Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by acthomas »

OSXpert wrote:Someone on reddit pointed out that you could possibly argue that The Silence of the Lambs is a sequel to Manhunter.
First thing I thought if when I saw the clue. The book SotL is inarguably a sequel to the original book Red Dragon. Made me wish the clue had another disambiguation as part of it but I couldn't think of a way to do that subtly.

Did anyone else blurt out "voluptuous" instead of "vulpine" for "a foxy adjective"?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote:I think they'd have taken just The Return of the King, but that's just a guess. I wrote down The Two Towers. Recent Oscar winners is something I'd need to study if I got the call.

Knowing J!, they needed the exact 10-word title.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDaunt wrote:Return of the King - part of a trilogy...not a sequel.
How is it not a sequel?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote:
MDaunt wrote:Return of the King - part of a trilogy...not a sequel.
How is it not a sequel?
A part 3 is still a sequel.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

acthomas wrote:
OSXpert wrote:Someone on reddit pointed out that you could possibly argue that The Silence of the Lambs is a sequel to Manhunter.
First thing I thought if when I saw the clue. The book SotL is inarguably a sequel to the original book Red Dragon. Made me wish the clue had another disambiguation as part of it but I couldn't think of a way to do that subtly.

Did anyone else blurt out "voluptuous" instead of "vulpine" for "a foxy adjective"?
I will not argue that in a literature sense, SotL is absolutely a sequel.
Also, I will make the case that in a literature sense, Lord of the Rings is a single work in three parts.

However, the category is THE OSCARS, and we are speaking in a cinematic sense.

The original "Manhunter", in a cinematic sense, bears no thematic, acting, directing, or production ties to the film "The Silence of the Lambs". Thus, in a cinematic sense, I would say one is not a sequel to the other.

Whereas with The Lord of the Rings, the second and third films are absolutely sequels, cinematically.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

I too said Silence of the Lambs.

Is The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King the longest name of any oscar winning movie? That's a rough loss regardless.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Would they have accepted "Lord of the Rings III/3"?

I was so confident with this one. I knew it was Lord of the Rings, but I picked the wrong sequel. I went with the second one instead. And here I was, thinking I didn't have to admit another shutout this week. Tomorrow's the last chance.

Of the DDs, I got scarecrow. Like the tin man was the only DD I got a few days ago. Unrelated works but, you know.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Bamaman wrote:I think they'd have taken just The Return of the King, but that's just a guess. I wrote down The Two Towers. Recent Oscar winners is something I'd need to study if I got the call.
JayK33 wrote:I was so confident with this one. I knew it was Lord of the Rings, but I picked the wrong sequel. I went with the second one instead.
I had The Two Towers for FJ too, and thus my overall slump continues. Despite how 'wonderful' my Oscar knowledge is, something I do remember is how remarkably well the Lord Of The Rings trilogy did at the Oscars*...if only I'd picked the right sequel. *gently smacks her head*

Ran Playing Tribute. But had an embarrassing miss of the evening...between being a fan of both classic canon Sherlock Holmes AND BBC's Sherlock, I so should have gotten Mycroft for the clue of the Sherlock version's annoyance at being called Mike. I answered Lestrade, and no, I don't know why I said that other than I guess I am so disgusted by what I've read about the just finished recent season (What were they thinking?!?!) that I pure and simply didn't wrap my head around it just right. Oh well...at least I rapidfire insta-knew 'little buddy'.

* - That and $$$$ (of course) are why Peter Jackson freakin' expanded The Hobbit from a standalone into a ridiculous (at least IMO given the amount of source material) trilogy. Any desire I had to see The Hobbit (easily my favorite Tolkien book) instantly went out the window with the news of that...grr, argh to this day and forever.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Golf

Post by Golf »

sarisson wrote:We've gone this long without an overanalysis of a bad wager? It must be a Jboard record.
Even without having to worry about third place, did anybody really think she was going to make a fundamentally sound wager? It gets to the point of being laughable.

