Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

I gave jodhpurs as a correct response in the ToC. I wasn't missing this one (although I got worried that "knickers" was what they wanted).

I can trace my knowledge of jodhpurs to one thing: in a book of word puzzles, there was a page of unique letter combinations, to which you had to give the only (or almost only) English word in which that combination occurs (there was a UToC FJ like this, giving "GNT"). As I recall, the only two-letter one was HP, and preteen me had no clue. So I looked it up in the back of the book, and then I looked "jodhpurs" up in the dictionary.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm So, what's the difference between a patronage system and a spoils system?? Other than the fact that Wikipedia puts quotes around spoils.
A very good question. I was trying to ring in with "spoils," but Rebecca's thumb was faster. After she was ruled incorrect with "patronage," I lost confidence in my original answer and hesitated too long. Ah, hindsight.......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

French Rage wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 pm All that said, the thing I take away from this is Rebecca's interview question, which it seemed like Alex could not have wanted to get away from quicker. Kevin, did they edit the hell out of that?
The day was such a blur that I misremember a lot of details, but I don't recall much more chitchat than was actually shown. I think pretty much all of the contestant comments made it to the show.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 am Just want dto pipe in and say I got the anorak clue. :D (For those who don't get the reference, I mentioned on here before that when this board was created after the official Sony board went down for good, I toyed with the idea of using a new username on here, I thought of using the name "anorak" since it has two meanings: a parka, and is also British slang for a know-it-all. As a nerd in a cold climate, I figured that suited me to a tee. Ultimately I chickened out and decided to keep my Sony board name for continuity's sake.)

Also got FJ and left out the "h" to be safe.
You may have noticed I originally mispronounced "anorak" -- have seen it in print, but not sure I had ever heard it used. Glad pronunciation doesn't count for oral answers as long as you can get there phonetically.

Also VERY glad spelling doesn't count as long as the pronunciation can be correct. Thank goodness for silent lehters!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:30 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm Bad FJ bet by Adam. If you are betting small from the lead, why let second place beat you by betting zero? I wonder if she just got confused and added $5 instead of subtracting it.
JayK33 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:36 pm I don't get wagers like Adam's. If Kevin wagers 0 and they both get it wrong, Kevin still wins by $5.
Adam held a slight lead. There are four scenarios: Adam Right Kevin Right (RR), Adam Right Kevin Wrong (RW), Adam Wrong Kevin Right (WR), Adam Wrong Kevin Wrong (WW).

The bet made by Adam wins him the game in 3 of those 4 scenarios (RR,RW,WW). He would have lost with (WR).

If he had made the standard bet he would have won in 2 of those 4 scenarios (RR,RW). He would have lost with two of those scenarios (WW,WR).

If Kevin had bet according to the J-Archive wagering calculator then Adam's bet would win in 3 out of 4 scenarios which outperforms the bet suggested by the wagering calculator for Adam. Edit: The wagering calculator gives a range of values for Kevin's bet and my original comment is only correct for the lower side of the range. If Kevin bets according to the high side of the wagering calculator then Adam only wins in 2 of the scenarios.

Adam lost because of jodhpurs but his betting was fine.
I can't disagree. Neither of us liked the category, so I simply wanted to enough to cover in case Adam wagered zero. Adam (correctly) predicted I would wager small, and gambled on not needing to cover a big wager and correct answer on my part. By so doing, as pointed out, he moved the more common 2/4 chance of leader winning to 3/4.

I didn't remember details until I watched the episode, but after viewing last night I was remembering Wallace Shawn and Cary Elwes exchanging cups of poison in "The Princess Bride" (Rebecca solo FJ get, forsooth). Neither of us took it to as many levels as Vizzini did, but the "head games" may be a bit similar.......
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Kevin S. wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:30 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm Bad FJ bet by Adam. If you are betting small from the lead, why let second place beat you by betting zero? I wonder if she just got confused and added $5 instead of subtracting it.
JayK33 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:36 pm I don't get wagers like Adam's. If Kevin wagers 0 and they both get it wrong, Kevin still wins by $5.
Adam held a slight lead. There are four scenarios: Adam Right Kevin Right (RR), Adam Right Kevin Wrong (RW), Adam Wrong Kevin Right (WR), Adam Wrong Kevin Wrong (WW).

The bet made by Adam wins him the game in 3 of those 4 scenarios (RR,RW,WW). He would have lost with (WR).

If he had made the standard bet he would have won in 2 of those 4 scenarios (RR,RW). He would have lost with two of those scenarios (WW,WR).

If Kevin had bet according to the J-Archive wagering calculator then Adam's bet would win in 3 out of 4 scenarios which outperforms the bet suggested by the wagering calculator for Adam. Edit: The wagering calculator gives a range of values for Kevin's bet and my original comment is only correct for the lower side of the range. If Kevin bets according to the high side of the wagering calculator then Adam only wins in 2 of the scenarios.

