Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by cf1140 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am

I don't understand why the math question had such a low get-rate. There's no time limit so just plug the numbers in until you get it...and it comes out to 2.7

badgerfellow
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by badgerfellow » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am

boson wrote:Some answers were regraded after I first looked at the scores last night. My win turned into a tie. Does anyone know what question it wss? I hadn't looked closely to see what my opponent had wrong before.
Looked like there were a few things off in the grading: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php? ... 06#p101206

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 am

georgespelvin wrote:I was totally clueless on the Math question (as I almost always am), but thought that I was being clever by guessing Pi because of what day it was. My instinct on this was so strong that I even marked it as a two instead of a three for my opponent who was one for eight in Math (it did not affect the outcome). Anyone else out there guess Pi because yesterday was 3/14?
Yep! Didn't even bother to plug a number in because, as someone else pointed out 3.1 on Q4 just works so well. My math stats pretty much guarantee me a 0 defense, so I would have lost either way.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:27 am

cf1140 wrote:I don't understand why the math question had such a low get-rate. There's no time limit so just plug the numbers in until you get it...and it comes out to 2.7
Agreed. I think it just looked so daunting lots of people didn't even bother. Of course you'd also need to know what the notation "lim n -> infinity" meant.

mcsheffrey
Contributor

Post by mcsheffrey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 am

I was shocked to discover that my opponent with a .714 on Mathematics didn't make the effort to figure this one out. I solved for n=2 and n=3 then realized where it was headed. Before solving and without carefully parsing the question I had assumed it would converge on 0, 1, or infinity. Including the "if expressing the answer as a number" was a very useful hint.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:17 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
cf1140 wrote:I don't understand why the math question had such a low get-rate. There's no time limit so just plug the numbers in until you get it...and it comes out to 2.7
Agreed. I think it just looked so daunting lots of people didn't even bother. Of course you'd also need to know what the notation "lim n -> infinity" meant.
Exactly. That's why I couldn't do it even if I had wanted to try.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 am

mcsheffrey wrote:I was shocked to discover that my opponent with a .714 on Mathematics didn't make the effort to figure this one out. I solved for n=2 and n=3 then realized where it was headed. Before solving and without carefully parsing the question I had assumed it would converge on 0, 1, or infinity. Including the "if expressing the answer as a number" was a very useful hint.
I figured it was either 0, 1, e, or pi. The 'nearest decimal' part indicated it wasn't 0 or 1. A few calculations deep and I could see where it was going (though I will say that posing this question on Pi Day was serious negbait).

morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by morbeedo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 am

I crushed calculus in high school and college, but sadly don't remember anything beyond algebra and geometry.

Like others, I plugged in the numbers and assumed the limit was 2.7, not remembering the irrational number e or realizing it was Pi day.

Got 1 point for my troubles and a win. Opponent went 0(0) :roll:

Went with middling instead of mediocre. How does ocre=mountain?

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:58 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
My math percentage is abysmal. I looked at that question and was going to leave it blank because I have no idea what "lim n -> infinity" means, except that I recognized the infinity symbol.

But I looked at the equation (if that's the word I want) and thought, "I wonder what happens if I plug in a number and just try doing the math?" So I did n = 2 and got 2.7. Trying it with n = 3 got me into places where I would have needed a calculator to get to the answer, so I quit trying that number.

Then I read the question again and thought, "Mathematical limit? What does that mean? I have no idea. Oh, well, maybe I should just submit 2.7. But that seems kind of simple....wait, today is March 14th. Could this be some other weird way of getting to pi, and I've missed something? That's certainly possible. I'll just put pi."

Hit "submit," and... :x :oops: :roll:

JLJ
Contributor

Post by JLJ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:22 pm

So, as I'm not mathematically inclined, and had no intention of trying to dredge up 20+ year old stale thoughts about how to make the calculation, I just went with this and let it go.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm

boson wrote:Some answers were regraded after I first looked at the scores last night. My win turned into a tie. Does anyone know what question it wss? I hadn't looked closely to see what my opponent had wrong before.
See my post edit earlier about my opponent's 7(4) becoming a 7(5). That would make Eleanor Roosevelt the re-graded question for my opponent.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:43 pm

This is only the second math question I've ever missed. I just read skullturf's solution (posted elsewhere); turns out that Calculus II methods are enough to get close, but you need more high-powered machinery to distinguish (rigorously) between two plausible lines of reasoning that lead to the correct answer of e and the incorrect answer of 2e (which was my answer). If I had calculated the expression for a few more n's, I could have gotten it right.

