Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am First of all, thank you to the person who gave me a 3 on Magic/Bird. I would have won no matter what, but I have an .820 in sports and that's a gimme one.

I don't know whether to be surprised or not on the 54% get for Chanukah. It's such an easy question for me that I have no idea how easy it would be for gentiles. Most of my defense is based on gut on "is this a hard question whether I know it or not" and that gut is almost always right, but this one presented a rare challenge.
I had no idea - thought Chanukah was the Festival of Lights? So I went with Purim but ended up getting the basketball question right for 3 points on a WAG. Good enough to win!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 am Glad to see that Thorsten accepted "sol" for the music question.
Aw, man. That's what I put initially before switching to G.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am
jfrumkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 amI don't know whether to be surprised or not on the 54% get for Chanukah. It's such an easy question for me that I have no idea how easy it would be for gentiles. Most of my defense is based on gut on "is this a hard question whether I know it or not" and that gut is almost always right, but this one presented a rare challenge.
I got it, but I had to think about it a bit. I went through the various Jewish holidays I knew and it finally dawned on me that the Maccabees are associated with Chanukah. For some reason I glossed over that holiday initially.
My process was similar. I think that the trickiest part may have been the bit about it being known as the Feast of Dedication, given that most of us gentiles know it primarily as the Festival of Lights.

ETA: morbeedo's post seems to support my theory.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 amI don't know whether to be surprised or not on the 54% get for Chanukah. It's such an easy question for me that I have no idea how easy it would be for gentiles. Most of my defense is based on gut on "is this a hard question whether I know it or not" and that gut is almost always right, but this one presented a rare challenge.
I got it, but I had to think about it a bit. I went through the various Jewish holidays I knew and it finally dawned on me that the Maccabees are associated with Chanukah. For some reason I glossed over that holiday initially.
Between Josh's quote and his avatar appearing just about your post, Kirk, I started reading your post and thinking it was Josh writing it. I was sitting here agape until I realized it was you instead.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

I attended Michigan State in '79, so that question was easy.

I also was in the waiting room of a doctor's office the other day, and they had GSN on, which was playing Match Game '77.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm
Between Josh's quote and his avatar appearing just about your post, Kirk, I started reading your post and thinking it was Josh writing it. I was sitting here agape until I realized it was you instead.
Oy vey! :)
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:05 pm
My process was similar. I think that the trickiest part may have been the bit about it being known as the Feast of Dedication, given that most of us gentiles know it primarily as the Festival of Lights.

ETA: morbeedo's post seems to support my theory.
It is known as the Festival of Lights also, but the word Chanukah in Hebrew translates to "dedication" in the sense of dedicating something like a temple.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I was thinking about how quickly we would zero each other on that if this was in one of our matches.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am I don't know whether to be surprised or not on the 54% get for Chanukah. It's such an easy question for me that I have no idea how easy it would be for gentiles. Most of my defense is based on gut on "is this a hard question whether I know it or not" and that gut is almost always right, but this one presented a rare challenge.
I'm a non-Jew who probably knows a little more about religion than average, but not an enormous amount. My wife is a quarter Jewish by ancestry, and one of her sisters married a Jewish guy. Here's my take on the question from that perspective.

If the clue had mentioned anything about oil keeping a light burning for a long time, it would have been a complete gimme for me (and probably many other non-Jews).

Without anything like that, the most important information for me was the relatively recent (by Jewish holiday standards) date of 165 BCE. That, to me, felt like it was ruling out Passover and Yom Kippur which I figured were more central and were probably much older.

I was reasonably confident that Hanukkah was a more recent holiday than those, and the mention of the Maccabees sounded like it might fit with Hanukkah but I wasn't super confident about that detail.

The only other Jewish holidays I could name are Purim (which I know has something to do with Esther and Persia, and the clue didn't mention those, plus if I were forced to guess, I might guess that Purim was older than 165 BCE) and Sukkot, which honestly in my mind is just "that other Jewish holiday that I know the name of but don't know what it is." Oh, and I can definitely name Rosh Hashanah, but since that's the New Year, it's probably also an older holiday (for all I know, as old as the Jewish calendar itself).