Adam lost because of jodhpurs but his betting was fine.
I can't disagree. Neither of us liked the category, so I simply wanted to enough to cover in case Adam wagered zero. Adam (correctly) predicted I would wager small, and gambled on not needing to cover a big wager and correct answer on my part. By so doing, as pointed out, he moved the more common 2/4 chance of leader winning to 3/4.

I didn't remember details until I watched the episode, but after viewing last night I was remembering Wallace Shawn and Cary Elwes exchanging cups of poison in "The Princess Bride" (Rebecca solo FJ get, forsooth). Neither of us took it to as many levels as Vizzini did, but the "head games" may be a bit similar.......
But are either of you Sicilian??
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

grindcore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:59 am Comment from the reddit game recap thread I had to share:

"I feel like everyone has taken a computer science class from Kevin. He spends half the class telling funny stories about the Commodore 64, then tells everyone exactly what's going to be on the final."
Commodore 64?! Nah, not so much.

TRS-80 on the other hand -- now, THAT I can talk about.......
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pmI can trace my knowledge of jodhpurs to one thing: in a book of word puzzles, there was a page of unique letter combinations, to which you had to give the only (or almost only) English word in which that combination occurs (there was a UToC FJ like this, giving "GNT").
*raises hand* Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Kevin wagered (near) perfectly, Adam's wager was dreadful as were his DD wagers. If Kevin doesn't like the category he wagers $1501 to cover a zero wager by a dollar. If he likes the category he wagers $12599 to maximize winnings while still winning on a standard cover wager from the leader. And it's almost never worth trying to predict some funky wager from the lead and adjusting to such a guess.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,200
45 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Dustin Hoffman (DD), Brown, Christmas, spoils system

I'm happy to have gotten FJ! and surprised to have spelled it correctly.
IronNeck wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am Some very generous decisions by the judges today. . . . Rebecca got the already mentioned, inexplicable BMS for "patronage system" when the formal term was "the spoils system".
This was the opposite of a generous decision. "Patronage system" and "spoils system" are synonymous.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 am Coryat: $35,200
45 R/2 W

IronNeck wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am Some very generous decisions by the judges today. . . . Rebecca got the already mentioned, inexplicable BMS for "patronage system" when the formal term was "the spoils system".
This was the opposite of a generous decision. "Patronage system" and "spoils system" are synonymous.
I've only ever heard of it referred to as the "spoils system" in every single textbook and US history class I've come across, but looking it up online, there are some places that refer it to as "patronage system" in parenthesis, too.

In that case, I suppose the BMS she got was indeed the correct decision. Although I can think of analogous situations where a contestant was outright negged.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 am
45 R/2 W

I've only ever heard of it referred to as the "spoils system" in every single textbook and US history class I've come across, but looking it up online, there are some places that refer it to as "patronage system" in parenthesis, too.

In that case, I suppose the BMS she got was indeed the correct decision. Although I can think of analogous situations where a contestant was outright negged.
They're synonyms. As Encyclopaedia Britannica's website puts it:
Spoils system, also called patronage system, practice in which the political party winning an election rewards its campaign workers and other active supporters by appointment to government posts and by other favours.
Given that there is no "formal term" for the system--it is not, to the best of my knowledge, codified by name anywhere--either term should have been accepted.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:15 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pmI can trace my knowledge of jodhpurs to one thing: in a book of word puzzles, there was a page of unique letter combinations, to which you had to give the only (or almost only) English word in which that combination occurs (there was a UToC FJ like this, giving "GNT").
*raises hand* Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!
I thought you might weigh in!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:05 am
45 R/2 W

Spoils system, also called patronage system, practice in which the political party winning an election rewards its campaign workers and other active supporters by appointment to government posts and by other favours.
Given that there is no "formal term" for the system--it is not, to the best of my knowledge, codified by name anywhere--either term should have been accepted.
There is no "formal term" for a great many terms Jeopardy clues want. And yes, I agree they are synonyms, although one is clearly more popular/common than the other. I was hasty to say it should be a neg, but a BMS is perfectly fine and consistent with what they have done in the past.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:05 am
45 R/2 W

I agree that "patronage" should have been accepted; however,"spoils system" was a term for patronage initiated by Democrats in the Jackson administration, continued by Van Buren, and opposed by the Whig Harrison, so I assume that's why the judges held out for the specific phrase.
I found a different encyclopedia article that's a bit more specific-
http://www.encyclopedia.com/history/uni ... ils-system
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm
Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm Somewhat surprised that "Treehouse of Horrors" wasn't dinged.
The clue referred to multiple episodes; it thus stands to reason that "Treehouse of Horror"s would be accepted.
In the Simpsons style manual, on page 900, it says that the plural of "Treehouse of Horror" is "Treehouses of Horror."

:mrgreen:

When is the last time a champion finished in the negative?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:44 am
When is the last time a champion finished in the negative?
Philip Tiu's final game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan