Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I don't think I've seen this come up: Does anyone know whether the Jeopardy! staff works just the Tuesday and Wednesday of taping?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I don't think I've seen this come up: Does anyone know whether the Jeopardy! staff works just the Tuesday and Wednesday of taping?
I believe that much of the same staff (camera, even I think makeup) also work Wheel, who tape two other days (Thursday and Friday?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

dhkendall wrote:I believe that much of the same staff (camera, even I think makeup) also work Wheel, who tape two other days (Thursday and Friday?)
There are 208 individuals listed in the Production Credits on the Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune sites, but only 35 are credited for both shows:

Code: Select all

Adam McKinney - Production Coordinator [J] / Post Production [W]
Annette Dimatos-Schwartz - Marketing & Advertising Producer
             Beth Bailey - Post Production
               Bob Sofia - Coordinating Producer
            Brad Burgoon - Key Grip [J] / Best Boy [W]
           Brian McElroy - Gaffer
      Chloe Corwin Britt - Booth PA Technical & Staging Coordinator [J] / Production Staff [W]
           Christy Myers - Travel Coordinator [J] / Production Staff [W]
             Cole Coonce - Audio [J] / Audio Mixer [W]
            Gary Taillon - Video
          Harry Friedman - Executive Producer [also a Writer on J]
        Heather DeCristo - Set Decorator
   Heather Lynne Rasnick - Set Decorator
           Jeff Schuster - Cameras
           Jeff Schwartz - Property Master
       Jennifer Haugland - Clearance Coordinator
         John Lauderdale - Stage Manager
             June Curtis - Associate Producer [J] / Stage Operations Supervisor [W]
         Keith Fernandes - Post Production
           Kelli Cardona - Post Production Supervisor
          L. David Irete - Associate Director
                Lisa Dee - Promotions & Marketing Producer
     Michele Lee Hampton - Game Board Operator [J] / Electronic Graphics [W]
              Phil Wayne - Wardrobe
             Randy Berke - Senior Production Supervisor [J] / Line Producer [W]
            Ray Reynolds - Cameras
       Robert Ennis, Jr. - Technical Director
            Sandy Reimer - Make-Up
           Sean Sasahara - Music Supervisor
       Shannon White Lee - Senior Clearance Coordinator
  Shelley Ballance Ellis - Executive Director Clearance & Licensing
     Stacy Oki-Skredsvig - Clearance Coordinator
          Suzy Rosenberg - Publicity & Promotions Producer
            Tracey Glynn - Post Production
          Yvette Sapanza - Assistant to the Executive Producer
This list on IMDb may contain a few people who used to work on both shows.

And yes, Wheel tapes on Thursday and Friday.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cheezguyty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I believe that much of the same staff (camera, even I think makeup) also work Wheel, who tape two other days (Thursday and Friday?)
There are 208 individuals listed in the Production Credits on the Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune sites, but only 35 are credited for both shows
But there does seem to be a lot of staff overlap where the set is concerned: cameras, A/V, makeup, wardrobe, gaffers, set decoration...so that theory seems to pan out.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I don't think I've seen this come up: Does anyone know whether the Jeopardy! staff works just the Tuesday and Wednesday of taping?
Depends on who you are referring to as "staff." Some of the makeup artists do other shows (one my day worked on Dancing with the Stars!). But certainly the contestant coordinators (Maggie, Robert, Glenn, Corinna) work only on Jeopardy and have other tasks when not taping. John Lauderdale (stage manager extraordinaire!) is only credited on IMDB with Jeopardy and a few special Wheels, so it looks like his only job -- nice gig!!
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Dr. J wrote:
Depends on who you are referring to as "staff."
I didn't mean anyone that works on the set itself. :)
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

I think this was addressed a bit earlier in the thread, but can any past TOC folks speak to the lag time between the taping and airing of the TOC? I would think TPTB would want a shorter time so there isn't as much potential for spoiling a championship outcome.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Dr. J wrote:
Depends on who you are referring to as "staff." Some of the makeup artists do other shows (one my day worked on Dancing with the Stars!). But certainly the contestant coordinators (Maggie, Robert, Glenn, Corinna) work only on Jeopardy and have other tasks when not taping. John Lauderdale (stage manager extraordinaire!) is only credited on IMDB with Jeopardy and a few special Wheels, so it looks like his only job -- nice gig!!
John Lauderdale worked on the Wheel of Fortune pilot in 1973, so he's been in the biz four decades. Ditto Harry Friedman and the MIA this season Gary Johnson. I think Maggie Speak started her game show work in the 70s as a Dating Game chaperone, she was a contestant coordinator on Newlywed in the mid 80s.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

CoachP wrote:I think this was addressed a bit earlier in the thread, but can any past TOC folks speak to the lag time between the taping and airing of the TOC? I would think TPTB would want a shorter time so there isn't as much potential for spoiling a championship outcome.
Will a ToC spouse do? :lol: Last season's filmed the last week of September and started airing in early November.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'll add that ToC 2010 taped March 23-24, and aired May 10-21.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

legendneverdies wrote: John Lauderdale worked on the Wheel of Fortune pilot in 1973, so he's been in the biz four decades. Ditto Harry Friedman and the MIA this season Gary Johnson. I think Maggie Speak started her game show work in the 70s as a Dating Game chaperone, she was a contestant coordinator on Newlywed in the mid 80s.
Robert got his start in the business (and by the business, I mean the industry, if anyone gets that) working with the celebs on Hollywood Squares. He told us some great stories over lunch.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The 2004 ToC taped in late April 2004 (it was the last taping before the summer hiatus) and aired in September.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Come to think of it, I got The Call on a Monday.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Article (a, an, the): If you leave one out, I'm guessing that's okay (?). But what if you add one (thinking of
Spoiler
THE Lord of the Flies
last night).
Last edited by ACW on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote:Article (a, an, the): If you leave one out, I'm guessing that's okay (?). But what if you add one (thinking of *redacted* last night).
It's fine, unless a title also exists with the article (Invisible Man, The Invisible Man).
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

ACW wrote:Article (a, an, the): If you leave one out, I'm guessing that's okay (?). But what if you add one (thinking of
Spoiler
THE Lord of the Flies
last night).
I think this should probably be spoilerized in deference to those who haven't yet seen that game ...
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
earendel

Post by earendel »

Adding another "utterly random question" to this thread:

Is there a particular day/time that the J! staff makes the calls to those in the pool to inform them they've been chosen for the show?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They called me on a Monday, and I got back to them that Thursday. (Tuesdays and Wednesdays, being taping days, are pretty busy for them, so I don't know if they do a lot of calls those days.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:They called me on a Monday, and I got back to them that Thursday. (Tuesdays and Wednesdays, being taping days, are pretty busy for them, so I don't know if they do a lot of calls those days.)
Did you specifically wait until Thursday to call, knowing their schedule, or did you try Tuesday and Wednesday without success?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ACW

Post by ACW »

econgator wrote:
ACW wrote:Article (a, an, the): If you leave one out, I'm guessing that's okay (?). But what if you add one (thinking of *redacted* last night).
It's fine, unless a title also exists with the article (Invisible Man, The Invisible Man).
So in that case you could also get penalized for NOT having the article?