Tuesday, February 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Another fancy-pants food category where I'm stunned that anyone knows ANY of this.
Yes, eggs over easy, chicken ala king, pasta primavera and crab cakes - all food that only Rockefellers eat.

Or anyone who has had breakfast, been to a diner, an Olive Garden or a Cheesecake Factory.
Eggs over easy I knew. I've NHO chicken a la king, only barely know what pasta primavera is, and Cheesecake Factory is so ludicrously expensive that I doubt they'd even let me in one.
Yes, Cheesecake Factory is so "ludicrously expensive" that it's usually an hour wait to get seated. And because entrees in the range of $10-$20 are so out of whack to the rest of the U.S. They probably even have napkins, they're so exclusive and fancy.
This is the wrong thread for this, and posts that were not germane to the topic have been moved.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote:I don't know if FJ could get much easier.

And a tough break for Hannah in that last minute. Germany wasn't a terrible guess (all things considered) but did she even form it as a question?
By the time I read/'heard the part of the clue indicating a male writer with a festival in his honor in New Orleans, I was pretty sure already they were talking about Tennessee Williams. When the clue spotted them Stanley and Stella and two of three contestants still weren't in the ballpark, well, that was not an impressive FJ by two tournament-caliber contestants. Viraj looked strong otherwise, but that seems a pretty glaring hole in the knowledge base for a guy advancing to the next round. We shall see.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

John Boy wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:I don't know if FJ could get much easier.

And a tough break for Hannah in that last minute. Germany wasn't a terrible guess (all things considered) but did she even form it as a question?
By the time I read/'heard the part of the clue indicating a male writer with a festival in his honor in New Orleans, I was pretty sure already they were talking about Tennessee Williams. When the clue spotted them Stanley and Stella and two of three contestants still weren't in the ballpark, well, that was not an impressive FJ by two tournament-caliber contestants. Viraj looked strong otherwise, but that seems a pretty glaring hole in the knowledge base for a guy advancing to the next round. We shall see.
I was actually impressed Viraj knew who John Kennedy Toole was and correctly paired him with New Orleans. So it's possible he is good at literature overall but has a particular blindspot with plays and older movies. Which is fine, because those don't come up that often in College Jeopardy.

Viraj is a strong player, but it's hard to get a true read on his abilities in that game, which was much softer and less competitive than Monday's.

Amusingly, this game reminded me that back in high school, a couple of years before his appearance, my Quiz Bowl team scrimmaged against Craig Boge, a Stanford player who finished 2nd in a Jeopardy college championship.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

IMHO Viraj just reading too much into the clues, looking for the zebra in a herd of dromedaries, eh? Here's a 2nd guess dialogue with oneself:
"TN WMS = way too obvious, eh?! Must want me to dig deeper... who's an almost unremembered N.O. writer who won a posthumous Pulitzer... yeah, go with JK TOOLE!"

Totally understandable self-deceiving illogic, could have been anyone of us up there doing the same pep talk! No harshing on the kids, please, I think they're all doing a GREAT JOB!! :D
Such fun clearing these boards, like a walk in trivia park!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For the record, the only Cheesecake Factory stores I've ever seen are in malls that have uppity stores like Neiman Marcus and Coach. You're not gonna see them in the same shopping center as a Dollar Tree, just sayin'.
davey

Post by davey »

goatman wrote:IMHO Viraj just reading too much into the clues, looking for the zebra in a herd of dromedaries, eh? Here's a 2nd guess dialogue with oneself:
"TN WMS = way too obvious, eh?! Must want me to dig deeper... who's an almost unremembered N.O. writer who won a posthumous Pulitzer... yeah, go with JK TOOLE!"

Totally understandable self-deceiving illogic, could have been anyone of us up there doing the same pep talk! No harshing on the kids, please, I think they're all doing a GREAT JOB!! :D
Such fun clearing these boards, like a walk in trivia park!
That monologue would be fine, until he reached the Stanley and Stella reference. If you don't know that, you probably can't connect Williams to New Orleans either, so it's unlikely he thought Williams way too obvious.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I totally failed to notice how negbaity "Cram" for $200 was: "Blah blah hockey blah blah Michigan" -> Red Wings -> Detroit, right? Wrong.
clprez

Post by clprez »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I totally failed to notice how negbaity "Cram" for $200 was: "Blah blah hockey blah blah Michigan" -> Red Wings -> Detroit, right? Wrong.
Part of the blah blah said Michigan Big House and an attendance of over 100,000. U of M for sure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

clprez wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I totally failed to notice how negbaity "Cram" for $200 was: "Blah blah hockey blah blah Michigan" -> Red Wings -> Detroit, right? Wrong.
Part of the blah blah said Michigan Big House and an attendance of over 100,000. U of M for sure.
Because people play hockey in football stadiums, right?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
clprez wrote:
Because people play hockey in football stadiums, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Winter_Classic
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)