The interesting part is that this week's contestants have latched onto the min wager from the lead. Since it worked once (whether or not it's good strategy) they are blindly following along with no clue as to it's merit.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I saw a very similar FJ in the studio nine years ago this week (my dad was the local alternate). That one also saw an all-in wager from second place (but a justifiable one). Forgive me if someone's already pointed this out, but I came home in the middle of the show and I'm not reading the thread till I've watched the first part.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

chmmr wrote:Is The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King the longest name of any oscar winning movie? That's a rough loss regardless.
Counting subtitles, it's second to Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), not counting them, it beats out All Quiet on the Western Front & One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Maven wrote:I had The Two Towers for FJ too, and thus my overall slump continues. Despite how 'wonderful' my Oscar knowledge is, something I do remember is how remarkably well the Lord Of The Rings trilogy did at the Oscars*...if only I'd picked the right sequel. *gently smacks her head*
The way I remember it is that all three films got nominated and they waited until the last one to give it the award. They were essentially giving the award to the whole trilogy.

I got this FJ after a minute or so. I spun my wheels for the whole Think music and hit pause. Then I began naming the best pictures in order starting with 1975. I'd gotten as far as The English Patient when my subconscious leaped forward and landed on RotK.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

chmmr wrote:Is The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King the longest name of any oscar winning movie? That's a rough loss regardless.
That honor belongs to Deadly Deception: General Electric, Nuclear Weapons and Our Environment, the 1991 winner for Best Documentary (Short Subject).

Not counting subtitles, there is a three-way tie between:
  • Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Double Feature, 1966 Short Subject (Cartoon)
  • My Mother Dreams the Satan's Disciples in New York, 1999 Short Film (Live Action)
  • The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, 2011 Short Film (Animated)
-- each with 41 letters.
IronNeck

Re: Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by IronNeck »

2nd post should be updated;
theFJguy wrote: Daily Doubles
Kirstin: 3800-1000
Megan: 9200+3000
Kate: 11000+2500
Kristin, not "Kirstin", got the first DD. Kate, not Megan, got the 2nd DD. And it was Kristin again, not Kate, who got the 3rd DD.

Anywho, as bad as Kristin's first round DD wager was, her second one was almost criminal. With only 2 clues left and a sizable disparity, she doesn't even bet enough to gain a lead?! She bailed herself out by getting the final $1600 and $2000 clues correct, but that was still a crush she gave up.

Incidentally, was that possibly the hardest Potent Potables category the show has had? I've been studying drinks a lot and can reliably go 4/5 or 5/5 in the previous Jeopardy categories with that title. I got a mere 1/5 on the one today, and had never even heard of the last 2, both TS's.

LT: scarecrow, Quebec City, fishing

FJ: Close to instaget.

Between today and yesterday, luck is certainly on Kristin's side.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

IronNeck wrote:2nd post should be updated;
Kristin, not "Kirstin",
Kirstin is indeed her name:

https://www.jeopardy.com/about/this-week-on-jeopardy
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

badgerfellow wrote:
Kristin, not "Kirstin",

Thank you IronNeck as I have cleaned up the post. I try to make sure the numbers are correct and then I botch the names.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Movies are a weak category for me and I have never seen any of the LOTR films, but somehow FJ was an instant get. I may have encountered that fact at some point.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:I try to make sure the numbers are correct and then I botch the names.
Maybe. But at least you don't call the kettle black.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: The original "Manhunter", in a cinematic sense, bears no thematic, acting, directing, or production ties to the film "The Silence of the Lambs". Thus, in a cinematic sense, I would say one is not a sequel to the other.
Silence of the Lambs is effectively a Lecterverse reboot. It's as much a sequel as Batman Begins is to Batman and Robin.

15 seconds here too, to write out the whole thing cleanly, but I believe you can start as soon as the clue's revealed?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

badgerfellow wrote:
Kristin, not "Kirstin",

Heh, scratch that part of the "correction", then. I have had at least two different classmates/friends named "Kristin" and at least two others named "Kirsten/Kirstin". They bleed into one another for both my memory and ears.

Anyways, if she wins tomorrow's game, I will get Kirstin's name correct the first time!