Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

Count me among those who enjoyed the Bold & Beautiful category. I thought it was hilarious (plus I was glad the clues weren't about the show itself).

Shakespeare isn't a strong category for me, but I managed to get T&C.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

Johnblue wrote:Instaget FJ! Great clues this game with the exception of The Bold & the Beautiful. Those were excessively easy clues plus the time wasted.
The clues were so easy I was begging Colby to bet it all on the DD. I realize it's difficult up there, but a TDD get would have been a major demoralizer and a miss was recoverable.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote:FJ: I'm starting to suspect the writers are trying for triple stumpers. A Beatles clue asking for a Ringo Starr song, then a Shakespeare clue asking for probably the most arcane, least acclaimed play the Bard ever wrote.
Not even close. You obviously didn't read the reviews from the Central Park version this past summer... ;)
Henry VI 1, 2, 3, Henry VIII, King John, Pericles, even Titus Andronicus - all less produced and more dreaded by critics and audiences.
But of course you never have to have sat through it to get this clue.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

nlw44 wrote:Definitely this. It's kind of interesting that as I write this, admittedly very shortly after the game was aired here, this is the first comment to mention Julius Caesar. Everyone else so far, including 2/3 of the contestants, seems fixated on A&C and missing the very obvious Julius Caesar. I would have thought that anyone thinking of A&C would think of JC immediately thereafter and maybe go with that if they can't come up with the correct answer.
Julius Caesar wasn't a pair. Not even in the Jayne Mansfield sense.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Dear J!PTB: Please. I'm begging you. Just make the one rule change. You will finish all clues every game. You know how to do this. You do it with tournament quarterfinals. 61 clues. Edit the results to your time constraints. Do that and I promise I will at least chuckle at the cheezy acting in your soap opera categories.

Had FJ before Alex was done reading. I wouldn't have been surprised by a triple get. I forgot about Antony and Cleopatra. I agree that's some pretty strong negbait. Except for the part where Julius Caesar is a few years earlier so there's no way it can be right.

Speaking of Julius Caesar, seriously writers? You take your clue about what river he crossed, put it behind the $2000 box and make it a DD? Yesterday you wanted Testimonial. Today you basically wanted to know whether you made a mistake in letting the contestant on the show.

Got my Davids mixed up and thought the David Chase HBO show was The Wire. Nope. That one's by David Simon.

Anybody else know it was Father Bing Crosby but just couldn't come up with the guy's name?
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:Dear J!PTB: Please. I'm begging you. Just make the one rule change. You will finish all clues every game. You know how to do this. You do it with tournament quarterfinals. 61 clues. Edit the results to your time constraints. Do that and I promise I will at least chuckle at the cheezy acting in your soap opera categories.

Had FJ before Alex was done reading. I wouldn't have been surprised by a triple get. I forgot about Antony and Cleopatra. I agree that's some pretty strong negbait. Except for the part where Julius Caesar is a few years earlier so there's no way it can be right.

Speaking of Julius Caesar, seriously writers? You take your clue about what river he crossed, put it behind the $2000 box and make it a DD? Yesterday you wanted Testimonial. Today you basically wanted to know whether you made a mistake in letting the contestant on the show.

Got my Davids mixed up and thought the David Chase HBO show was The Wire. Nope. That one's by David Simon.

Anybody else know it was Father Bing Crosby but just couldn't come up with the guy's name?
It's Father Spencer Tracy. You're thinking of Going My Way...But I somehow missed Rubicon tonight so who am I to judge??
Last edited by davey on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How was Limburger a stand and stare? It's not like they were asking for Liederkranz again. I also got liverwurst and Schindler.
Did you get Rubicon as the river that Julius Caesar crossed?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:Dear J!PTB: Please. I'm begging you. Just make the one rule change. You will finish all clues every game. You know how to do this. You do it with tournament quarterfinals. 61 clues. Edit the results to your time constraints. Do that and I promise I will at least chuckle at the cheezy acting in your soap opera categories.