I was doubly irritated because yesterday was an unusually busy day and I spent some time on that question which took time away from other questions. The good news is that (unsurprisingly) I had been assigned a 0 for that question and I lost 3(2)-7(5), so I don't think I was ever going to win the match.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:52 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:I knew it wasn't O'Keeffe, but that was all I knew. Still managed to squeak out a tie with the always-formidable Reddpen.
You're too kind. It was I who squeaked out the 4(3)-4(4) tie, my first of two in a row (though in the second I got four right). Had I not punted the Saxe-Coburg question in our match, I'd have had my first-ever tie with identical defense.
RichmondJ wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
RichmondJ wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Lost 6(5)-7(4) in public, tied 6(5)-6(4) in private. My downfall was not appreciating how easy the Tupac question was when defending it against opponents with low pop music scores.
Yeah, even *I* got that one, which is saying something. The key: "legend" = dead.
For what it's worth, though, the twentieth anniversary of Notorious B.I.G.'s murder was less than a week ago.
I think "California Love" would still have inclined me toward 2Pac. But I'm glad I didn't think about it that hard.
Even knowing legend = dead left me with a 33-33-33-99 choice. Typed Tupac first, added Dr. Dre and Biggie Smalls, and finally went with Dre. Weren't all of them from--or at least recording in--California? Not getting that one without, you know, actual knowledge, the kind one acquires by Googling before posting... such as that the dead one from Straight Outta Compton is Eazy-E, not Dre. So much fail...

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 pm

reddpen wrote:Even knowing legend = dead left me with a 33-33-33-99 choice. Typed Tupac first, added Dr. Dre and Biggie Smalls, and finally went with Dre. Weren't all of them from--or at least recording in--California? Not getting that one without, you know, actual knowledge, the kind one acquires by Googling before posting... such as that the dead one from Straight Outta Compton is Eazy-E, not Dre. So much fail...
Tupac "2Pac" Shakur: From Oakland; started out as a roadie/backup dancer for Digital Underground (best known for "The Humpty Dance"); killed in a 1996 drive-by shooting in Las Vegas
Christopher "Biggie Smalls/The Notorious B.I.G." Wallace: From Brooklyn; top star of Sean "Puffy/Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Diddy/Hey Diddle Diddle" Combs's Bad Boy Records label; killed in a 1997 drive-by shooting in Los Angeles
Andre "Dr. Dre" Young: From Compton, CA; founding member of N.W.A.; gave Snoop Dogg and Eminem their big breaks; co-founder of Beats by Dre headphones, which was purchased by Apple in 2014 for $3.2 billion; very much alive
Eric "Eazy-E" Wright: From Compton, CA; founding member of N.W.A; died in 1995 due to AIDS-related complications
Sprinkles are for winners.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:My math percentage is abysmal.
Abysmal! That was my answer on Q6! :)

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:This is only the second math question I've ever missed. I just read skullturf's solution (posted elsewhere); turns out that Calculus II methods are enough to get close, but you need more high-powered machinery to distinguish (rigorously) between two plausible lines of reasoning that lead to the correct answer of e and the incorrect answer of 2e (which was my answer).
Yes, I was going to mention here, just in case some folks are interested: The first thoughts I posted this morning are here and then my thoughts from a couple of hours later are here.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 pm

skullturf wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:This is only the second math question I've ever missed. I just read skullturf's solution (posted elsewhere); turns out that Calculus II methods are enough to get close, but you need more high-powered machinery to distinguish (rigorously) between two plausible lines of reasoning that lead to the correct answer of e and the incorrect answer of 2e (which was my answer).
Yes, I was going to mention here, just in case some folks are interested: The first thoughts I posted this morning are here and then my thoughts from a couple of hours later are here.
I tried solving it analytically, but gave up after a few minutes. This is one question where actually plugging in numbers and seeing where it converges is way easier than the full solution. The problem had already converged to be rounded to 2.7 once you have plugged 3 in the solution. Being a masochist, I did 2, 3, 4 and somehow thought figuring out 10 would be easy (it was tedious).

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Or you were me, who didn't start trying to do math until past my bedtime and even simple fractions turned into an enormous mess. If I didn't know Eleanor Roosevelt yesterday, I would have pulled a 0. Ooof. That did a great job getting my projected TCA back to normal. I just wish it didn't hurt so much!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 am

boson wrote:Being a masochist, I did 2, 3, 4 and somehow thought figuring out 10 would be easy (it was tedious).
I didn't make it all the way through it, but even 10 wasn't too too hard. It was basically (10/9)^9*10. 10/9=1.11, so multiply that out 9 times. But yes, 3 showed where the convergence was pretty quickly.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 pm

econgator wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:My math percentage is abysmal.
Abysmal! That was my answer on Q6! :)
I'd listen to songs whose titles start with abysmal - well, all except for Abba.