Wednesday, February 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I, too, went with 1860. Didn't know Andrew Johnson was tailor.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

twelvefootboy wrote:This is close to a YEKIOYD, because even if you knew AJ was a tailor, you also had to know he wasn't the Veep both cycles.
dexterG wrote:Went with 1860 for FJ. Very surprised none of the contestants recognized Lincoln from rail splitter.
This Is Kirk! wrote:I, too, went with 1860. Didn't know Andrew Johnson was tailor.
This FJ ended up being my brick wall of this season's college tourney lot because one, I'd forgotten AJ was once a tailor (if I even have ever come upon that tidbit at all). And two, I wasn't even factoring in that 'tailor' referred to a veep. I too/three/four immediately went with 1860 based on 'rail-splitter' alone...whoops. Although that certainly was considerably more of an educated attempt than all three contestants' answers...at least one of them not going with 1860 or 1864 honestly shocked me too.
twelvefootboy wrote:I wonder if Natanel just got beat by lack of buzzer savvy?
That's my bet and sure what it looked like from where I sat. Whatever the reason, bang goes my College Tourney pool...le sigh.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

I cannot ever remember knowing that Andrew Johnson was a tailor. Railsplitter was obviously Lincoln. So, 1860 or 1864...coin flipped the wrong way.

A curious trend for the FJs in the semifinals: IMHO, Monday was absurdly easy, Tuesday was pretty hard, Wednesday was pretty hard. It will be interesting to see how they poll this week to see how my take holds up. I would have liked to see more evenly matched FJs for a tournament semifinal round.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,200
43 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: bubble, vested, Chris Dodd & Barney Frank (DD), smoke alarm

Recognized Lincoln as the rail-splitter but forgot that Johnson had once been a tailor.

Am I the only one who made the "A Room of Her Own" mistake?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Am I the only one who made the "A Room of Her Own" mistake?
Nope...made that mistake too, and it's one of those titles that has often been a bugaboo for me and I need to finally buckle down and remember properly.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
morbeedo wrote:NHO Salvador Allende. Any relation to Isabel? I'm guessing that's a no.
Not the writer, but he does have a daughter named Isabel.
Dang it! I always assumed they were the same person. No kidding. Thanks for setting me straight.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

While I got that clue (and the category, natch), I'm wondering what the TOM of Wolverine has to do with Mount Logan?

Like pretty much everyone here, I also instantly recognized the Lincoln reference, but didn't know the tailor was a reference to AJ (I thought it was another Lincoln nickname I was unaware of), but I couldn't remember his election year(s). First thought of 1860, but I thought Buchanan was president when the Civil War started, with Lincoln taking over shortly thereafter, so I settled on 1862. (And no I couldn't do the math to see if 1862, or even 62, was divisible by 4 fast enough). Very surprised that all three of them missed the "rail splitting" TOM. Also will bet large sums of money that there will be a "I was thinking of the 1860 election" (or something along those lines) button in the weekly poll.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:I would bet lots of money that Mari said Tristam.
That's what I heard as well. I was expecting a reversal. Tristan or Tristram would have been correct. But not, as far as I can tell, Tristam.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dexterG wrote:Went with 1860 for FJ. Very surprised none of the contestants recognized Lincoln from rail splitter.
I'm thinking this should be a poll question.

I clicked the box of glory for last week's poll. I'm headed for the box of shame on this one. And so far I have no complaints about the clues. All three have been fair and completely gettable.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:While I got that clue (and the category, natch), I'm wondering what the TOM of Wolverine has to do with Mount Logan?
Wikipedia says Logan is Wolverine's name. It also says he was born in Cold Lake, Alberta.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:While I got that clue (and the category, natch), I'm wondering what the TOM of Wolverine has to do with Mount Logan?
Not familiar with upcoming movies?
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/logan_2017/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Wolverine's civilian identity is "Logan"

There is a major motion picture (budget $127 million) being released in 1.5 weeks starring Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart titled "Logan" which is based on Wolverine.

I didn't know this but Wolverine's birth name is "James Howlett" and not Logan. Clark Kent is to Superman what Logan is to Wolverine. Kind of.

I did pretty bad on today's game. I didn't know Lincoln was known as the rail splitter and missed a lot of other clues. Lots of opportunity to improve.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, and one more thing, where does everyone get the idea that Canadians say "aboot"? Don't people have ears? Canadians say "aBOAT". If you're going to caricature, get it RIGHT, eh?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:Oh, and one more thing, where does everyone get the idea that Canadians say "aboot"? Don't people have ears? Canadians say "aBOAT". If you're going to caricature, get it RIGHT, eh?
Soary, eh?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Essay (3), Literacy (1), Song (0), Middle I (1), Her (4), Grad (3)
"S.A." (3), DiCaprio (4), Holiday (5), Element (3), Poets (3), Canada (4)

Lach Trash: Mount Logan, smoke alarm

A quick get- knew that Abe was the railsplitter and Andy was the tailor; also remembered their ticket year as opposed to the Lincoln/Hamlin one.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:(And no I couldn't do the math to see if 1862, or even 62, was divisible by 4 fast enough).
But don't you know whether you yourself were born in a leap year? You should then be able to figure out really quickly that 10 isn't (evenly) divisible by 4.

Or at least I would think.
mxc_takeshi wrote:... and Andy was the tailor
In Mayberry?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I thought that Harry Truman was a tailor, so I said 1948.

People haven't heard of the phrase "shalom aleichem"? My great-great-great uncle used that as his pen name when he wrote a bunch of short stories about some dairy farmer you may have heard of named Tevye, which were adapted into a play and movie that you have probably seen.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

mfc248 wrote:"Tailor" meant nothing to me, and I interpreted "rail-splitter" to refer to the Transcontinental Railroad; knowing it was completed in 1869, I dropped back to the Presidential election immediately preceding it. While I was only off by one cycle, wrong nonetheless; in retrospect, it should have rang a bell that a newspaper would have billed Grant foremost as a general.
Same here, except I went forward to 1872. Neither the railsplitter nor the tailor TOM rang bells for me, so the Transcontinental Railroad was the best thing I could latch onto.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Another 1860. I think it may out-poll 1864.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MattKnowles wrote:
Wolverine's civilian identity is "Logan"

There is a major motion picture (budget $127 million) being released in 1.5 weeks starring Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart titled "Logan" which is based on Wolverine.

I didn't know this but Wolverine's birth name is "James Howlett" and not Logan. Clark Kent is to Superman what Logan is to Wolverine. Kind of.

I did pretty bad on today's game. I didn't know Lincoln was known as the rail splitter and missed a lot of other clues. Lots of opportunity to improve.
Not a movie person, no. My kids saw the LegoBatman movie last night because they both love superheroes and I was like either "didn't they already have a Lego Batman movie" or "how do they make a movie about that video game?"

So Logan and James Hewlett is to Wolverine what Clark Kent and Kal-El are to Superman?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012