Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6263, 2011-12-07

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Bernstein, a social worker from St. Louis, Missouri
Tony Hightower, an event planner from Astoria, New York
Julia Kozicki, an attorney from Noblesville, Indiana (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Julia is our new champion. She replaces a talented young lady named Bhibha Das, who left us yesterday and who had indicated that she wanted someday to replace me as the host of Jeopardy! Well, a couple of moments ago, just before we came on the air, I overheard Tony here saying that he wants to replace me as the host of Jeopardy!

Tony: Well...

Alex: Good to have you with us today, Tony, and you, too, Jennifer. And good luck to all three of you as we put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for you. First off, we have...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'M ON STRIKE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LET ME CALL YOUR ATTENTION... (4/5)
TIME FOR A CHANGE (5/5)
"HALF" BAKED (5/5)
HEADS IN THE HEAVENS (5/5)
ONE-WORD TV CLUES (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the show most associated with that word.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tony: 14 R, 0 W
Jennifer: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tony: $5,200
Jennifer: $2,200
Julia: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennifer Bernstein is a social worker from St. Louis, Missouri. And it says here that Abraham Zapruder bought the camera and film used to document the Kennedy assassination where?

Jennifer: Yes, at my grandfather's camera store, he actually bought the camera and the film, so...

Alex: Wow.

Alex: All right, Tony Hightower is an event planner from Astoria, New York. He's also a cocktail enthusiast. My son recently took a bartender's course, so I keep hearing all of these different cocktail names.

Tony: Ah, yes.

Alex: And I don't know what goes into them. How conversant are you with cocktails?

Tony: Well, uh, I do a cocktail blog with--with, uh, my friend Sam. Hi, Sam. Um, uh, we do it--it's, uh, Cocktailians. And he is the alchemist of--of kind of the two of us, and I'm more kind of the--the loud person that kind of drags him into things.

Alex: Do you guys ever work together to try to create a new cocktail?

Tony: All the time.

Alex: Yeah?

Tony: And once a week, we--we make a point--it's called Mixology Monday, and we try to--we try to put something new up, uh, on the site, a brand-new cocktail named after something current or something relevant or not relevant.

Alex: Okay.

Tony: Yeah!

Alex: Good for you.

Tony: Thanks.

Alex: Julia Kozicki is our champion. Her first name is Julia, but in her family, every member of the family, including pets, have a name that starts with the letter "J," correct?

Julia: It's true. My husband is Jeff. Our sons are J.D. and Josh. Our dog is Jazz. My husband said, "I don't want to use 'J' names", because his sisters are Janet and Julie, and my brother is Jay. But we got to Josh, and I just--that was the name I wanted, and so we have "J" names.

Alex: Okay.

Julia: Which is why I'm on Jeopardy! [Laughs]

Tony: Right on.

[Applause]

Alex: If her name was Wanda, she'd be on Wheel with Pat.

Julia: Oh!

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Julia had $1,800, Tony had $7,400, and Jennifer was at $4,000. Jennifer wagered $1,000.

I'M ON STRIKE $400: Declaring "there is no right to strike against the public safety", Mass. governor Coolidge broke a 1919 strike by them
(Jennifer: Who are dockworkers?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET ME CALL YOUR ATTENTION... $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) In the Caravaggio painting, Jesus is summoning this man, who is wondering why a humble tax collector is being called
(Julia: Who is Zacchaeus?)

I'M ON STRIKE $1000: Railway workers' salaries were cut but rents in the company towns were not, bringing on this strike in 1894

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tony: $7,400
Jennifer: $3,800
Julia: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLUE: THE SHAKESPEARE VERSION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EYE TUNES (5/5)
DON'T GO IN THE WATER (2/5)
OBSTACLE COURSES (2/3)
URBAN DICTIONARY LINGO (5/5)
IT'S A "MAD" WORLD (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tony: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: 6 R, 1 W
Julia: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Julia had $6,800, Tony had $11,400, and Jennifer was at $6,600. Julia wagered $5,000.

CLUE: THE SHAKESPEARE VERSION $1200: It was Hamlet, in the Queen's chamber, stabbing this man through a curtain

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tony who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Julia had $9,800, Tony had $13,800, and Jennifer was at $8,200. Tony wagered $3,000.

IT'S A "MAD" WORLD $1600: The volcanic soil of this Atlantic island helps give a distinctive rich flavor to the fortified wine named for it
(Tony: Oh, jeez. Um... what is... Majorca?)
(Alex: See, you're an expert in cocktails, not wine.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Tony.)
(Tony: My bad!)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DON'T GO IN THE WATER $800: It's no surprise that this fish, a relative of the puffer, is named for a prickly rodent
(Julia: What's a hedgehog?)

DON'T GO IN THE WATER $1600: The scary guy seen here gets this holy 8-letter name from the cowled appearance of its head
(Julia: What's a stingray?)

DON'T GO IN THE WATER $2000: Like the type of snake it's named for, which includes moccasins, this fish has serious fangs
(Alex: Scary looking, isn't it?)

OBSTACLE COURSES $1200: University of Ostrava:
"Limits of Development in China and" this country
(Julia: What's Russia?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tony: $11,600
Julia: $10,600
Jennifer: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTING EVENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Tony: Wager $9,601 to cover Julia.
Julia: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Jennifer, hoping that you give the correct response and Tony doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,601 to cover Jennifer's doubled score, but no more than $8,600 if you want to top Tony on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Tony and Jennifer miss Final.
Jennifer: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $4,600. This will top a $0 wager by Julia while still beating Tony and Julia on the Triple Stumper (should Tony wager to cover Julia's doubled score and Julia wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The cup presented since 1887 to the man who wins this is inscribed "single handed champion of the world"

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $8,600 - $8,599 = $1 (What is the Chess World Championship?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julia: $10,600 - $10,000 = $600 (What is the Wimble U S Open?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Tony: $11,600 + $9,700 = $21,300 (What is Wimbledon?) (New champion: $21,300)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tony: $14,600, 23 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: $9,600, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: $6,800, 13 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $31,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Tony: 24/59 = .407
Jennifer: 14/59 = .237
Julia: 13/59 = .220
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LET ME CALL YOUR ATTENTION... $600: Where the cupcake is in the picture; it's also a 10-letter verb meaning to make something your dominant subject

TIME FOR A CHANGE $800: In 1981 the Nissan company dropped this name under which it had sold its cars in the United States
(Tony: What is a [*]?)

I'M ON STRIKE $800: An early battle for this union formed in 1962 was when grape pickers went on strike for the minimum wage
(Jennifer: What are farm workers?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

DON'T GO IN THE WATER $400: On New Guinea, the pacu, seen here, which is in the same family as this South American fish, may have given up vegetarianism to be a river monster
(Alex: With the first clue, I'm going to read it, but here's a clip from the Animal Planet series called River Monsters.)

EYE TUNES $1600: A 2011 commercial for Pretzel M&Ms used this song from the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack
(Jennifer: What is "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life"?)

URBAN DICTIONARY LINGO $1600: "Froday" is the day you realize you need one of these
(Alex: [Laughing, in observance of Tony's shaved-bald head] I'm not saying anything!)
(Tony: You don't have to say it, I already know.)

CLUE: THE SHAKESPEARE VERSION $1600: It was this Thane of Fife, with a sword, on the battlefield, who killed Macbeth
(Tony: Who is Duncan?)

CLUE: THE SHAKESPEARE VERSION $2000: It was Romeo, in a public place, with a sword, killing this relative of Juliet
(Julia: Who is Paris?)
(Alex: [To Tony] And with that, you regain the lead by a margin of $400. You've reversed the situation that we had just one minute ago. Select.)
(Tony: Crazy, isn't it!)
[Laughter]

DON'T GO IN THE WATER $1200: Giant isopods, which feed on the deep ocean floor, are members of this subphylum that also includes shrimp & crabs

IT'S A "MAD" WORLD $2000: Have a tea cake & remember this French name of a group of islands in the Gulf of St. Lawrence
(Julia: What's a [*]?)
(Alex: Yes, Îles de la [*].)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the police
Saint Matthew
the Pullman strike
Polonius
Madeira
a porcupinefish
a monkfish
a viperfish
India
Wimbledon (the men's singles championship)
the foreground
Datsun
United Farm Workers
a piranha
"Hungry Eyes"
a haircut
Macduff
Tybalt
crustaceans
Madeleine
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DWS »

I was glad that Tony won -- it was entertaining to watch him play. The Urban Dictionary category in the DJ round was fun.

To solve FJ I brainstormed sports in which something can be used single-handed, which quickly brought tennis to mind. I knew that Wimbledon was an old tournament, probably dating to the late 1800s, and that the trophy is a cup, so I decided to go with it. My thought process probably took about 5-10 seconds.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

Do I recognize Tony from some trivia-related thing? If not, does he remind me of someone? I couldn't shake this feeling that I recognized him the whole show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MFalk wrote:Do I recognize Tony from some trivia-related thing? If not, does he remind me of someone? I couldn't shake this feeling that I recognized him the whole show.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure I've heard his name ... ummm ... elsewhere.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I really dug these boards today...it's not often that I sweep 3 categories in one game. (Eye Tunes, One Word TV, and Clue: Shakespeare Edition...the Polonius clue was particularly rewarding to get as I once played him in an AP English video project. I'm one of the worst actors in the world, but all I do was dramatically croak, "Oh, I am slain!" and fall to the floor, so it was a pretty cushy gig. :D) I loved the Urban Dictionary category, but I think I barely scraped a 1/5 in it...now that I just turned 20, maybe I'm older than I thought? :)

A well-earned win for Tony today. I really liked his enthusiastic attitude, and he fought hard.

I was going for golf at first during FJ (after realizing pretty quickly it of course uses two hands, I was trying to think of some one-handed golf tournament I've heard of), but then thought of Wimbledon, the time frame seemed right, and I checked to make sure it was indeed a single-handed sport. Simple enough.

