Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote:
econgator wrote:
ACW wrote:Article (a, an, the): If you leave one out, I'm guessing that's okay (?). But what if you add one (thinking of *redacted* last night).
It's fine, unless a title also exists with the article (Invisible Man, The Invisible Man).
So in that case you could also get penalized for NOT having the article?
Yes. If you refer to the H.G. Wells novel as "Invisible Man" or the Ralph Ellison novel as "The Invisible Man", then you will be counted wrong.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

They called me on a Monday, and I got back to them that Thursday. (Tuesdays and Wednesdays, being taping days, are pretty busy for them, so I don't know if they do a lot of calls those days.)
Just found my way to this board recently. They probably don't do a lot of calls on tape days, but it's not totally off-limits; I got my call on a Tuesday (around 11:15 Pacific Time).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:They called me on a Monday, and I got back to them that Thursday. (Tuesdays and Wednesdays, being taping days, are pretty busy for them, so I don't know if they do a lot of calls those days.)
Did you specifically wait until Thursday to call, knowing their schedule, or did you try Tuesday and Wednesday without success?
The latter. But if I recall correctly, it was two-way phone tag: I think Maggie did try to reach me in some small window of free time those days, but I was keeping odd hours due to working nights.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

econgator wrote: Yes. If you refer to the H.G. Wells novel as "Invisible Man" or the Ralph Ellison novel as "The Invisible Man", then you will be counted wrong.
Just curious, has this actually happened before?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
econgator wrote: Yes. If you refer to the H.G. Wells novel as "Invisible Man" or the Ralph Ellison novel as "The Invisible Man", then you will be counted wrong.
Just curious, has this actually happened before?
Not that I can find, but they allude to it in this clue: http://69.16.235.166/showgame.php?game_ ... isible+man (JEOPARDY! DRINKING GAMES, $1000)
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Random Questions

Post by ACW »

Why doesn't the Teachers' Tourney go Monday to Friday instead of Wed. to Tues.?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote:Why doesn't the Teachers' Tourney go Monday to Friday instead of Wed. to Tues.?
They've been doing this off and on for the past few seasons, airing some tournaments Wed through Tues instead of Monday through Friday. The presumed reason is that they want to get more viewers, and since Friday is typically the weeknight in which the fewest people watch television, it doesn't bode well for your ratings hopes to put the final game of a two week tournament on Friday night. I can understand this reasoning, but I still prefer the tournaments to run Monday through Friday like they have traditionally.

In this particular case, with Election Day on Tuesday the 6th and Thanksgiving on Thursday the 22nd, it made a lot of sense to have this Teachers Tournament run Wed through Tues, since Jeopardy! was preempted in much of the country for Election coverage, and probably draws some of its lowest viewing numbers of the year on Thanksgiving night. (I have no evidence of this, it just seems likely to me.)
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I have a vague memory of something unpleasant happening several years ago during a Teen Tournament. I think one contestant, a young man, wanted to alter his wager for FJ and was not permitted to do so. He was so angry that he did not appear on stage after the game was over. Whether this was voluntary or involuntary, I don't know. Am I right, or is this something I dreamed? I once asked this question on the official Sony board and it disappeared! :shock:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Frank Hardy wrote:I have a vague memory of something unpleasant happening several years ago during a Teen Tournament. I think one contestant, a young man, wanted to alter his wager for FJ and was not permitted to do so. He was so angry that he did not appear on stage after the game was over. Whether this was voluntary or involuntary, I don't know. Am I right, or is this something I dreamed? I once asked this question on the official Sony board and it disappeared! :shock:
The only thing I can tell you for sure is the question is not likely to disappear from here.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Frank Hardy wrote: I once asked this question on the official Sony board and it disappeared!
Ta DAAaaaaa !
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OH! The board disappeared. I thought he meant the post disappeared.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

:lol: Yes, I meant the post disappeared from the Sony board very quickly. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I suppose Thanksgiving ratings take a hit because it is pre-empted for football in a lot of places.

I hadn't heard that story before, Frank. We had a contestant on here recently that said they changed their bet several times. I think once you write it down on the screen, that should be it. Take all the time you want with pen and paper, but only one shot on the screen.

If you wanted to write your FJ wager in words, such as Five thousand three hundred one dollars, would they allow that? Or if you wrote $MMMMMCCCI?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Frank Hardy wrote:I have a vague memory of something unpleasant happening several years ago during a Teen Tournament. I think one contestant, a young man, wanted to alter his wager for FJ and was not permitted to do so. He was so angry that he did not appear on stage after the game was over. Whether this was voluntary or involuntary, I don't know. Am I right, or is this something I dreamed? I once asked this question on the official Sony board and it disappeared! :shock:
Oh, Frank, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that your asking that question coincided with the disappearance of the Sony board. Anyway, it's been back for a while now.

Hey, just for fun, go over there and ask again.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Bamaman wrote:If you wanted to write your FJ wager in words, such as Five thousand three hundred one dollars, would they allow that? Or if you wrote $MMMMMCCCI?
Maggie would look at your screen and watch you as you press the button to submit your wager. She would catch that and make you fix it.

Speaking of Maggie, I remember as my game was about to start, I was telling her that I was excited. I said that I was going to sing a song for Alex. She said, "No, no, you can't do that!" She was thinking that I was going to sing an actual song, and visions of royalties were dancing in her head. She calmed down once I told her it was an original song. :)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jeff6286 wrote:They've been doing this off and on for the past few seasons, airing some tournaments Wed through Tues instead of Monday through Friday.
It's mostly if not entirely "on" now -- the two February 2013 tournaments (the Teen Tournament and the ToC) will be Wednesday-through-Tuesday.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

trainman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:They've been doing this off and on for the past few seasons, airing some tournaments Wed through Tues instead of Monday through Friday.
It's mostly if not entirely "on" now -- the two February 2013 tournaments (the Teen Tournament and the ToC) will be Wednesday-through-Tuesday.
I know we had a list of the 2012-13 tournament schedule somewhere here on jboard, but I can't remember what the thread was called. Last year's was called Season 28 airdates, but I couldn't find the list for Season 29.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The news about Jesse Jackson Jr. resigning had me thinking about controversial/notorious Jeopardy! players. Who else goes on the list?

Barbara Lowe
Doak Fairey
Jeff Kirby

I'll leave it others to add the power player types known to be too liberal or too conservative that could be included.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

season 14 contestant Chad Pridgen 10/2/97 later pled guilty to child molestation at the high school he taught at at the time
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Doak Fairey
OK, this is clearly one of those times where I don't know nearly enough about something I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of (J! trivia - yet I freely acknowledge there are masters of that craft on this board), Doak who?

And for that matter, how does it connect to the Jackson "scandal"? (I put it in quotation marks because, after doing some Googling about this story I was unaware of, it doesn't seem anything different than your regular politician scandal)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012