Monday, March 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

I thought the clue was asking for a response that was the same in both as a word, and my response Innocent is as close to innocens as pious is to pius, so I don't feel so bad about it. Unfortunately there hasn't been a Pope Innocent since the 18th C... :roll:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm Didn't Nobel winners receive moolah in 60s?
I had to look this up because I didn't want to imagine Alex being wrong. He wasn't. Well he might have been about the air force.

The Nobel Prize comes with a cash reward of 1.2 million US Dollars. I can't find the value of the prize in the '60s but in the '80s it was $350,000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize#Award_money

The Nobel Prize in 1967 was split between 3 people and Rebecca's grandfather would not have won more than $120,000. The Tournament of Champions gives out $250,000 so she would have won more.

Congratulations to Rebecca for winning another game. Also congratulations to her grandfather George Wald for being recognized for his discoveries concerning the primary physiological and chemical processes in the eye.

I missed Pius. At least I got Cape Town.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm Didn't Nobel winners receive moolah in 60s?
I had to look this up because I didn't want to imagine Alex being wrong. He wasn't. Well he might have been about the air force.

The Nobel Prize comes with a cash reward of 1.2 million US Dollars. I can't find the value of the prize in the '60s but in the '80s it was $350,000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize#Award_money

The Nobel Prize in 1967 was split between 3 people and Rebecca's grandfather would not have won more than $120,000. The Tournament of Champions gives out $250,000 so she would have won more.
According to an inflation calculator, $120,000 had the purchasing power of $875,220 today. George Wald also won a litany of other honors with large cash prizes associated with them, like the Lasker Award.

And his salary as a Nobel Prize winning, tenured professor at Harvard would, factoring in inflation, be more than the vast majority of superchampions on the show win.

So yes, Alex Trebek was wrong. Rebecca has her work cut out for her if she wants to make more money than her grandfather. :)
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm Pius is an English word?
This confounded me as well. But
Benedict = Benedictus
Francis = Franciscus
Pius = Pius (I guess)

And (damn!) Innocent = Innocentius
Kind of lame, I think.
Last edited by davey on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

I pre-called Pius when the FJ category was revealed...and darn if I didn't decide to stick with Pius right when Alex began reading the clue! Always terrific to do that with a triple stumper. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Ran Tricky Clues (including the Navy and MOMA LTs), and almost ran Festivals (said just 'apple festival' instead of 'Johnny Appleseed'...d'oh!), 19th Century Authors (couldn't conjure Horatio Alger in time), and Begins and Ends With F (honestly had never heard flyleaf until this evening). Also got the Holland, MI and Los Vaqueros/Cowboys DDs.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Maven wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 pm I pre-called Pius when the FJ category was revealed...and darn if I didn't decide to stick with Pius right when Alex began reading the clue!
Same here!

Bogota being a triple stumper was odd especially when spotted "B."
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

Wrong Alex. The closest relative to Pius in English is "Pious". Not a name. Leo is a very common name. Leo McCrary, Leo Durocher, Leo Gorcey, ad infinitum. What a loser final.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

a1srvng wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 am Wrong Alex. The closest relative to Pius in English is "Pious". Not a name. Leo is a very common name. Leo McCrary, Leo Durocher, Leo Gorcey, ad infinitum. What a loser final.
So what do we call Mr. The Twelfth in English?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pmCurse those contestants for not finishing the geography category!
Sure way to get me to root against you is to leave geography clues on the board. :)
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 pm Instaget. The pope has been named Pius for most of the time the U.S. has been a country.
That seemed like a surprising fact, so I looked it up. Doing very rough math (so I could be off by several years), the Pope has not been named Pius for 107 years of the existence of the United States, so "most" is arguable". ("Majority", sure (if my math is anywhere close to right), but a slim one.)

I did get the Final after switching from Paul at around second 20.

