Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: News for [...] $1,200 seemed like a Telemundo/Univision coinflip.
Jorge Ramos was infamously told to "sit down" by Donald Trump in 2015, as well as to "go back to Univision."
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

morbeedo wrote: Negged on Leningrad for Stalingrad because I don't know anything about Russia.
You should probably review WW2. I Googled "Most Important Battles in WW2" and the first source I found listed Stalingrad at #1, ahead of Midway and D-day. http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... ld-war-ii/
morbeedo wrote: Pronounced Kaepernick as Copernic - close enough?
Probably.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sometimes it goes in reverse too: for instance, Pierre just "feels" right as being the capital of SD, since there's nothing in SD whatsoever and oh wait, both Sioux Falls and Rapid City are a billion times bigger. This is the same mental trap that makes me constantly forget which Dakota has Mount Rushmore, because I keep going "Well, SD is the one whose capital is total BFE; that means SD has absolutely nothing to offer; that means Rushmore must be in ND."
It might help if you remember that the slogan on North Dakota's licence plates read: "North Dakota: Basically South Dakota with all the interesting parts taken out."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

twelvefootboy wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:
1) Props to alietr for the powerful right brain processing.
2) Boo to the writers - imho it doesn't even fit the category because we all know this as UAE. Would Alex have given the BMS to the answer as "UAE"?
3) Props to the student that got the rebound (can't remember which one). After seeing someone scorched for $1K, how do you not stay clam?

It was a mean question. If they wanted to use UAE, they should have gone with "this three word name...", or some other track.
No hate to the writers, btw. I have to believe they made a mistake.
What mistake was that?
Is this a rhetorical question? There's been a dozen posts on this already. I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they didn't intend it as a trick question.
A geography TOM is perfectly acceptable (IMHO) in a "quotation mark" category if
a) the country name is regular usage, and
b) there isn't an extremely similar, but barely incorrect alternate answer that has been in the news for a few years, even before the recent immigration/refugee fiasco.
My opinion only, I don't pretend to be a Jeopardista. Based on the rest of the softball questions this week, I think the writers overlooked the wickedness of this clue. My confirmation bias is reinforced by many other posts on here from very smart people who missed it for the same reasons.
End of announcement.
My use of the term "mistake" is just stronger than yours. I usually reserve that for clues or responses that are just plain wrong. I agree with you that the writers misjudged difficulty.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got UAE only because that was what first came to mind. The geographical description was no help as I couldn't have told you where it is located. Looking at the map, if you had a general idea of where Yemen is I can see why you'd go for it, even if you also thought of UAE as they both border Saudi Arabia and Oman.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:I got UAE only because that was what first came to mind. The geographical description was no help as I couldn't have told you where it is located. Looking at the map, if you had a general idea of where Yemen is I can see why you'd go for it, even if you also thought of UAE as they both border Saudi Arabia and Oman.
My excuse is Yemen's been in the news a LOT more than the UAE has recently.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)