I gave the question a 1 and I was assigned a 0.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:19 pm
I was thinking about how quickly we would zero each other on that if this was in one of our matches.
My opponent's name was Kahn. He got a zero very quickly. As did I. At least, I assume it was quickly. My Italian private rundle opponent gave me a 1.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

skullturf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:43 pm The only other Jewish holidays I could name are Purim (which I know has something to do with Esther and Persia, and the clue didn't mention those, plus if I were forced to guess, I might guess that Purim was older than 165 BCE) and Sukkot, which honestly in my mind is just "that other Jewish holiday that I know the name of but don't know what it is." Oh, and I can definitely name Rosh Hashanah, but since that's the New Year, it's probably also an older holiday (for all I know, as old as the Jewish calendar itself).
I'm sure you know Yom Kippur as well.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm
skullturf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:43 pm The only other Jewish holidays I could name are Purim (which I know has something to do with Esther and Persia, and the clue didn't mention those, plus if I were forced to guess, I might guess that Purim was older than 165 BCE) and Sukkot, which honestly in my mind is just "that other Jewish holiday that I know the name of but don't know what it is." Oh, and I can definitely name Rosh Hashanah, but since that's the New Year, it's probably also an older holiday (for all I know, as old as the Jewish calendar itself).
I mentioned Yom Kippur along with Passover elsewhere in my comment.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

skullturf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:54 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm
I mentioned Yom Kippur along with Passover elsewhere in my comment.
Crud. Now I see it.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm
My opponent's name was Kahn. He got a zero very quickly. As did I. At least, I assume it was quickly. My Italian private rundle opponent gave me a 1.
It's a good thing that the question pack for the day didn't also include questions on Mongolian History, Economists, Soul Singers, and Star Trek. :P
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

georgespelvin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:12 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm
It's a good thing that the question pack for the day didn't also include questions on Mongolian History, Economists, Soul Singers, and Star Trek. :P
I feel for you...

[today is Chaka Khan's birthday, by the way. She's 64]
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:47 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:34 am I played a Michigan State grad that didn't get the Bird/Magic question right.
I think that's grounds for stripping him/her of their right to call themselves an alumni! :)

I was impressed with the Charles Nelson Reilly get rate. I remember him after seeing the answer, but couldn't pull it. I thought about that one for a long time and finally ended up putting down Betty White even though I doubted Thorsten would refer to her as an "actor."
I managed to get that one right, as did my opponent ElendilPickle. In my case, it was a question of "name someone who was on Match Game." I knew that it wasn't Gene Rayburn, so went with my only other answer, Charles Nelson Reilly :mrgreen: And, seriously, sol was taken for as an alternative for dominant? I want my money back for the two years I studied violin at SF Academy of Music. :lol:
Congratulations on your win!

I see I should have assigned you 3 for the Hanukkah question, but I figured you would have known it. At least I managed to get half of the Larry Bird/Magic Johnson question right.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I played against AdusumilliV in my private rundle, and I assigned him 0 for Bangalore. I'm glad he got it right not for the sake of my DE, but because my choice was based solely on his being of Indian descent and I didn't want to be made a fool for it. (We each played perfect defense, but he got five right to my four.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:41 am I played against AdusumilliV in my private rundle, and I assigned him 0 for Bangalore. I'm glad he got it right not for the sake of my DE, but because my choice was based solely on his being of Indian descent and I didn't want to be made a fool for it. (We each played perfect defense, but he got five right to my four.)
Bangalore is also known as the Garden City (or so I've been told) so I had a beief concern about Hyderabad, which also has a high tech presence. Fortunately, I've been to Bangalore and recalled it being in Karnataka
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

My two hopes against CMP146 were that she didn't know Bangalore, or that the art movement I had never heard of was obscure enough for her to miss. 6(5)-9(6). No dice. She's better in her bad category of geography than I am in my bad category of art. Way to go Cyndi! 😕

4 points separate 26th from 12th in our rundle. Still not safe from relegation!
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

Given Thorsten's usual leniency, I was surprised to wake up this morning and find that "erotic" was not accepted for question #6. I almost answered with "eros" but wasn't sure if that was precisely correct because it was also the name of the god.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

jjwaymee wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:42 am Given Thorsten's usual leniency, I was surprised to wake up this morning and find that "erotic" was not accepted for question #6. I almost answered with "eros" but wasn't sure if that was precisely correct because it was also the name of the god.
I had put down Eros initially, then replaced it with 'erotica'. I wasn't sure if it would be accepted or not. I also put 'tin can' instead of 'ashcan' so all in all a frustrating day for me. The 5(3)-4(3) loss also likely ensures that I will be staying in C rundle for another season.