2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

emtwo
Contributor

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by emtwo »

News from behind enemy lines: they've already scheduled taping dates. Am I allowed to say when it is? I don't really know how these disclosure things work.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

It is interesting to compare last year's tournament vs. this year's.

Last year had Tom Nissley, Joon and Roger Craig, all of whom lasted a bit. I thought they were deeper in champions as Jay Rhee, Tom Kunzen and Mark Rumsvold were all very impressive during the year to name a few. Not to mention there was also Christopher Short, a six day champion.

Lots of three day champions though who I don't think would be there if there were more five day winners but I wish them all the best.

There were, however, some big winners such as Jason Keller and Dave Leach, plus the two seven day champions.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

It's also possible other there will be other multi-day champions that end up in the field, since there are about two more months of regular episodes to air before the tournament.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

There is still some time left, but this year is not as deep. Last year Sara Heard ended up as the alternate. She got to go to the ToC, but she was player number 16 and got to watch. (I often wonder about that, maybe she could have killed someone while she was there and got in :twisted: ) She won 4 times and won $85,600, which would currently put her in 8th place out of 12 spots. This year she would be a lock to qualify.

They are already taping shows that are going to be on after the ToC. That means they already know who will be in. I would assume those people have already been contacted about taping dates.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

The episodes that will air immediately before and after the tournaments were taped on October 24, so they've known for over a month. I don't know when they contacted the contestants though (or if they have yet).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sherm wrote:There is still some time left, but this year is not as deep. Last year Sara Heard ended up as the alternate. She got to go to the ToC, but she was player number 16 and got to watch. (I often wonder about that, maybe she could have killed someone while she was there and got in :twisted: ) She won 4 times and won $85,600, which would currently put her in 8th place out of 12 spots. This year she would be a lock to qualify.
Just imagine: had he played two months later, Vijay wouldn't have made the ToC.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I would probably have all three of the 3xers who are still in contention to qualify in the silver group for the next ToC. And possibly gold for 1-2 of them.

Does anybody here know how many more people will qualify for the next ToC, if past trends hold true? I am thinking 3 or 4, but I am not sure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

emtwo wrote:News from behind enemy lines: they've already scheduled taping dates. Am I allowed to say when it is? I don't really know how these disclosure things work.
I am curious when the tournament is taping and disclosing the dates would not seem to spoil anything. My vote is yes. If you tell us perhaps I'll even put you in the Silver group. Good luck.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

StevenH wrote:Does anybody here know how many more people will qualify for the next ToC, if past trends hold true? I am thinking 3 or 4, but I am not sure.
As of tonight's show there have been 192 regular-play games since the end of the last ToC. The final game before the upcoming ToC will most likely be on a Tuesday, which would be either February 5, 12, or 19. Factoring in the upcoming Teen Tournament, that gives us a total of 230-240 games. That means we can estimate that we have seen between 9.6 and 10 of the field of twelve regular-play contestants that will qualify. Therefore, I would expect just two upcoming contestants to make the ToC.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

The final game before the upcoming ToC will most likely be on a Tuesday, which would be either February 5, 12, or 19.
The last regular game before the ToC airs at the end of January (I think they're airing the Teen Tournament immediately before the ToC).
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
The final game before the upcoming ToC will most likely be on a Tuesday, which would be either February 5, 12, or 19.
The last regular game before the ToC airs at the end of January (I think they're airing the Teen Tournament immediately before the ToC).
If so, that narrows down the starting date of the ToC to either February 6 or 13, and the end of the qualifying period will be either January 22 or 29.

ETA: This will be the first time a two-week tournament has aired immediately before the ToC. A week of Celebrity Jeopardy led into the 1993-1996 and 2003 ToCs, a single game of CJ was the opening ceremonies in 1999 and 2009, and the 2010 ToC was preceded by the semifinals and finals of the MDCI.

ETA: Also, the only tournament to have aired in the month of January (not counting one quarterfinal match of the MDCI) was the 2005 Teen Tournament, which probably would not have aired so early were it not followed by the UToC (which not coincidentally had been scheduled to end on the final day of May sweeps).
Last edited by cheezguyty on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

cheezguyty wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
If so, that narrows down the starting date of the ToC to either February 6 or 13, and the end of the qualifying period will be either January 22 or 29.
They told us on my tape day that the second episode of the day was the end of the qualifying period (which I think was the 29th?). Based on when the regular episodes are back afterward, I think that puts ToC start date at the 13th.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

MarkBarrett wrote:
emtwo wrote:News from behind enemy lines: they've already scheduled taping dates. Am I allowed to say when it is? I don't really know how these disclosure things work.
I am curious when the tournament is taping and disclosing the dates would not seem to spoil anything. My vote is yes. If you tell us perhaps I'll even put you in the Silver group. Good luck.
What do I get if I spill the beans? ;) We got the email from Maggie today!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dr. J wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I've had Gold level players jokingly request Silver from me before taping because often my five in Gold have not won. Roger did fine with Gold last tourney, so there is no talking your way to a lower level.

I checked the TV Tix site and many dates are shown but none specify the TOC dates. There is no extra information on the Sony site under the audience section either.

Share the dates and I can post potential clue material I spot like the recent Psy/Gangnam and The Shining sequel/Doctor Sleep. If the instructions are to post nothing about the TOC, even the dates, then of course honor that directive.

Board activity on Tuesdays and Wednesdays can be monitored and guesses can be made from that also?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Dr. J wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I've got an eye for these things, and I'm a pretty good guesser. I thought you had a chance to get in. :D
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The champ's third win tonight gives him $67800 and knocks Matt Samberg out of the TofC running.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Just to be clear, all I was told was the tape dates, not the air dates, so I can't solve that puzzle. But the taping is mid-January.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be February. My episode is supposed to air February 27, and I'm pretty sure Alex opened the show with a comment like, "Wasn't that an exciting Tournament of Champions?" It's possible I'm misremembering and he was talking about another tournament, but I think it's ToC.
I think Feb. 13-26 is a good bet based on this.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be February. My episode is supposed to air February 27, and I'm pretty sure Alex opened the show with a comment like, "Wasn't that an exciting Tournament of Champions?" It's possible I'm misremembering and he was talking about another tournament, but I think it's ToC.
I think Feb. 13-26 is a good bet based on this.
Assuming that's correct, there's Valentine's Day (second day quarterfinal) and Presidents Day (4th day quarterfinal) trivia to bone up on. Anything else?
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

I'll be seeing you there, Dr. J!