The Chase

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: The Chase

Post by triviawayne »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 pm
harrumph wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am I tape The Chase and fast forward through the slow sections.
Smart man. I wish it was on demand so I could do that, too.
triviawayne wrote:2. "Clearly, The Chase has brutally slow pacing for many people, judging by...the responses here"--sorry, not enough of a sample size to determine the overall public opinion on this

2a. "...as well as the fact that the US version was canceled on freaking GSN of all networks"--most shows are eventually canceled by GSN and every other network. All things must end eventually.

Of about 60 original game shows produced by GSN, the only one with more seasons than the chase would be Baggage (although all signs point to Idiot Test getting more seasons), so once again, your "proof" proves nothing.
The Chase was unsuccessful. That most other shows on GSN are too is irrelevant. Clearly, The Chase didn't connect with audiences enough.

One element (in my view, the main one) of this is the poor pacing. You can try to deny, hand-wave, and rationalize this away as much as you like, but it won't change reality no matter how much you would like it to. Sorry.
triviawayne wrote: 3. Wanting trivia shows stick to a half-hour format is not our decision. Network executives currently prefer one hour shows, so this is what we're going to continue to see until the trend changes.
Except this is completely wrong, since the vast majority of game/trivia shows still stick to a half-hour format.
I still haven't said anything about the pacing of this show being good/bad/fast/slow--that was all you.

You might try facts instead of opinions, it would bolster your points.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm I still haven't said anything about the pacing of this show being good/bad/fast/slow--that was all you.

So you're arguing for the hell of it? Or do you just really like constructing long, numbered lists?

That The Chase features roughly as many questions in an entire hour as Jeopardy does in half an hour, despite usually having shorter questions, is a fact.

One's feelings about this pacing are, by definition, an opinion. Hope this primer helps you out on the difference between fact and opinion.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm I still haven't said anything about the pacing of this show being good/bad/fast/slow--that was all you.

So you're arguing for the hell of it? Or do you just really like constructing long, numbered lists?

That The Chase features roughly as many questions in an entire hour as Jeopardy does in half an hour, despite usually having shorter questions, is a fact.

One's feelings about this pacing are, by definition, an opinion. Hope this primer helps you out on the difference between fact and opinion.
I'm setting the record straight regarding what you've said I've said that I've never said.

I never disputed that.

I've never said pacing being good or bad isn't a matter of opinion.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I've watched plenty of episodes of both the UK and Australian versions of The Chase, and yeah, I prefer them both to the US version, which I've only seen a few of. The pacing of the US version seemed to drag on a lot more and I didn't like how Mark (The Beast) was the only chaser. Both the UK and Australian versions have five chasers so it's nice to see the different personalities each episode.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 pm I've watched plenty of episodes of both the UK and Australian versions of The Chase, and yeah, I prefer them both to the US version, which I've only seen a few of. The pacing of the US version seemed to drag on a lot more and I didn't like how Mark (The Beast) was the only chaser. Both the UK and Australian versions have five chasers so it's nice to see the different personalities each episode.

My suggestions:

Don't reveal the correct answer until AFTER "the Beast" reveals his choice. MAkes for a more suspenseful qualifying round.

In bonus land, seclude "The Beast" in an isolation booth and afterwards, give him the same questions in the same order, plus however many new Q's if need be.

Also, make the questions A-b, True-False, or Yes-No.

Faster paced-show, no clock-stoppage (that is a SERIOUS issue with me).
Last edited by MDCSWildcats86 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm
JayK33 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 pm I've watched plenty of episodes of both the UK and Australian versions of The Chase, and yeah, I prefer them both to the US version, which I've only seen a few of. The pacing of the US version seemed to drag on a lot more and I didn't like how Mark (The Beast) was the only chaser. Both the UK and Australian versions have five chasers so it's nice to see the different personalities each episode.

My suggestions:

Don't reveal the correct answer until AFTER "the Beast" reveals his choice. MAkes for a more suspenseful qualifying round.

In bonus land, seclude "The Beast" in an isolation booth and afterwards, give him the same questions in the same order, plus however many new Q's if need be.

Also, make the questions A-b, True-False, or Yes-No.

Faster paced-show, no clock-stoppage (that is a SERIOUS issue with me).

in Case the contestants lose, award $100 X however much time was left on the clock as "therapy cash", to be divided even;y in case more than 1 contestant qualifies.