[TD 144] The Kodak Theater presents... The 144th Think Different!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: [TD 144] The Kodak Theater presents... The 144th Think Different!

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Don't the Marx Brothers qualify? This was one of the very few answers in this quiz I knew, as I remember one of Groucho's last public appearances before his death in 1977 was accepting the honourary Oscar on behalf of his brothers.
They were never nominated for a competitive award, so it wouldn't qualify.

As a side comment, that is by no means a comprehensive list, they were just the easiest for me to narrow down. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Would've saved myself 5 points had I stuck with Elaine Benes! But my answer was the only one I knew for sure hadn't hit the mark.
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

RandyG wrote:
Volante wrote: The English Patient ($78.7M) (2)[/b]
goforthetie
RandyG
15 years later the thought of this film still bores me to tears. I figured it had to be a correct answer.
I'm with Elaine Benes on this one. "JUST DIE ALREADY"
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

MarkBarrett wrote:Why the surprise for Driving Miss Daisy doing well at the box office? It's like The King's Speech where there were viewers who might have seen only one movie the whole year, but that was the one. It's a wonderful movie where the voters did the right thing.
I, and others, would disagree :)

Field of Dreams (7.6 > Driving Miss Daisy 7.4) (1)

I remember also thinking that Dead Poets Society and Born On The Fourth Of July were also both much better movies than DMD, though I haven't seen Born on the Fourth in 20 years and suspect it might not have "aged" especially well.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

billy pilgrim wrote:
RandyG wrote:
Volante wrote: The English Patient ($78.7M) (2)[/b]
goforthetie
RandyG
15 years later the thought of this film still bores me to tears. I figured it had to be a correct answer.
I'm with Elaine Benes on this one. "JUST DIE ALREADY"
I blush to admit it, but I actually liked The English Patient.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Totally read #5 wrong and thought it was asking for someone who'd never been nominated (and thus I rejoiced after I submitted when I looked it up and Eli Wallach fit that bill). And all I've heard is that "Brokeback Mountain" got robbed in the Best Picture race that year...why, IMdB voters, why?!?!? :evil:
Volante

Post by Volante »

barandall800 wrote:Totally read #5 wrong and thought it was asking for someone who'd never been nominated (and thus I rejoiced after I submitted when I looked it up and Eli Wallach fit that bill). And all I've heard is that "Brokeback Mountain" got robbed in the Best Picture race that year...why, IMdB voters, why?!?!? :evil:
It did. There's no logical explanation for Crash to be rated that high. Crash is just someone filming LA road rage for two hours (or however long its runtime is). (Although, IMO, Good Night and Good Luck was my pick of the five. And if you REALLY want to get into the nitty gritty, it should've been Sin City (but it wouldn't, because Robert Rodriguez and the DGA are at odds) or Lord of War)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

xxaaaxx wrote:I really need to study Academy Award history, even if just for laughs. Some of the names in that 'never won' question are borderline criminal. Not Oprah though. What the hell...
You haven't actually seen The Color Purple, have you?

-M
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I really need to study Academy Award history, even if just for laughs. Some of the names in that 'never won' question are borderline criminal. Not Oprah though. What the hell...

-M
Oh yes, that must be it. Thanks, really.

For the record, I didn't much care for The Color Purple. :shrug:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

xxaaaxx wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:

-M
Oh yes, that must be it. Thanks, really.

For the record, I didn't much care for The Color Purple. :shrug:
So what you're saying is, Oprah's performance in The Color Purple was not worthy of an Oscar nomination. Do I have that right?

-M
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: So what you're saying is, Oprah's performance in The Color Purple was not worthy of an Oscar nomination. Do I have that right?

-M
I don't really care. Insofar as I found the movie quite boring both times I watched it (12 years apart), I suppose not. The original comment was more a statement of how absurdly out of place her name seemed on that list. And my reply was mostly out of annoyance at the assumption that I hand't seen it.

Why? Does that bother you somehow?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

xxaaaxx wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: So what you're saying is, Oprah's performance in The Color Purple was not worthy of an Oscar nomination. Do I have that right?

-M
I don't really care. Insofar as I found the movie quite boring both times I watched it (12 years apart), I suppose not. The original comment was more a statement of how absurdly out of place her name seemed on that list. And my reply was mostly out of annoyance at the assumption that I hand't seen it.

No, I just like to make sure I'm understanding correctly what people are saying. I found her performance in that film quite moving.

-M
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Volante wrote:
barandall800 wrote:Totally read #5 wrong and thought it was asking for someone who'd never been nominated (and thus I rejoiced after I submitted when I looked it up and Eli Wallach fit that bill). And all I've heard is that "Brokeback Mountain" got robbed in the Best Picture race that year...why, IMdB voters, why?!?!? :evil:
It did. There's no logical explanation for Crash to be rated that high. Crash is just someone filming LA road rage for two hours (or however long its runtime is). (Although, IMO, Good Night and Good Luck was my pick of the five. And if you REALLY want to get into the nitty gritty, it should've been Sin City (but it wouldn't, because Robert Rodriguez and the DGA are at odds) or Lord of War)
I finally got around to seeing "Good Night, and Good Luck" about a year or so ago, and it was terrific, so I'm with you there. (Random personal story: The jazz singer, Dianne Reeves, who contributes the songs to the soundtrack, and who briefly appears in the movie? I've seen her perform live, and even have a picture with her. Where, of course, my eyes are awkwardly closed while I'm smiling. :))
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:

-M

No, I just like to make sure I'm understanding correctly what people are saying. I found her performance in that film quite moving.

-M
She may have given the best individual performance of all time; I don't know, I didn't see it. But take a look at this list and tell me which one just doesn't belong:

Alfred Hitchcock
Peter O'Toole
Blake Edwards
Cary Grant
Judy Garland
Kirk Douglas
Robert Altman
Fred Astaire
Maurice Chevalier
Gene Kelly
Mickey Rooney
James Earl Jones
Lauren Bacall
Greta Garbo
Deborah Kerr
Barbara Stanwyck
Oprah Winfrey
George Lucas
Sidney Lumet
King Vidor
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

Volante wrote:
That was also the year of History of Violence, no? That Crash was nominated (let alone won), or that Munich was nominated (or, for that matter, ever made), is infuriating. On a side note, though, what a great year for documentaries--the five nominees were March of the Penguins, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Murderball, Street Fight, and Darwin's Nightmare. I don't know the last one, but as for the other four, that's a pretty impressive year.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woppy T wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: No, I just like to make sure I'm understanding correctly what people are saying. I found her performance in that film quite moving.

-M
She may have given the best individual performance of all time; I don't know, I didn't see it. But take a look at this list and tell me which one just doesn't belong:

Alfred Hitchcock
Peter O'Toole
Blake Edwards
Cary Grant
Judy Garland
Kirk Douglas
Robert Altman
Fred Astaire
Maurice Chevalier
Gene Kelly
Mickey Rooney
James Earl Jones
Lauren Bacall
Greta Garbo
Deborah Kerr
Barbara Stanwyck
Oprah Winfrey
George Lucas
Sidney Lumet
King Vidor
I'm no good with list questions. Give me a hint.

-M
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I'm picking George Lucas.
Volante

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote:I'm picking George Lucas.
Second.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Nominated for Best Post of the Year.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote:
Second.
Point taken, given the recent films. But at least he is IN THE MOVIES, unlike Ms. Winfrey.