Wednesday, February 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Aloha?! ALOHA!!?? OY!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote:For FJ at first I was going to write Tiny Bubbles as a joke answer until the correct response popped into my head.
:lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vowela wrote:I went with Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and crossed my fingers that he was filed under "A" and not "J." Mostly guessed on the basis that it would be a bit cruel for a $200 clue otherwise.
Same here. My backup theory was that he was filed under Alcindor, which is also near the front of the alphabet.

It would've helped us both to know/remember that Abdul-Jabbar is hyphenated.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

rpg wrote:Looks like I'm the first to pick up the Kochel number LT.
Well... you're the first one to brag about it anyway. :D We've got several boardies here that I'm almost positive got this right. They could probably even spell the name correctly. (I'm just razzin' ya. Don't take it seriously.) The same boardies probably know how to refer to Bach opus numbers. Some of them might even know how to refer to Schubert's.
Spoiler
Köchel
BWV (for Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis)
Deutsch number
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's a question. Suppose the judges and everyone agreed that what she actually said was "Eyes're". Would "Eyes're" be acceptable as a mere elision of the W sound?

The show does make allowances for accents and speech variants. This isn't exactly that, but that's why I ask the question.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:
I think the phrasing of this FJ would accept the name of the country, if not outright invite it.

"In her memoirs Queen Liliuokalani tells us that before Hawaii had its own national anthem, it used this one"

It seems to just invite the name of the country more than the name of the song.
Disagree. If they wanted the country they'd have phrased it "this nation's anthem..."
Still not gettin' it. Syntactically, "this one" must refer to "this national anthem". That gives me several choices for TOM. If you want the name of the song, it's four (three) choices for most us mortals:
France/England/Canada/US(not an option).
Easy pickings there, although the Aloha Oe responses tell me otherwise. My ringtone is Hawaii-5-0 but I wasn't tempted to use it anymore than Aloha Oe, lol.. (It happened to be the longest ringtone on the phone)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote:Here's a question. Suppose the judges and everyone agreed that what she actually said was "Eyes're". Would "Eyes're" be acceptable as a mere elision of the W sound?

The show does make allowances for accents and speech variants. This isn't exactly that, but that's why I ask the question.
I had the same vibe. I'm very tuned in to diction and enunciation because I work with foreign nationals and I can't believe how difficult it must be to understand my American co-workers who just come in and speak conversationally to our inpatriate staff.

And, don't tell my lovely wife I said this, but Kirsten is very telegenic and is far from an "Eyesore".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:
I think the phrasing of this FJ would accept the name of the country, if not outright invite it.

"In her memoirs Queen Liliuokalani tells us that before Hawaii had its own national anthem, it used this one"

It seems to just invite the name of the country more than the name of the song.
Disagree. If they wanted the country they'd have phrased it "this nation's anthem..."
Still not gettin' it. Syntactically, "this one" must refer to "this national anthem".
Yes, weren't you arguing they were looking for the country? "This national anthem" would be the name of the anthem, not the country, in my book.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote:Here's a question. Suppose the judges and everyone agreed that what she actually said was "Eyes're". Would "Eyes're" be acceptable as a mere elision of the W sound?

They once counted "pundint" wrong, which I'd consider a regional pronunciation.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:

They once counted "pundint" wrong, which I'd consider a regional pronunciation.
You think that's a regional thing? To mean it just seems like a straight-up mispronunciation that could be used anywhere.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've heard them neg "foilage" before, even though that's a common dialectal pronunciation of "foliage". IMO negging "foilage" is akin to negging "melk" or "diabeetus".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I've heard them neg "foilage" before, even though that's a common dialectal pronunciation of "foliage". IMO negging "foilage" is akin to negging "melk" or "diabeetus".
You think so? Pronouncing foliage as "foilage" is transposing letters, and they seem to frown on that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I've heard them neg "foilage" before, even though that's a common dialectal pronunciation of "foliage". IMO negging "foilage" is akin to negging "melk" or "diabeetus".
You think so? Pronouncing foliage as "foilage" is transposing letters, and they seem to frown on that.
Would they neg "nucular", which is every bit as dialectal but completely changes a couple letters?
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I think that's different. Foilage is a misread, not a dialect issue.

When I heard the question, having helped teach the novel in grad school I was expecting to hear the right answer. It seemed wrong immediately. I thought for certain Alex would respond with his "oh, no."
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Foretopman wrote:Did anybody besides me and the closed-captioner hear Their Eyes Are Watching God? I was shocked, shocked, that that wasn't reversed.
I heard the same thing and rewound to check. Kirstin said "Are."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I spent all day yesterday at the National Museum of African-American History and Culture. There are a number of video monitors scattered throughout the museum running videos. Out of the corner of my ear, I heard " ... such as Zora Neale Hurston's 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' and ..." I silently groaned.

I only found two errors in their signage, but then again I wasn't looking hard. Otherwise, it's a great museum and well worth the visit.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:Wow. So am I the only one who hears "were"? I mean, I can hear it both ways. But if I had to come down on one side, it would be on "were". I could see Alex asking her to repeat herself. And I think the repetition would have made it clear she was correct. Absent that, it would have been indefensible, in my opinion, to take the money away from her.
I agree. She speaks quickly, and slurs, as contestants often do. A request to repeat would have been fine, but I give her the benefit of the doubt.

It wasn't until I came here that I really caught the significance of "its own" in the clue, making it a borrowed tune. So, another "Aloha, Oe" from me
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
NHO "seven pillars."
I got this not from remembering the Bible, but from the title of T.E. Lawrence's book The 7 Pillars of Wisdom, which it turns out, big surprise, he got from Proverbs...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm late to the party, but I'm guessing the judges listened to the tape and deemed what Kirstin said was close enough to "were" to give it to her.

ZNH also wrote a book called Tell My Horse about voodoo in Jamaica and Haiti

Amy Ph-/Fan was really disappointing. I wrote down in my notebook, Amy Fan? thinking how surprising, must look her up. I didn't realize Amy tan was that old however

No one commented on Kristin's mini-meltdown of 3 or 4 wrong answers in a row, just buzzing in like crazy and not saying anything. She pulled it together by the end, but look really stunned when she won.

TS: tree of life, Circle of Friends, Duke, Recount (though I almost blurted out Game Change).

Sucrose? fructose? clam.

NHO Köchel. Would've said Klaviersonate if I had to say something