if you are locked out of first or you can do so safely without jeopardizing your win%.

My suggestion of Joe making the 'cute' (your words) wager of 8,605 was only in jest of Blair's apparent prediction of him only wagering enough to cover a zero wager by Jack.
If Joe had taken the same 'mind reading seeds' that Blair did, he would be thinking in the same terms as her and not bothered to go any further than besting her by a measily couple bucks.
User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby opusthepenguin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

goatman wrote:OKay. Now I'm just gonna rant. You criticized a nationally televised game show contestant on our Board. When YOU study for ten years and take the test nine times and finally get to be one of those happy few and and get up under the hot lights and then miss by half an inch, don't be surprised if you're not wearing a stupid happy grin about it. And don't be surprised if someone on this page criticizes you. Nothing burns me up more than ragging on the peeps. And don't quote us patronizing snippets from your fav pop film neither. Nuff said. Go stare at a goat. L8r. :x

Ok, Goofus, I guess you told Gallant.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby morbeedo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:08 pm

goatman wrote:Okay. Now I'm just gonna rant. You criticized a nationally televised game show contestant on our Board. When YOU study for ten years and take the test nine times and finally get to be one of those happy few and and get up under the hot lights and then miss by half an inch, don't be surprised if you're not wearing a stupid happy grin about it. And don't be surprised if someone on this page criticizes you. Nothing burns me up more than ragging on the peeps. And don't quote us patronizing snippets from your fav pop film neither. Nuff said. Go stare at a goat. L8r. :x

OK goatman, you can attack me if it makes you feel better, but I really wasn't ragging on the guy and my comment wasn't meant to be disparaging. I thought the guy played the game really well but he missed Final and so he lost. Jeopardy is a cruel game, you only get one shot, I GET IT. I just made an observation that the guy looked particularly sullen at the end, especially compared to Blair who was over the moon and couldn't believe she won. I felt the same way about Dante last week (who also dominated and lost) and the notorious Arthur Chu who slammed his fist down on the podium, lectern, WHATEVER when he lost on his 12th game. I'm allowed to have an opinion and express it in this open forum. I've been around here long enough to see what trashing a contestant looks like, and that's not what I was doing.
User avatar
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby davey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 pm

rpg wrote:The America First Committee appeared in the UToC finals and was a triple stumper between Jennings, Vered, and Rutter. Tough clue! http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=329


It's been in the news more recently, what with Trump using the phrase with his typical sensitivity to history...
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Cat Hammarskjold » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:44 am

I'm surprised that no one has posted this link already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvw7gKUQXU
User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby danspartan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Category 13 wrote:
danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.

Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.

It looked to me like she was counting on Joe to bet 8,601, so she thought she was making a savvy wager by putting herself $1 above that total. She would have looked pretty foolish if Joe had outfoxed her with an 8,605 wager.


You can look foolish even when you win.

Joe's ONLY rational wager is to bet it all. There is absolutely NO downside for Blair to wager $7,001 and keep Joe locked out in case they both get it correct. There is never any point in trying to be cute. If your ONLY or best chance to win is to get it correct, might as well bet it all, or at least enough to not get passed from behind! Nobody knows or remembers about 2nd vs 3rd. Only worry about the $1,000 difference if you are locked out of first or you can do so safely without jeopardizing your win%.

My suggestion of Joe making the 'cute' (your words) wager of 8,605 was only in jest of Blair's apparent prediction of him only wagering enough to cover a zero wager by Jack.
If Joe had taken the same 'mind reading seeds' that Blair did, he would be thinking in the same terms as her and not bothered to go any further than besting her by a measily couple bucks.


Once again, the internet needs a sarcasm font (to my Brit friends, thank you providing the sarcasm accent). Bad bets get me in a lather. Apologies.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bamaman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:02 pm

I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

He looked fine in the credit roll chat.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby morbeedo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Bamaman wrote:I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

He looked fine in the credit roll chat.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to commenting only on answers and questions on this Board. Apologies for the offending post.
User avatar
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bamaman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

He looked fine in the credit roll chat.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to commenting only on answers and questions on this Board. Apologies for the offending post.


For the record, I was not offended by your post or trying to be argumentative. I was just saying how he appeared to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7813
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby morbeedo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Bamaman wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

He looked fine in the credit roll chat.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to commenting only on answers and questions on this Board. Apologies for the offending post.


For the record, I was not offended by your post or trying to be argumentative. I was just saying how he appeared to me.

Cool, I didn't think you were either. I'm just amazed that one comment blew up the way it did, but I've learned my lesson.
User avatar
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby BigDaddyMatty » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Bamaman wrote:It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

:lol:
Sprinkles are for winners.
User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby seaborgium » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one.


My only guess is he was thinking of the Zimmermann Telegram, although it seems like a stretch.

The new champ is a Llama, by the way: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7665

She's 0-3 on math questions. Just sayin'...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
 
Posts: 4242
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:29 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

:lol:

What is podium?
Kenny
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby BigDaddyMatty » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Kenny wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

:lol:

What is podium?

Turn back now. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into.
Sprinkles are for winners.
User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby alietr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:08 am

seaborgium wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one.


My only guess is he was thinking of the Zimmermann Telegram, although it seems like a stretch.

The new champ is a Llama, by the way: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7665

She's 0-3 on math questions. Just sayin'...


She's TPH?!?
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4793
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Previous

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], immaf, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests