Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote:
alietr wrote:Good thing I forgot the category, because I did the geography in my head and came up with UAE instantly, then did a quick check on 'em' and answered. I hadn't thought about it, but Yemen was some serious negbait on that one.
1) Props to alietr for the powerful right brain processing.
Thank you, and I did have a map in my head, but it helps that I actually have driven from the UAE to Oman.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote: 2) Boo to the writers - imho it doesn't even fit the category because we all know this as UAE. Would Alex have given the BMS to the answer as "UAE"?
Come on. Of course it fits the category. People may refer to the country as "UAE," but people should know it's the United Arab Emirates. I see no reason Alex would need to BMS a response of "what is the UAE?"
I'm sure I've seen happen, but I can't find it right now, that in one of those "quoted" categories, someone who gave a shortened answer was ruled wrong because you have to pronounce the quoted part of the category in the response.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

rpg wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
“Bring Up the Bodies” is Hilary Mantel’s sequel to this historical novel about the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell
Spoiler
What is (2009 Man Booker Prize winner) Wolf Hall?
Jeopardy sure asks about it a lot. I didn't have a clue.
Me neither, but it's interesting that it's nearly identical to this clue from 2013:
In "Bring Up the Bodies", Hilary Mantel continues the 16th c. saga of Thomas Cromwell, begun in this book
I got this clue today because I've memorized that exact clue.
I'd never heard of either Hilary Mantel nor "Bring up the Bodies," but got the right response from watching the BBC miniseries "Wolf Hall" on PBS a couple of years ago. Mark Rylance (Oscar winner for "Bridge of Spies," GG winner for "Wolf Hall") and Damien Lewis ("Band of Brothers," "Homeland," and "Billions;" GG nominee for "Wolf Hall") had the leads. Well-done portrayal of Cromwell's machinations in aiding Henry VIII, especially in getting rid of various unwanted wives.

jks
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: I'm sure I've seen happen, but I can't find it right now, that in one of those "quoted" categories, someone who gave a shortened answer was ruled wrong because you have to pronounce the quoted part of the category in the response.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5461 "PEANUT", "BUTTER", "JELLY", "TIME", $800
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5059 THE "I.T." GUY, $2,000
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3801 I WANT MY "BABY" BACK, "BABY" BACK, $1,000

Also, in "FLYING" THINGS for $100, a College Championship contestant responded with "UFO" and was negged, and someone else rebounded with "flying saucer" and was called correct. I recall that following Alex's admonition that every response had to contain "flying," the UFO responder tried to contend that his response had it, and Alex shut him down because he hadn't actually said the word.
Volante

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote: I'm sure I've seen happen, but I can't find it right now, that in one of those "quoted" categories, someone who gave a shortened answer was ruled wrong because you have to pronounce the quoted part of the category in the response.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5461 "PEANUT", "BUTTER", "JELLY", "TIME", $800
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3801 I WANT MY "BABY" BACK, "BABY" BACK, $1,000

Also, in "FLYING" THINGS for $100, a College Championship contestant responded with "UFO" and was negged, and someone else rebounded with "flying saucer" and was called correct. I recall that following Alex's admonition that every response had to contain "flying," the UFO responder tried to contend that his response had it, and Alex shut him down because he hadn't actually said the word.
:o How do you do it...
game_id=5461 was the one I was likely thinking of, too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote:

Wow, that's some serious archive diving. Good job Seaborgium. I need to apologize for dissing the transuranic elements a few shows ago. You must have used hundreds of half-lives (2.4 seconds, of course I looked it up).
Sounds like if someone replied "UAE", AND if Alex took the answer without the BMS, they would have taken it back later.
I know I've wasted a lot of oxygen on this clue, but there's a lot more O2 than there is Sg. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wow, that's some serious archive diving. Good job Seaborgium. I need to apologize for dissing the transuranic elements a few shows ago. You must have used hundreds of half-lives (2.4 seconds, of course I looked it up).
Sounds like if someone replied "UAE", AND if Alex took the answer without the BMS, they would have taken it back later.
I know I've wasted a lot of oxygen on this clue, but there's a lot more O2 than there is Sg. :lol:
If someone had said "UAE," and then Alex gave a BMS and the contestant gave the full name, they still would have taken it back. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4562 ON THE "ROCK"S, $600
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:

I wouldn't be convinced by those first three examples, because in none of them did the person ruled wrong give an abbreviation or acronym, however the UFO one seems exactly like UAE, so that's pretty definitive to me.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I didn't get this FJ right because a common misconception of mine is that Rio de Janeiro is the capital of Brazil. So anything else that came to mind didn't sound right.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Anyone else notice how Corey was doing a mean Forrest Bounce at the start of the game but settled into more "conventional" clue picking after the first break (and their reversal of him)? I'm hoping he wasn't given a talking to by the CCs not to Bounce because I quite enjoyed it while it lasted!
JayK33 wrote:I didn't get this FJ right because a common misconception of mine is that Rio de Janeiro is the capital of Brazil. So anything else that came to mind didn't sound right.
If it helps, it was for a long time.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously, why the blatant applause machine in the intro?
Proof that it's an applause machine and not overly enthusiastic college kids watching their friends? Aside from the Watson games and the UTOC finals I've never known of J! even needing to resort to one, no evidence that they need to here, whereas Occam's razor combined with youthful exuberance says my theory is more likely.
TenPoundHammer wrote:News for $400 seemed like negbait for Cracked.
To my dismay Cracked isn't nearly as well known as BuzzFeed. (Note: I'm telling you that BuzzFeed is by far the much more commonly known website by the general populace but I'm not expecting you to remember this, and fully anticipating a disagreement based on no actual facts.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:And $1,200 seemed like a Telemundo/Univision coinflip.
At least you didn't say "Channel Ocho" like a certain Canadian mod of this board.
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "south" in Statues at $400? That seemed like a very opaque clue.
TBH I was waffling between north and south and chose poorly. On reflection, it was the uniform (looked more Confederate than Union) and the mention of "burning" (evocative of Atlanta) that led me there, but I believe they mentioned the statue was in Pennsylvania, a northern state, which led me to North.
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Well, let's see. Sao Paulo, Quito, Montevideo, La Paz, Sucre, Lima, Santiago, Buenos Aires, that's all the ones I can think of, and none of them fit." I keep forgetting about Brasilia, because it just feels like Sao Paulo should be the capital. Just like how Burlington feels to me like it should be Vermont's capital.
And Detroit should be Michigan's capital. And New York should be the national capital. Amiright?
TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued. Couldn't pull Tempe in time either.
The college football national championship mentioned in the clue happened less than six weeks ago. Just stop.
I've heard of the university, but it never crossed my mind that it's in a town of the same name. Remind me of that the next time I pass by University of Michigan, which is obviously located in the town of Universityofmichigan. Or Harvard, which is clearly located in the town of Harvard. Or Texas A&M, which is located in the town of Texasaandm.
If it helps, TPH, I'm with you as I don't follow college sports (I've hear of Clemson, but had no idea it was also a town (or that it was in SC)). I'm wondering when this was taped, if it was before the championship, would it be as easy as Matty makes it out to be? (OK, yes, for those that even remotely follow college sports I'm guessing it would be, but the championship is not a reason for the players to know it if it was before the big game.)
seaborgium wrote:Oftentimes, when I see people calling something negbait here, I think (and sometimes express) that they shouldn't blame the writers for their own lack of knowledge that made the wrong answer attractive. Having had this attitude toward other people's posts is now causing me to resist asserting that the UAE clue in the "EM" category was negbait for Yemen. (If anyone else wants to say it first, though, I might go ahead and agree with you!)
Joining the chorus. (Me: "What is Yemen. Even though, while an argument could be made for Oman on the SE, there's no way Saudi Arabia could be on the southwest at all, the writers really slipped - oh! Well, that's negbait.")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
Proof that it's an applause machine and not overly enthusiastic college kids watching their friends? Aside from the Watson games and the UTOC finals I've never known of J! even needing to resort to one, no evidence that they need to here, whereas Occam's razor combined with youthful exuberance says my theory is more likely.
They pump extra crowd sounds into every episode. I've heard the same two women scream several times this week that I've heard in almost every week of the show in the last ten years, that I heard at the end of the UToC, that I've heard in early '90s episodes on YouTube. I've been in the audience for a College Championship taping and regular tapings, and "dutiful" is by and large the adjective that best describes the audience's applause.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Ninja'd by Seaborgium, but I could definitely tell that it was an applause machine. My ears are trained to pick up on the repetitive mechanical nature of applause machines from how long Wheel's used them.

And I've had multiple sources say that the Wheel audience is usually stone silent before the applause machine's added. Seriously, a million dollar wedge hit will often result in stone silence.
dhkendall wrote:To my dismay Cracked isn't nearly as well known as BuzzFeed. (Note: I'm telling you that BuzzFeed is by far the much more commonly known website by the general populace but I'm not expecting you to remember this, and fully anticipating a disagreement based on no actual facts.)
That I'll chalk up to my own experience, since I read Cracked but not BuzzFeed, and come across links to the former far more than the latter.
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "south" in Statues at $400? That seemed like a very opaque clue.
TBH I was waffling between north and south and chose poorly. On reflection, it was the uniform (looked more Confederate than Union) and the mention of "burning" (evocative of Atlanta) that led me there, but I believe they mentioned the statue was in Pennsylvania, a northern state, which led me to North.
Those all seem like very nebulous guesses for the top box.
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Well, let's see. Sao Paulo, Quito, Montevideo, La Paz, Sucre, Lima, Santiago, Buenos Aires, that's all the ones I can think of, and none of them fit." I keep forgetting about Brasilia, because it just feels like Sao Paulo should be the capital. Just like how Burlington feels to me like it should be Vermont's capital.
And Detroit should be Michigan's capital. And New York should be the national capital. Amiright?
Not saying that all cases are like that. Just that I sometimes go by what "feels" right for the capital, and end up being miles off. It's like, okay, Lansing isn't Michigan's biggest city. It's at least big enough to "feel" like a capital to me. If our capital were, say, Alpena, then I would definitely struggle to remember it. And I live less than an hour from Alpena.

Sometimes it goes in reverse too: for instance, Pierre just "feels" right as being the capital of SD, since there's nothing in SD whatsoever and oh wait, both Sioux Falls and Rapid City are a billion times bigger. This is the same mental trap that makes me constantly forget which Dakota has Mount Rushmore, because I keep going "Well, SD is the one whose capital is total BFE; that means SD has absolutely nothing to offer; that means Rushmore must be in ND."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote:My opinion only, I don't pretend to be a Jeopardista. Based on the rest of the softball questions this week, I think the writers overlooked the wickedness of this clue.
The clue is pretty obviously written to exclude Yemen as a possible response. So whatever the writers overlooked, it wasn't the possibility that Yemen might come to mind. I think you're right that they didn't realize how likely Yemen was to come to mind first and how little those directional indicators would help in ruling it out. Even geography whizzes would have to take a second or two to visualize a map, note how Yemen is situated, reject it, and keep looking. There'd be time to do that in a DD--though I think this clue would be fairly wicked even as a DD, probably TOC level. On a regular clue, forget it. Yemen has those borders. Yemen fits the EM category. Boom click respond ooh-sohrry boggle.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

3S to get FJ; 27s to run the other S. Am caps and second guess me. 8-)
Spoiler
More or less clockwise from Brazil, not including island principalities:
Asuncion, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Santiago (recently featured = St James), Lima, Quito (second highest world capital), LaPaz (highest)/Sucre (third highest), Bogota (5th highest after 4: Thimpu, Bhutan), Caracas, Georgetown, Paramaribo, Cayenne ('pepper' capital).
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm pretty good at geography but directional clues always confuse me. Yemen came right away but directionally seemed wrong, yet couldn't come up with Emirates.

Negged on Leningrad for Stalingrad because I don't know anything about Russia.

So did Corey lose money on "grata"? At the start of DJ, Alex said "we took some money away from Corey" but didn't say why. Corey clearly said "grata" in FREE SPEECH and Alex said "yes, gratis". This is a pretty regular error on AT's part, and it always irks me.

Pronounced Kaepernick as Copernic - close enough?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued. Couldn't pull Tempe in time either.
The college football national championship mentioned in the clue happened less than six weeks ago. Just stop.
I've heard of the university, but it never crossed my mind that it's in a town of the same name. Remind me of that the next time I pass by University of Michigan, which is obviously located in the town of Universityofmichigan. Or Harvard, which is clearly located in the town of Harvard. Or Texas A&M, which is located in the town of Texasaandm.
If it helps, TPH, I'm with you as I don't follow college sports (I've hear of Clemson, but had no idea it was also a town (or that it was in SC)). I'm wondering when this was taped, if it was before the championship, would it be as easy as Matty makes it out to be? (OK, yes, for those that even remotely follow college sports I'm guessing it would be, but the championship is not a reason for the players to know it if it was before the big game.)
If it were before the championship game, I imagine it would have been harder for the average non-sports fan. (FTR, the wording of the clue indicates that the taping occurred after Clemson's win.) Then again, this year's final was a rematch of last year's, so it's not like this is Clemson's first turn in the spotlight.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote:So did Corey lose money on "grata"? At the start of DJ, Alex said "we took some money away from Corey" but didn't say why. Corey clearly said "grata" in FREE SPEECH and Alex said "yes, gratis". This is a pretty regular error on AT's part, and it always irks me.
Skipped the interviews, did you?
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote:
morbeedo wrote:So did Corey lose money on "grata"? At the start of DJ, Alex said "we took some money away from Corey" but didn't say why. Corey clearly said "grata" in FREE SPEECH and Alex said "yes, gratis". This is a pretty regular error on AT's part, and it always irks me.
I'm not morbeedo, but I always skip interviews when the game is recorded, and oftentimes even when I'm watching it live. (This, despite finding Alex to be a charming, funny host) Is this a common habit among Jeopardy viewers?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

IronNeck wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
I'm not morbeedo, but I always skip interviews when the game is recorded, and oftentimes even when I'm watching it live. (This, despite finding Alex to be a charming, funny host) Is this a common habit among Jeopardy viewers?
Ha, guess I did. Sometimes I skip deliberately, otherwise I just start watching wherever I land on the fast forward. Unless I go too far, then I back up.

FWIW, I recently cut the cord, so I get Jeopardy over the air and record using Tablo DVR. I have to watch via iPad and send to TV via wi-fi, so the FF is very imprecise. Sometimes the reception is terrible and I have to watch with closed captions. But I can take or leave the contestant interviews.
Volante

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Poll question time!