Another question, what lead to to Phelps in the $400 biography clue? Other than the fact that he was a swimmer and the name of the book, [TPH]it could literally be a billion famous swimmers{/TPH]. (While Phelps is definitely a top level clue, in my mind so are Mark Spitz and Greg Louganis, but I may be showing my age). Was there anything pointing to a current swimmer, or does one have to know the book title? (There, TPH, I saved you a rant.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm Pius is an English word?
Irrelevant, no? They call him Pius in English, and they call him Pius in Latin. That's all that's being asked.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Wikipedia lists the names of the popes in English and Latin, notably Pius / Pius
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am Another question, what lead to to Phelps in the $400 biography clue? Other than the fact that he was a swimmer and the name of the book, [TPH]it could literally be a billion famous swimmers{/TPH]. (While Phelps is definitely a top level clue, in my mind so are Mark Spitz and Greg Louganis, but I may be showing my age). Was there anything pointing to a current swimmer, or does one have to know the book title? (There, TPH, I saved you a rant.)
Heh, my only neg of the game was saying "Who is Mark Spitz?" instead of Michael Phelps there. As usual, I failed to note the category name, "Current Biographies", which would heavily point to Phelps. However, you're correct; short of knowing the title of his book, one couldn't pinpoint it to him solely through "famous swimmer".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:41 am
dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am Another question, what lead to to Phelps in the $400 biography clue? Other than the fact that he was a swimmer and the name of the book, [TPH]it could literally be a billion famous swimmers{/TPH]. (While Phelps is definitely a top level clue, in my mind so are Mark Spitz and Greg Louganis, but I may be showing my age). Was there anything pointing to a current swimmer, or does one have to know the book title? (There, TPH, I saved you a rant.)
Heh, my only neg of the game was saying "Who is Mark Spitz?" instead of Michael Phelps there. As usual, I failed to note the category name, "Current Biographies", which would heavily point to Phelps. However, you're correct; short of knowing the title of his book, one couldn't pinpoint it to him solely through "famous swimmer".
I whiffed with Johnny Weissmuller. Yeah, I too forgot the category...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,000
41 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Accent, Phantom, Civic, Holland (DD), Bogota, Nick Nolte, Baffin Island, Missouri River, Philadelphia Eagles
dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am(While Phelps is definitely a top level clue, in my mind so are Mark Spitz and Greg Louganis, but I may be showing my age).
FTR, Greg Louganis was a diver. Not like Brando in On The Waterfront. The respectable kind.
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

a1srvng wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 am Wrong Alex. The closest relative to Pius in English is "Pious". Not a name. Leo is a very common name. Leo McCrary,
McCarey
dhkendall wrote:
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 pm Instaget. The pope has been named Pius for most of the time the U.S. has been a country.
That seemed like a surprising fact, so I looked it up. Doing very rough math (so I could be off by several years), the Pope has not been named Pius for 107 years of the existence of the United States, so "most" is arguable". ("Majority", sure (if my math is anywhere close to right), but a slim one.)
According to the list of popes on Wikipedia:
  • Pius VI, 24 years, 195 days
  • Pius VII, 23 years, 159 days
  • Pius VIII, 1 year, 244 days
  • Pius IX, 31 years, 236 days
  • Pius X, 11 years, 16 days
  • Pius XI, 17 years, 4 days
  • Pius XII, 19 years, 221 days
That sums to 128 years, 345 days, covering MOST of the time the U.S. has been a country (1776-present).
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:41 am
The clue said "legendary" and that word didn't seem to fit someone who was active last year.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Our local station cut into J! just as the DJ! round started, in order to cover the president's "campaign rally". I was not happy because their coverage was of the presidential motorcade arriving and the president entering the building. Other stations waited until he started his speech.

As for FJ! I came up with Pius from the clue posted here.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I'm not sure if this is the time to throw the BS Flag. Given the date (mid-20th C.), the first pope I thought of was Pius. I immediately rejected that because Pius (in Latin) is not spelled the same as Pious (in English). I proceeded to mentally run through John, Paul, John Paul (twice), Benedict, and Francis, and determined the clue has no correct answer.

boo, hiss.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Isn't there some declension of Benedictus that would end up being just plain Benedict?

Did anyone else think that the festival in MIchigan would've been in Frankenmuth? When I think about German or Dutch festivals in MIchigan, that seems like the go-to touristy place to have them.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:55 am Isn't there some declension of Benedictus that would end up being just plain Benedict?

Did anyone else think that the festival in MIchigan would've been in Frankenmuth? When I think about German or Dutch festivals in MIchigan, that seems like the go-to touristy place to have them.
Nah. Dutch stuff in Michigan is Pavlovian for Holland (for some strange reason).