2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by Dr. J » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Considering my interest in tiaras, Dave Leach has suggested that we make this year's TOC a black-tie affair -- who's with us? I need to know if I should pack my gown...


I'm down. However, the fact that it will air before six in some places and after six in others will raise questions of whether the gentlemen should be wearing morning coats or dinner jackets.


Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 1864
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by StevenH » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Dr. J wrote:Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)


There are also two Jasons and two Patricks. If the field remains unchanged then setting up matches could be tough for TPTB.

dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: Candler Park, Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by dmleach » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Dr. J wrote:Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)

Maybe a fez. Fezzes are cool.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 6319
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm

dmleach wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)

Maybe a fez. Fezzes are cool.


There is a place where many smart people wear the fez: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pubquiz

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6711
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by econgator » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:57 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
dmleach wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)

Maybe a fez. Fezzes are cool.


There is a place where many smart people wear the fez: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pubquiz


Not as cool as this:


User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by alietr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:22 am

Maybe HBomb will bring all of us back fezzes from Turkey.

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by Austin Powers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 am

It's a shame Kris likely won't make it, because his blazing buzzer speed would have been an interesting variable in the TOC. Doubt he would have won it, but an upset would have been very possible.

User avatar
sarahbree
Contributor
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by sarahbree » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 pm

OOOO yes, yes, YES to fezzes! I will be wearing my tiara while I watch, I love the black tie idea, but Husband is not so much on board...it will take a little more persuasion, methinks... ;)

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4035
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:17 am

I'm all in favor of the TOC competitors agreeing to make it a black-tie affair, but on one very important condition. They need to make sure that one player is kept out of the loop, and therefore shows up woefully underdressed. Or conversely, 14 of the 15 competitors convince the other to show up in a tuxedo, with the promise that everyone else is planning to do the same. While 15 players in their finest attire would be cool to see, much more humor could be derived from either 1 or 14 contestants being dressed to the nines. :mrgreen:

JoshuaSianturi
Contributor
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 am

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by JoshuaSianturi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

StevenH wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)


There are also two Jasons and two Patricks. If the field remains unchanged then setting up matches could be tough for TPTB.

what does TPTB stands for

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 4914
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by alietr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

The Powers That Be.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 6319
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 am

JoshuaSianturi wrote:
StevenH wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)


There are also two Jasons and two Patricks. If the field remains unchanged then setting up matches could be tough for TPTB.

what does TPTB stands for


"The powers that be" or those who make controlling decisions about the show.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 7924
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by dhkendall » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Agailn, The Glossary.

We really need a bigger link to that.

Hey, Andy, do the new members get some kind of welcome email detailing the rules of the board, how to send PMs, not to at all expect an initiation rite involving paddles, Wesson Oil, and a llama, and that kind of thing? Because if we do, we should add something about the glossary in there to give them a heads up so that we don't get asked all the time. If we don't, would it be feasible to give a welcome email whenever someone joins?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by ThreeIfByAir » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm

JFanForever wrote:Recently, I've seen a string of a few champions, specifically Alistair and Kris, who, I thought, had potential for the Tournament but yet both are out.


Susan too, IMHO, though her wagering strategies left, ahem, something to be desired. (Insert mandatory Nichole self-Clavining reference here... it turns out she's a friend of a friend of mine.)

With that said, if my wagering strategies had been better in my first game, I'd be on a plane to LA this time next week as first alternate, at least as the standings are today. (But I suspect that spot may get usurped by Ashok -- we'll have to see tonight.)

User avatar
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Location: Germantown, MD

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by jfrumkin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 pm

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
JFanForever wrote:Recently, I've seen a string of a few champions, specifically Alistair and Kris, who, I thought, had potential for the Tournament but yet both are out.


Susan too, IMHO, though her wagering strategies left, ahem, something to be desired. (Insert mandatory Nichole self-Clavining reference here... it turns out she's a friend of a friend of mine.)

With that said, if my wagering strategies had been better in my first game, I'd be on a plane to LA this time next week as first alternate, at least as the standings are today. (But I suspect that spot may get usurped by Ashok -- we'll have to see tonight.)


I won enough that if I had gotten the FJ I lost on and then still lost to Alistair the next night (the world will never know how that would have gone :D ), I'd be in the first alternate spot. I'm sure there are plenty of two-time champions that could say the same thing (or three-time, or one-time, or people who barely lost, and so on), so I've tried not to play the what-ifs too much.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Ashok's fourth win on tonight's episode puts Francis Lansangan out of the TofC running and leaves only Patrick Morrison among three time champs still eligible without about three weeks of regular games to go before the Teen Tourney which is followed by the TofC.

PatMorrison
Contributor
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by PatMorrison » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 pm

legendneverdies wrote:Ashok's fourth win on tonight's episode puts Francis Lansangan out of the TofC running and leaves only Patrick Morrison among three time champs still eligible without about three weeks of regular games to go before the Teen Tourney which is followed by the TofC.


Oh so very very close ;)

abaggarly
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by abaggarly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Sportswriter misses "sports" question in FJ that probably would've gotten him into the TOC...

This might be a good time to mention that I HATE trampolines!

Good luck to everyone in the field. I'll enjoy every minute, as always.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3030
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by Woof » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:15 pm

abaggarly wrote:Sportswriter misses "sports" question in FJ that probably would've gotten him into the TOC...

This might be a good time to mention that I HATE trampolines!

Good luck to everyone in the field. I'll enjoy every minute, as always.


Hey, Andrew! Too bad about the TOC, but I love your writing on the Gints, even though your book about the magical '10 WS directly competed with one written by a dear friend of mine. Any plans for a book on the '12 WS?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4354
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by seaborgium » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 pm

I find it interesting that none of the four-time champs have totals that would have made the cut for the last ToC. (Buddy Wright, with $88k over four wins, was #15 in 2011.)

Phillip Steele, Faith Love, Meredith Robbins, Sara Heard, Paul Wampler, and Anthony Fox are the only ones of the 43 post-doubling 4xers (I think I count correctly) not to make a ToC. Phillip, Faith, Meredith, and Anthony are the lowest earning 4xers (who lost their fifth games) since 2001 and couldn't have made any post-doubling ToC whose last qualifier was a 4xer, but Sara and Paul have the misfortune of their games occurring during the qualification period of the one ToC since 2001 that their scores weren't good enough for.


And now, with three regular games remaining for the ToC, a new champ crowned last night, and a four-win minimum for participating in this one, we can consider the field set; the most that could happen now is a 4x champ being held over until after the ToC is over.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bomtr, boson, davey, Google [Bot] and 13 guests