Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm What play on words were they going for with 'array'?
The clue read: A grouping of something; there's a "very large" one watching the skies in New Mexico

It was referring to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_G._J ... arge_Array
Ahh ok. NHO that.
The clue read: Dr. Eric Coleman, one of these "-icians", helps the elderly transition from hospital to home

He is technically a physician. Physician is not wrong. They don't want to rule her incorrect for something which is accurate but they don't want to give her credit for it either, hence the BMS. I'm only speculating but that seems pretty reasonable.
The writers should have asked for "this type of doctor", without specifying one of these "-icians". That would have all but eliminated the chance of a contestant responding physician.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pmDid the math, but didn't think Gettysburg was 1863, I thought that was the last year of the war (which, yes, I now know was 1865) and the most appropriate locale I could think of was Appomattox Court House.
I too immediately first thought of Appomattox when the FJ clue was presented. But a third into the think music, I switched gears to Gettysburg and stuck with it, knowing the war ended in 1865, not 1863.

Ran Pie-Pouri, Ends With K, Pick Your Poison, and What Day Is It?, and almost ran A Fallen Category (including the windfall DD, but Skylab crushed me) and Play Time (including the Tennessee Williams LT, but unfortunately this play girl* just couldn't seem to get 'playboy' :oops:). Also got the Big Bang DD.

* - No, not *that kind* of play girl (which would be 'playgirl')...theatre, people, theatre... :P ;)
Last edited by Maven on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

By now, Gettysburg's significance has been established for our Canadian cohorts. Whether it is completely accurate or not, it is known as the turning point of the war. It is iconic for both sides, and I doubt if the average public school student remembers any other battles, even Bull Run(s)/Manassas, Antietam, or New Orleans. Maybe Sherman's march on Atlanta, just because of GWTW.

I answered just from the TOM that where the hell did they get 2000 living 94 year olds in the mid 1930's? What event would involve at least 100,000 (or whatever the actuary tables say) of them and would be worthy of a reunion? I did the actual math during the music, and worried a little when it came up 1863, but decided it was pitch perfect, and the Emancipation Proclamation didn't really play to a centrally collected group.

Silly bets by both the champ and the new champ. The Venice clue was Kid's week material, but you do have to worry about Amsterdam and another city that eludes me right now.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 pm
IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39 pm Surprised more people aren't noting "physician" getting a BMS, allowing Julie a second shot at the clue. I was shocked it was accepted, and even moreso that it wasn't reversed.
Her answer was technically correct but it wasn't what they wanted. They rule out a "technically correct" response by giving the BMS which requires the actual response.

The clue read: Dr. Eric Coleman, one of these "-icians", helps the elderly transition from hospital to home

He is technically a physician. Physician is not wrong. They don't want to rule her incorrect for something which is accurate but they don't want to give her credit for it either, hence the BMS. I'm only speculating but that seems pretty reasonable.
Since the clue already specified Coleman is a doctor, him being a physician is true by definition. It has nothing to do with his work with the elderly, and clearly wasn't what the clue was going for.

They wanted "geriatrician". I'm okay with accepting "geriatric physician", although it's a relatively rare term (2.2 million results for geriatrician versus only 51,000 for geriatric physician), but not for giving the contestant a second crack at it with just "physician".

There have been other cases on the show where a contestant responded with a wildly general answer unspecific to the clue that was not technically wrong and got outright negged.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 pm
They wanted "geriatrician". I'm okay with accepting "geriatric physician", although it's a relatively rare term (2.2 million results for geriatrician versus only 51,000 for geriatric physician), but not for giving the contestant a second crack at it with just "physician".
Nah, "geriatric physician" could just as easily refer to a very aged doctor. I think she got a gift.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Pie (3), Ends with K (3), Poison (4), Fallen (2), Day (5), Russians (4)
Grant (2), 5-Letter Words (2), Will Smith (4), Mammals (2), Play (3), Bridge (5)

Lach Trash: Tennessee Williams

Instaget FJ.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I strongly doubt the Gettysburg vets reuned there seventy-five times. 1864 strikes me as a particularly unlikely year for a meetup.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:42 am I strongly doubt the Gettysburg vets reuned there seventy-five times. 1864 strikes me as a particularly unlikely year for a meetup.
They didn't say the reunions had been annual.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maven wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:30 pm
I too immediately first thought of Appomattox when the FJ clue was presented. But a third into the think music, I switched gears to Gettysburg and stuck with it, knowing the war ended in 1864, not 1863.
Um, no. The war ended on April 9, 1865.
IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39 pmSurprised more people aren't noting "physician" getting a BMS, allowing Julie a second shot at the clue. I was shocked it was accepted, and even moreso that it wasn't reversed.
Someone might know better than me, but I cannot recall a BMS ever being reversed. I think once he says that, they accept whatever the contestant says until he rules them wrong. She certainly did luck out on that one.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 pm
Nah, "geriatric physician" could just as easily refer to a very aged doctor. I think she got a gift.
The ruling was entirely appropriate. While the phrase "geriatric physician" may be ambiguous (although not really in the context of this clue), as pointed out above there are thousands of google hits for it being used synonymously with geriatrician. Also, it's not true as some commentators have pointed out that Doc Coleman's title of "Dr." already identified him as a physician. A "Dr." can refer to anyone with a Ph.D. (For purposes of this clue, we can probably ignore that the title also potentially signifies a dentist or veterinairan.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Posting in case it's helpful (I needed to look this up just now to remind myself)

Battle of Gettysburg: took place over three days in Pennsylvania in July 1863. Deadliest battle of the war.

Battle of Antietam: took place on a single day in Maryland in September 1862. Deadliest single-day battle of the war.

(I had a vague idea in my head that "Antietam" = "deadliest", but I still went with Gettysburg for this FJ. I didn't know the exact year of either battle offhand, but I knew that Gettysburg subjectively felt like the most historically important to me.)
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm(I'm wondering, was Gettysburg a particularly notable battle, or was it just President Lincoln's speech there that made it a reunion-worthy event?)
Furthest northern incursion. Philadelphia threatened if successful. Massive battle over 3 days.

If you haven't been, GO. The shear scope of the battle ground is breathtaking.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 am
heppm01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 pm
The ruling was entirely appropriate. While the phrase "geriatric physician" may be ambiguous (although not really in the context of this clue), as pointed out above there are thousands of google hits for it being used synonymously with geriatrician. Also, it's not true as some commentators have pointed out that Doc Coleman's title of "Dr." already identified him as a physician. A "Dr." can refer to anyone with a Ph.D. (For purposes of this clue, we can probably ignore that the title also potentially signifies a dentist or veterinairan.)
I agree. There was nothing wrong about her initial answer "physician," it just wasn't specific enough, and isn't that exactly what the vaunted "be more specific" is for?
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 am
Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:42 am I strongly doubt the Gettysburg vets reuned there seventy-five times. 1864 strikes me as a particularly unlikely year for a meetup.
There were several major reunions at Gettysburg. The 25th anniversary event in 1888 was attended by an estimated 30,000 people.

Both the 50th anniversary event in 1913 and the 75th anniversary reunion in 1938 were open to all Civil War veterans, not just those who fought at Gettysburg. The 1913 event drew more than 53,000 veterans. Of the 2,000 veterans who attended in 1938, only 25 had taken part in the 1863 battle. Footage of the 1913 and 1938 reunions can be seen in the final installment of Ken Burns' "The Civil War" series.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

50R. Instaget. SPent 29s figuring that I was correct. :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Somebody should put together a years Pavlov. 1066, 1776, 1789, etc. 1863 would be in there.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Fleeboy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am
There were several major reunions at Gettysburg. The 25th anniversary event in 1888 was attended by an estimated 30,000 people.

Both the 50th anniversary event in 1913 and the 75th anniversary reunion in 1938 were open to all Civil War veterans, not just those who fought at Gettysburg. The 1913 event drew more than 53,000 veterans. Of the 2,000 veterans who attended in 1938, only 25 had taken part in the 1863 battle. Footage of the 1913 and 1938 reunions can be seen in the final installment of Ken Burns' "The Civil War" series.
It's remarkable that there were still 2000 veterans alive in 1938; living to 94 was quite a feat where the life expectancy when they were born may not have been 50 years.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am
Fleeboy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

It's remarkable that there were still 2000 veterans alive in 1938; living to 94 was quite a feat where the life expectancy when they were born may not have been 50 years.
According to Wikipedia, there were almost 180,000 participants in the battle.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am It's remarkable that there were still 2000 veterans alive in 1938; living to 94 was quite a feat where the life expectancy when they were born may not have been 50 years.
That life expectancy is a little misleading, because a lot of why it was so low had to do with high infant and child mortality. Plus, as the Civil War veterans got older they could benefit from continuing advances in medicine. (For example, the germ theory of disease didn't really catch on until the late 19th century.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I didn't know Will and Jada produced a flick about Fela Kuti but I have to check that out. One of the greatest musical minds ever.