I remember during the ToC, Roger Craig noted on Twitter that the clapping for one of the contestant interviews (I don't remember precisely whose, but I think it might have been Joon's?) was most likely a first, or at least a rarity (aside from celebrity games). Interesting to see it pop up again, this time for Julia's "Jeopardy!" remark. :)
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Tony reminded me of Hank Azaria, both in looks and voice. I agree, he is very entertaining. Maybe he will take Alex's job someday...
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

I don't think "single handed" as used in final means using one hand. It means "as an individual". Lots of people play various tennis strokes with two hands. I thought of the Whitbread Singlehanded sailing race, so that was my incorrect answer.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

debramc wrote:Tony reminded me of Hank Azaria, both in looks and voice. I agree, he is very entertaining. Maybe he will take Alex's job someday...
I also had the Hank Azaria vibe.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote:
MFalk wrote:Do I recognize Tony from some trivia-related thing? If not, does he remind me of someone? I couldn't shake this feeling that I recognized him the whole show.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure I've heard his name ... ummm ... elsewhere.
He was on Cash Cab once, and the "Events" he "plans" are weekly Pub Trivia games, etc. Like many others this side of the East Coast, I met him at TCONA this year. Real nice guy.

-M
I'm not being "whooshed," am I?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Freaking WTVD... can someone please tell me what the first clue of the game was and spoilerize the correct response? I'd much appreciate it.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Freaking WTVD... can someone please tell me what the first clue of the game was and spoilerize the correct response? I'd much appreciate it.
This is entirely from memory, but I think I remember most of it ;) :

ONE-WORD TV CLUES for $200
Tribbles
Spoiler
What is Star Trek?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

So I wouldn't have known it anyway... but still, now my score is complete. Many thanks, sir! :)

I might need similar assistance in the coming days. WTVD does this food drive every year... which is a good cause, of course. I just don't know why they have to wipe out the first two minutes of Jeopardy for it. :roll:
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Congrats, Tony! Not promoting the trivia biz on J!? What gives? Hopefully you'll be able to work it into a contestant chat.

I'm happy for you that you dodged the bullet of facing Rich. (Not that you wouldn't have beaten him, but in my estimation it would have been a tougher draw.)
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

I had the same feeling of familiarity with Tony, so Googled him and discovered that he moved to NYC from Toronto in 1999. I think we might have been at the University of Toronto together. Perhaps he'll work that into a contestant chat... Charming personality, could definitely see him as host of a more jaunty version of Jeopardy (although Alex was quick with the wit on Wanda...Wheel of Fortune)

Entertaining, suspenseful game. If Julia doesn't miss the last question (which it didn't appear she was going to buzz in for), and then doesn't change her mind on the FJ answer, she's a repeat.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
econgator wrote:
He was on Cash Cab once, and the "Events" he "plans" are weekly Pub Trivia games, etc. Like many others this side of the East Coast, I met him at TCONA this year. Real nice guy.
In fact, I should have mentioned that he auditioned for the show at TCONA. So do come out for next year's event, won't you?

-M
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Way to go, Tony! Fun to watch, too, though I still miss Bhibha :lol: Interesting FJ tonight, which I took a flyer on and got right. Yes, the "single-handed" double entendre is quite interesting in this instance.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I knew one place where Tony's name was familiar: http://sites.google.com/site/iqausa/ #101

The game hit me well with 25 & 22 for 47/58

I was already over my head with 4/4 in Shakespeare and I tried Paris to attempt the run when Tybalt was my second guess. $2000 is not the spot to guess a known name in the play with no knowledge to back it up, but I couldn't resist.

The players had what I call a litmus TS. No one knew the Pullman strike? That equals no TOC player on stage. I can always be proven wrong on such clues, but I have snap judgments on those types.

Some J! contestants are perfect for the show but perhaps no other show. Tony would be castable (is that a word?) on many shows. It's nice to give the call to a good player, but it's probably just as satisfying to the CCs to give the call to a good contestant.

Sporting Events is my kind of FJ category, but the clue was no gimme for me. I considered the America's Cup, had to get get arm wrestling out of my head, and I was also distracted by picturing the plate the women hold up at Wimbledon. By 10 seconds I had it all worked out to lock in Wimbledon and serve out #14 in a row.

I enjoyed the One-Word TV clues and I wonder how a whole board of such clues would play? Perhaps I'll give it a try someday. ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My thought process on FJ.....the Olympics were in 1896, forget them...arm wrestling, no....Wimbledon!!!!!

I got a chuckle after Julia's interview that the only non-J player won. I can relate to her story. My mother-in-law is one of eight children and all have names tarting with B.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Sporting Events
The cup presented since 1887 to the man who wins this is inscribed "Single Handed Champion of the World".
Spoiler
What is Wimbledon? Jennifer said the Chess World Championship, and Julia crossed out Wimbledon and wrote the U.S. Open.
Tony Hightower: $11,600+$9,700=$21,300...now a 1-day champion with $21,300
Julia Kozicki: $10,600=$10,000=$600
Jennifer Bernstein: $8,600-$8,599=$1