Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I would've thought that the US flag would've been taken down in Havana in 1959, which is why I guessed Berlin for no real reason.
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

I finally came up with Havana about three or four seconds after the music stopped.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I was expecting a few reversals on Mohan, I'm sure I heard "Titanian" and "The Legend of Zoda", but either the judges didn't hear it or they didn't catch it.
I think that the latter was the result of a minor form of speech impediment such as rhotacism.
As someone with a minor form of speech impediment trying to get on the show, I"m curious how they determine the difference. If it was someone without an impediment, I'm sure it would have been negged (as evidenced by Alex's double-take), but how do they know that Mohan has one? I didn't really detect anything in anything else he said (other than of course Titianian, which I think was more of a case of "saying the wrong name for a thing and getting away with it.")
I don't hear either of these. What I hear, at most, is a very slight imperfection on the l (I think the tongue doesn't come fully forward), but it is articulated. Not close to Zoda. Maybe closer to Zedda. But I hear the l in there.
And he put no n on the end of Titania.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:And I guess there will be a lot of talk about FJ wagering strategy, and the lack thereof.
I disagree with this. Clarissa's (barely) in Stratton's Dilemma. She's going to lose anyway on the Double Stumper with Mohan if she bets to lock Viraj out, so I see no major issue with "all but $100".

Viraj's bet of $6,000 is also just find for "from third place in a four-fifths game".

I was actually pleasantly surprised by three very good wagers in this game.
I have no problems with these wagers. They weren't exactly what I would have recommended, but all quite defensible.

Mohan's bet from the lead was spot-on.

Clarissa had to bet to prevent being overtaken by Miraj, just in case Mohan missed while she and Miraj were right. I predicted/prescribed $12,401 for her. The amount she bet over that didn't change her odds of winning, that I can see.

Miraj's only hope, of course, was for the leaders to miss, in which case he had only to beat $2,400. He did that nicely. In a non-tournament game He might have wagered as much as $11,000 to maximize his win in case of a sole get. He didn't do so but really that didn't matter. He either wins and advances or loses and takes $10K.

Now, their FJ RESPONSES were another story altogether. I'm disappointed that three tournament-quality players seem to have missed the story of the re-raising of the flag at our embassy in Havana.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote:For those criticizing the guesses, what in your opinion would have been a GOOD guess? If Havana didn't occur to the contestants, should they have just left this FJ blank? If you agree they had to put something down, and you can't come up with a good guess other than Havana, then...

https://youtu.be/yV21TcbeAfY
Good point; there's probably not a very good guess other than the correct response. There's nothing about 1961 that suggests Saigon, Seoul or Iwo Jima. East Berlin might have been a decent guess for someone focused on 1961, but then 2015 wouldn't square with it. And this is after Alex went out of his way to emphasize that the response was topical - which is pretty unusual for him.

It's just surprising that with a pretty smart group, there's only been one correct response on FJ in these two games. I'll be curious to see where this one polls; from the comments, maybe it wasn't as easy as I thought.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

I was stuck on Berlin for about 20 seconds due to focusing on 1961, but was puzzled about the 2015 recent news part before it finally dawned on me. I think I would have had enough time to cross out the wrong answer and write the correct one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

[/quote]

And this is after Alex went out of his way to emphasize that the response was topical - which is pretty unusual for him.

[/quote]

I didn't understand if AT said "tropical", or "topical", and wasn't interested enough to back up. I also didn't recognize that this was unusual, but it is isn't it?
I figured either one would just confuse me. After the math, I tried thinking of new countries risen from the Soviet Union, but the 2015 took me to Cuba. I get now that it was tougher than I thought, but once Cuba crossed my mind I just had to come up with Havana.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

I plain screwed up my math on this one (no dyscalculia, but definite math anxiety...), and ended up in the early '70s at Saigon, but I'm not sure I would have grasped the significance of 1961 anyway, since the revolution was in '59. Another that seems obvious in retrospect.
clprez

Post by clprez »

davey wrote:I plain screwed up my math on this one (no dyscalculia, but definite math anxiety...), and ended up in the early '70s at Saigon, but I'm not sure I would have grasped the significance of 1961 anyway, since the revolution was in '59. Another that seems obvious in retrospect.
ditto
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

John Boy wrote: Clarissa had to bet to prevent being overtaken by Miraj, just in case Mohan missed while she and Miraj were right. I predicted/prescribed $12,401 for her. The amount she bet over that didn't change her odds of winning, that I can see.

Miraj's only hope, of course, was for the leaders to miss, in which case he had only to beat $2,400. He did that nicely. In a non-tournament game He might have wagered as much as $11,000 to maximize his win in case of a sole get. He didn't do so but really that didn't matter. He either wins and advances or loses and takes $10K.
Heh, the winner's name is Viraj, not Miraj. And you're wrong about Clarissa's bet. Firstly, yes, even $12,401 was a superior bet that would have increased her winning chances.

However, worrying about being ahead of Viraj in scenarios where she and Viraj get it correct isn't as important, because chances are that Mohan, the leader, gets it correct, too. And he will very likely cover.

Better to have adopted the same type of bet Viraj did.

Considering conditional probabilities, I think Clarissa's bet reduced her chances of victory from 25-30% to 15-20%. That might not seem so horrible in light of worse blunders, but it's a very significant amount nonetheless.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

IronNeck wrote:However, worrying about being ahead of Viraj in scenarios where she and Viraj get it correct isn't as important, because chances are that Mohan, the leader, gets it correct, too. And he will very likely cover.
So, you are saying that it is a superior wager where you would still lose even if you answer correctly?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

bpmod wrote:
IronNeck wrote:However, worrying about being ahead of Viraj in scenarios where she and Viraj get it correct isn't as important, because chances are that Mohan, the leader, gets it correct, too. And he will very likely cover.
So, you are saying that it is a superior wager where you would still lose even if you answer correctly?

Brian
That's potentially true for Clarissa in either case. Mohan can and did cover her. The superior wager is the one that maximizes one's winning chances.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

twelvefootboy wrote:What a great FJ clue! I got it easy enough once I cheated so I could do the math without distractions. I had not heard the story about the 3 marines at the embassy and that is such a cool story. I didn't know the exact year, I just know that our idiot politicians have denied my generation the privilege of visiting Cuba for no good reason. There's no way these kids have that sense of awareness of geopolitics. It sure became obvious from the guesses, but we shouldn't be too harsh on them.
I agree that it's a great clue. Certainly very gettable, but takes a little thought. I did the math, got to 1961, but the significance of that didn't jump out at me. I then thought back to 2015 and asked myself where U.S. would have put a flag back that had been gone for 54 years, and got Havana. I may have heard that story when it happened.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

School (4), French (4), Liquid (2), Verb (5), State (5), NYT (2)
Halo (3), Uncharted (3), No Man's Sky (4), "FALL" "OUT" (4), Elder (3), Video Games (3)

Lach Trash: laughs, Montana; DD: Juilliard

Instaget FJ due to the math.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Steppenwolf wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I was expecting a few reversals on Mohan, I'm sure I heard "Titanian" and "The Legend of Zoda", but either the judges didn't hear it or they didn't catch it. Regardless, he deserves the extra points for "This title Geat, so I guess they're looking for 'what is Beowulf'?"
'Zoda' is the way I heard it too, both times, but not distinctly enough that I was 100% sure.
I couldn't replay this, but he said it twice and I ALSO could have SWORN I heard "Zoda." I was certain they would overturn it.

Ah yes, that gem of a city, Iwo Jima.... :roll:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I would've thought that the US flag would've been taken down in Havana in 1959, which is why I guessed Berlin for no real reason.
^^^^ This. I couldn't figure out why they would re-erect the flag in 2015, but had nothing better.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Regarding Viraj, while I think that he's a very deserving Finalist and a good player, I also feel that he definitely looks the part of the self-satisfied Stanford student that, as an ex-Berkeley resident, I will never shake. :mrgreen:
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Woof wrote:Regarding Viraj, while I think that he's a very deserving Finalist and a good player, I also feel that he definitely looks the part of the self-satisfied Stanford student that, as an ex-Berkeley resident, I will never shake. :mrgreen:
Haha, I understand what you mean. (I've spent a lot of time at both campuses) However, Viraj is far, far from the worst example of what you're talking about with Standford students. :)

Plus, I think most undergrads tend to be a lot more self-satisfied or egotistical at that age than they end up in later adult life. Certainly the case for myself and most of my friends.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

A LIQUID CATEGORY $800:
Consomme is a French term for this clear soup of chicken or beef flavoring
I said bouillon (though I may have misspelled it) instead of broth and negged myself. Judges, what say ye? I'm inclined to take back the points.

I need to stop confusing Frank Miller with Alan Moore, and to erase the mental block (but I really liked her!) that obstructs Juilliard.

In the FJ runup, maybe my ears are going--they're picking up some indistinct loud sounds from my family--but I thought Alex said the clue was tough. Had I heard topical, that might have helped. As is, I was in the Berlin crowd off 1961 with nein confidence.
In and out of the pool four times
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.