I knew Father Flannigan and that he was played by Spencer Tracy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:

I knew Father Flannigan and that he was played by Spencer Tracy.
And I remember seeing Spencer Tracy play Father Flanagan again in Men of Boys Town with Mickey Rooney once again playing Whitey. And in the first film Pee Wee and the car. :cry:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:How was Limburger a stand and stare? It's not like they were asking for Liederkranz again. I also got liverwurst and Schindler.
Actually, yes.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How was Limburger a stand and stare? It's not like they were asking for Liederkranz again.
I predicted you would be asking "how am I supposed to know the difference between Limburger and Liederkranz?"
A: I dunno. They both smell like sh!t to me.
This is why I would have stayed clam on that clue and I assummed all three contestants had the same dilemma.
goatman wrote: GoGo's Beauty & the Beast (IDK HTH I KNEW that!?!) LOL :lol:
If the clue were reversed to ask for the album title, you would have been negged for that.
ElijahBaley wrote:Is it me or are the crazy random FJ wagers getting to be even more crazy and random?

I'll be the first to admit that wagering would be a topic for serious review, but today seemed like an example of a not very complicated scenario. I just wonder what Zoey or Alain were thinking of in terms of strategy with their wagers.
Even the returning champ didn't seem to grasp the mathmatics of his situation. He bet $800 more than he needed to, yet still tacked on the extra dollar.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I knew Father Flanagan from the movie but he was also mentioned in one of those Crime to Remember shows last week.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Anybody else know it was Father Bing Crosby but just couldn't come up with the guy's name?
It's Father Spencer Tracy. You're thinking of Going My Way...But I somehow missed Rubicon tonight so who am I to judge??
Dang. I can't even be wrong right.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Actually, yes.
I thought you might but didn't want to presume. Way overvalued at $2000 and a DD.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Lefty wrote:
nlw44 wrote:Definitely this. It's kind of interesting that as I write this, admittedly very shortly after the game was aired here, this is the first comment to mention Julius Caesar. Everyone else so far, including 2/3 of the contestants, seems fixated on A&C and missing the very obvious Julius Caesar. I would have thought that anyone thinking of A&C would think of JC immediately thereafter and maybe go with that if they can't come up with the correct answer.
Julius Caesar wasn't a pair. Not even in the Jayne Mansfield sense.
Of course, you are right, which I hadn't considered when I wrote that. But neither is A&C remotely possible as the play set the earliest, when JC exists as well.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
davey

Post by davey »

I also thought the "vapors and swooning" author was Williams, and assumed "state" in quotes twice was a TOM to lead to Tennessee... :oops:
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Didn't watch yesterday's game, but reading the comments on it, Colby didn't turn out to be such a killer, either in terms of knowledge or poor DD wagering.

Instaget FJ. There are only 3 title pairs in Shakespeare plays. Also, Anthony and Cleopatra is obviously after a rather famous Shakespeare play entitled Julius Caesar. Not sure why Alain looked so surprised at being wrong.

TS of Limburger, Dwayne Johnson, Margaret Mitchell, The Sopranos, Bangladesh, Schindler, and The Go Go's.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got the Final Jeopardy clue and all three contestants missed it. That's a nice confidence booster.

I missed Qantas as Australia's airline. I've missed that one several times already but I'll get it in the future.

I missed Limburger Cheese. I do bad on the cheese clues. There are way too many types of cheese we should probably just consolidate them.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I came up with Troilus and Cressida pretty quickly, but I wasn't sure whether it counted as a history play. But I knew it took place earlier than Antony and Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, and Titus and Ronicus, so I stuck with it.

Alain gave the game to Zoey, and Colby gave second place to Alain. Zoey benefited from having the widest range of decent wagers. All she had to do was cover Alain if correct and stay above $1,600 if wrong. The number she tossed out was almost exactly between the $3,401 and $7,800 bookends.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Kenny wrote:FJ: I'm starting to suspect the writers are trying for triple stumpers. A Beatles clue asking for a Ringo Starr song, then a Shakespeare clue asking for probably the most arcane, least acclaimed play the Bard ever wrote.
Nah. Come back when they start asking about Cymbeline or Coriolanus or something.

After Colby's 20k Coryat yesterday I thought we were seeing the birth of a multi-day champ, but I guess not. Instaget FJ from home. I also gave the bad Bhutan neg for Bangladesh, which is embarrassing.

These soap opera categories are just too goofy. I admit I couldn't help but laugh.