2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by chuck5982 »

http://www.jeopardy.com/news/season29-premiere.php

According to this release, the Teachers' Tournament will air November 7-20. So this means that 12 regular-game players will appear, along with two Teachers' champions, Patrick Quinn and one to be determined, and College Champion Monica Thieu.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

chuck5982 wrote:http://www.jeopardy.com/news/season29-premiere.php

According to this release, the Teachers' Tournament will air November 7-20. So this means that 12 regular-game players will appear, along with two Teachers' champions, Patrick Quinn and one to be determined, and College Champion Monica Thieu.
Depending on when that Military Week airs too (although I think its champ will probably have to go in the next ToC - along with the College Champ and the Teachers Champ - less and less room for the average contestant on there ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:http://www.jeopardy.com/news/season29-premiere.php

Depending on when that Military Week airs too (although I think its champ will probably have to go in the next ToC - along with the College Champ and the Teachers Champ - less and less room for the average contestant on there ... )
If it's just a Military Week, and not a Military Tournament, it seems like that would be more along the lines of Kids Week or Power Players Week, with 15 contestants each playing a single game, and no champion determined, so no TOC spot would be awarded. Just my thinking, but I've certainly been wrong before.

The Teen Tournament being in January seems odd, since virtually all of the tournaments in the past few years have been held in Sweeps months. Although I suppose it could be starting on or around January 28th and running into February sweeps, to be followed by the TOC.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:Although I suppose it could be starting on or around January 28th and running into February sweeps, to be followed by the TOC.
This seems likely, as the press release referred to to Teen Week as "a perennial fan favorite" [sic]

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Although I suppose it could be starting on or around January 28th and running into February sweeps, to be followed by the TOC.
This seems likely, as the press release referred to to Teen Week as "a perennial fan favorite" [sic]
What's the [sic] for? Is there something grammatically incorrect about that phrase, or were you just objecting to the idea of the Teen Tournament being a fan favorite?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
What's the [sic] for? Is there something grammatically incorrect about that phrase, or were you just objecting to the idea of the Teen Tournament being a fan favorite?
The latter - I'm sure it is, but I think around here it's the ToC that wins the favourite contest hands down. (I have to keep reminding myself sometimes that boardies aren't the typical J! viewing audience, at least not from what I've gathered ... )

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I see Clue Crew member Sarah has gotten married.

It says "First Ever Military Week". Didn't they have one not long after 9/11? If I was in the military, I'd rather be a regular player. first, you have a chance to win more money than whatever you could get in one show. Also, no matter how well I do, I'd have the stigma of only beating people from a limited pool, not the collection of all contestants.

I'm assuming since they call it Military Week, it won't be a regular tournament.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There was an Armed Forces Week in June/July 1999. Fifteen people played a single game, and the winner with the highest total got double that amount of money.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
They spelled favourite incorrectly. ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:I see Clue Crew member Sarah has gotten married.
Dang it. And she was smiling so nicely at me when that picture was taken ...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:There was an Armed Forces Week in June/July 1999. Fifteen people played a single game, and the winner with the highest total got double that amount of money.
Wow, sorry I missed that.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Vanya wrote:
seaborgium wrote:There was an Armed Forces Week in June/July 1999. Fifteen people played a single game, and the winner with the highest total got double that amount of money.
Wow, sorry I missed that.
haha... It wasn't like a Hyper-Super-Jeopardy with fifteen people on stage. It was like Kids' Week -- five independent games of three players each.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With the new season starting Monday, is it too early to discuss the next ToC? We have only six contestants with 4+ wins. What are the chances that someone with only 3 wins will be competing in the ToC? If the next ToC is aired in February 2013, I would guess that it would be taped in December 2012. How many new shows (excluding Teachers Tournament and any other specials) will be aired before the next ToC is taped? Fifty? Sixty?
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Frank Hardy wrote:With the new season starting Monday, is it too early to discuss the next ToC? We have only six contestants with 4+ wins. What are the chances that someone with only 3 wins will be competing in the ToC? If the next ToC is aired in February 2013, I would guess that it would be taped in December 2012. How many new shows (excluding Teachers Tournament and any other specials) will be aired before the next ToC is taped? Fifty? Sixty?
I suppose the Military week would be sometime in the time before Kids week, so that's not going to be a tournament.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Bump.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Bump.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Since the TOC is apparently airing in February, can anyone proffer any guesses as to when it might be taping?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:Since the TOC is apparently airing in February, can anyone proffer any guesses as to when it might be taping?
Only two other ToCs have taken place in February, back in Seasons 14 and 15. The 1998 ToC taped on January 13-14 and aired February 2-13, while the 1999 ToC taped on January 5-6 and aired February 8-19.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

TPTB hinted to me that it would be FILMING in February, not airing in Feb. But I haven't heard anything solid yet.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I think it's airing in mid/late February. I taped in late October and one of the games taped that day is the first one back after the Tournament of Champions.