Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Re: Random Questions

Post by Lumosityfan »

Mathew5000 wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:I just wanted to say (although I don't know whether they changed this for the other tournaments) that for our tournament, Maggie said that they changed the rules when it came to triple-zero outcomes. If the repeat of the second semifinal of last year's Teen Tournament occurs, the three players would play a tiebreaker clue instead.
That's really interesting.

Just to clarify, have they changed the rule for triple-0 final scores in quarter-final games as well? Or just semi-final games?

Presumably the rule change applies to all tournaments, not just the teen tournament.
I think it may be the rule for all games where there can be a triple zero game. I think.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:I hope they checked with bpmod before they made this change. He was pretty adamant last year that you cannot win a game of Jeopardy! with a score of $0. :mrgreen:
You may not recall that I made that assertion under the rules as they stood on that day. They can change the rules as they see fit (although I do believe it is a stupid change) as it is their game to change.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I hope they checked with bpmod before they made this change. He was pretty adamant last year that you cannot win a game of Jeopardy! with a score of $0. :mrgreen:
You may not recall that I made that assertion under the rules as they stood on that day. They can change the rules as they see fit (although I do believe it is a stupid change) as it is their game to change.

Brian
In the UTOC, Maggie was clear that there HAD to be a winner in each game, even with $0 – probably because there were no wild cards available at any point.

There are really only three pre-Final situations in which a triple-zero is feasible: a three-way tie, a two-way tie with third ≤ $0, or a two-way tie with third = 1/2 of the tied score.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My problem with the way they handled the triple zero game last year is that the players in the third semifinal had a huge advantage in getting a wild card over those in the first semifinal. They should have just locked them away until their game was played like they do in the semifinal.

I'm on the fence about the new rule. On one hand, it would suck to be in a three way tie going into FJ and then hit a tough FJ that is a TS. But on the other hand, the players last year just made bad bets on their own. I wish Keith's video series had existed then.

Though it is rare, I hope this rule does not extend to regular play games.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:My problem with the way they handled the triple zero game last year is that the players in the third semifinal had a huge advantage in getting a wild card over those in the first semifinal. They should have just locked them away until their game was played like they do in the semifinal.
I'm not posting to disagree with you, but the way those semis played out, that advantage proved moot (which I was pleased about). All three players in SF3 entered FJ with a higher score than SF1's second-place player (Irene Vasquez) had entering her FJ. SF3's FJ was a triple get, and Irene missed hers, so she wouldn't have made the cut even if she'd played after the triple zero.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:My problem with the way they handled the triple zero game last year is that the players in the third semifinal had a huge advantage in getting a wild card over those in the first semifinal. They should have just locked them away until their game was played like they do in the semifinal.
I'm not posting to disagree with you, but the way those semis played out, that advantage proved moot (which I was pleased about). All three players in SF3 entered FJ with a higher score than SF1's second-place player (Irene Vasquez) had entering her FJ. SF3's FJ was a triple get, and Irene missed hers, so she wouldn't have made the cut even if she'd played after the triple zero.
Oh, I understand it wound up not really mattering, but the scores could have fallen various ways that would dramatically alter how FJ wagering went.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Bamaman wrote:Though it is rare, I hope this rule does not extend to regular play games.
If the rule change applied to regular-play games, unless it was made the only time a tiebreaker can happen in such a game, then we'd have co-champions as with ties at any other score (it'd be weird for a player to be announced to have a total of $0).
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

GoodStrategy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Though it is rare, I hope this rule does not extend to regular play games.
If the rule change applied to regular-play games, unless it was made the only time a tiebreaker can happen in such a game, then we'd have co-champions as with ties at any other score (it'd be weird for a player to be announced to have a total of $0).
Press Your LUck bought all three players back twice because of a three-way tie on zero(all three players Whammied on their last spin and all had less than four WHammies), and a few others won the game with $0 dollars because others Whammied out of the game.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I think you are more likely to see TPTB eliminate ties, particularly if the trend we saw the final two weeks of the season takes hold.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Vermonter wrote:
I think you are more likely to see TPTB eliminate ties, particularly if the trend we saw the final two weeks of the season takes hold.
If that ends up happening then your suggestion of wagering to tie will be of historical interest only. (Another case I've thought they may do is make it where tied contestants "share" the cash. In other words if there are two co-champions each finishing with a score of $20,000 then instead of both getting the full amount that $20,000 is split between the two so each gets $10,000. That would discourage ties but still make them a rational possibility in certain scenarios.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I am wondering, since they redesigned the set I think a few seasons ago, they don't have the FJ category and question on the "big screen" any more - at least not from our perspective. However, from watching the shows, it still seems apparent that the contestants are looking ahead at the big board while they ponder FJ, is the category there as well? (I'm guessing so, but since I"m making an assumption on the other part ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was in the first episode with the new screen; I can tell you they still show the category on the big board.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

i thought it was pretty obvious during the pan at the start of FJ! that the category and clue are still on the big board.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:The news about Jesse Jackson Jr. resigning had me thinking about controversial/notorious Jeopardy! players. Who else goes on the list?

Barbara Lowe
Doak Fairey
Jeff Kirby

I'll leave it others to add the power player types known to be too liberal or too conservative that could be included.
Here's one more to add to the list: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5064 with Claire Ogilvie

http://www.wcvb.com/news/former-game-sh ... 22#!bHyVdW

I don't like her chances to get the WOF trifecta.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The news about Jesse Jackson Jr. resigning had me thinking about controversial/notorious Jeopardy! players. Who else goes on the list?

Barbara Lowe
Doak Fairey
Jeff Kirby

I'll leave it others to add the power player types known to be too liberal or too conservative that could be included.
This is rather sad: a Canadian lawyer who played in the first game with doubled clue values (Nov. 26, 2001), later was accused of impropriety in administering a trust related to the McMichael Canadian Art Collection. He was subject to various court orders requiring him to repay about $1.1-million in total, when he died suddenly in 2011:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/10/08 ... ael-trust/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... cle565389/
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/02 ... _cash.html
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm guessing any player that gets into politics at all could be considered "controversial" depending on your politics.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Season 14 1-time champ CHad Pridgen did some inappropriate things with students at Camarillo High and got a 10 year sentence in 2003, as per a web search.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This recent discussion shows that just because you've been on Jeopardy! doesn't mean you are smart. You can be incredibly, mind-numingly stupid and still be on Jeopardy!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:Season 14 1-time champ CHad Pridgen did some inappropriate things with students at Camarillo High and got a 10 year sentence in 2003, as per a web search.
BTW, the Archive shows Chad wasn't a champ, came in third in his game.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: You can be incredibly, mind-numingly stupid and still be on Jeopardy!
So there is hope for me.