Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby debramc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 pm

katiedidwhat wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:(Waves to the shorts-wearing sound-guy in the middle of the audience. AKA The Guy with His Hand Up My Shirt. Awkward that I didn't catch your name....)


His name is Mitch -- same as my youngest son, which is why I remember it. I apologized for the difficulty one of my outfits caused, and he chuckled and said that if he could mike a bikini, a dress was no problem. I responded that I hoped the bikini wasn't for Jeopardy, and he told me that it was for a movie.

Thanks for remembering his name - I was thinking Mike but that wasn't quite right (haha - the mike guy named Mike, no, everyone would notice & comment on that...). He has a remarkable ability to make it feel totally normal and not awkward* that he has one hand up your shirt and the other down it!

* is that really how awkward is spelled? Awkward, awkward, no matter how many times I type it it still looks wrong, but I know it's right...
User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby MinnesotaMyron » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 am

debramc wrote:is that really how awkward is spelled? Awkward, awkward, no matter how many times I type it it still looks wrong, but I know it's right...


"Dr. Awkward" is

A) a palindrome
B) a store-brand soda
C) a Spider-Man villain
D) the worst gynecologist ever

-M
not really on-topic
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby seaborgium » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:59 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:"Dr. Awkward" is

A) a palindrome

I've always loved the assonance there. Also, I once came across a .edu site in high school that mentioned someone with the surname Awkward, and I combed through to see if he was referred to with an honorific, and sure enough, he was called Dr. at one point. So there is at least one real life Dr. Awkward.

Edit: http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/v46/n04/092199.html He's a Ph.D. The date on that article is right in the middle of my high school years.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby ACW » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm

For the 2-day events (like the college tourney), do the contestants know the previous day's scores before FJ?
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby econgator » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

ACW wrote:For the 2-day events (like the college tourney), do the contestants know the previous day's scores before FJ?


Yes
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
 
Posts: 4198
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby xxaaaxx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 pm

How do they handle it if two contestants have the same first name? (If this happened recently and I've already forgotten it, just point and laugh.)
User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby dhkendall » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:How do they handle it if two contestants have the same first name? (If this happened recently and I've already forgotten it, just point and laugh.)


It did happen in the 2008 Teen Tournament, two Rachels went on to final, one Rachel went by her nickname, "Steve".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Moderator, Archivist, and Servant to the J! Community
 
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby legendneverdies » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm

dhkendall wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:How do they handle it if two contestants have the same first name? (If this happened recently and I've already forgotten it, just point and laugh.)


It did happen in the 2008 Teen Tournament, two Rachels went on to final, one Rachel went by her nickname, "Steve".


1996 TofC had Michael Daunt and MIchael DUpee in the finals, so DUpee went by Mike for those two shows.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby seaborgium » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:00 am

ACW wrote:For the 2-day events (like the college tourney), do the contestants know the previous day's scores before FJ?

Well, it's not like they can sequester the contestants during the first game!

Yes, I know what you mean. In fact, the contestants have a card with all three day 1 scores by their writing screens throughout the second game.

As for players with the same name, they take pains to avoid that, but their hands are tied in the finals, hence the two examples given above. However, the quarterfinal games of the first ToC in 1985 were done in chronological order of when the champs initially played, and John Hannatt, Paul Boymel, and Paul Crozier were the 7th, 8th, and 9th 5x champs (not necessarily respectively), so Crozier was addressed with his Marines rank, as "Staff Sergeant Paul."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby ACW » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 am

seaborgium wrote:Well, it's not like they can sequester the contestants during the first game!
:lol:
seaborgium wrote:Yes, I know what you mean. In fact, the contestants have a card with all three day 1 scores by their writing screens throughout the second game.
Thanks :)
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby thejeopardyfan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:02 am

I don't think I've seen this addressed before: In a tournament, once a guy's quarterfinal has aired, is he free to tell people when his semifinal will air? Or is that still supposed to be a secret?
User avatar
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:37 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby legendneverdies » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:07 am

thejeopardyfan wrote:I don't think I've seen this addressed before: In a tournament, once a guy's quarterfinal has aired, is he free to tell people when his semifinal will air? Or is that still supposed to be a secret?


If they won their QF game there shouldn't be any trouble. If the player got in as a WC, maybe the show doesn't want the outcome revealed until after the fifth QF game when the WC's are announced.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby thejeopardyfan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 am

legendneverdies wrote:If they won their QF game there shouldn't be any trouble. If the player got in as a WC, maybe the show doesn't want the outcome revealed until after the fifth QF game when the WC's are announced.

You're fast. That's what I meant. I wrote that from my phone but can't edit from there. I scrambled to turn my computer on but you've already responded! Thanks. 2-16 spoiler:
Spoiler: show
I'm wondering when Brooks' semifinal airs and if he can even say.
User avatar
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:37 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby kristinsausville » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 am

thejeopardyfan wrote:I don't think I've seen this addressed before: In a tournament, once a guy's quarterfinal has aired, is he free to tell people when his semifinal will air? Or is that still supposed to be a secret?


Yes. Cue us frantically trying to get the word out to family and friends when Justin's QF and SF games aired back-to-back. ;)
kristinsausville
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby Volante » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Adding another random question...

Can you phrase the question in a foreign language and get away with it?
Basically, today's calendar clue, "There's a cafe du this, "the world," in New Orleans"
Would
Spoiler: show
Qu'est-ce que c'est le monde?
work?

I think it's been done before, but I can't remember specific details...
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby seaborgium » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Volante wrote:Adding another random question...

Can you phrase the question in a foreign language and get away with it?
Basically, today's calendar clue, "There's a cafe du this, "the world," in New Orleans"
Would
Spoiler: show
Qu'est-ce que c'est le monde?
work?

I think it's been done before, but I can't remember specific details...

Steve Chernicoff did it with "soupçon" in the UToC (although I think his phrasing was different from yours). Ken Jennings did "¿Qué es nada?"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby dhkendall » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Volante wrote:Adding another random question...

Can you phrase the question in a foreign language and get away with it?
Basically, today's calendar clue, "There's a cafe du this, "the world," in New Orleans"
Would
Spoiler: show
Qu'est-ce que c'est le monde?
work?

I think it's been done before, but I can't remember specific details...


It has, I know Ken answered, in his last game, "¿Qué es nada?" (A Category About Nothing, $400, the intent was what "nothing" is in Spanish) and was accepted, and a few have done it since (and before). I don't think they want you making a habit of it, they want "gregarious", not "overly cutesy".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Moderator, Archivist, and Servant to the J! Community
 
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby reddpen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Outbuzzed again...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby SkoolRN » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:21 pm

mam418 wrote:1) It's a different screen. Sort of. It's the same physical screen, but once you enter your wager, and 'lock it in' - confirming your wager - that's done. You don't see it anymore on your screen, either. You couldn't change it even if you wanted to.

2) Yes. From the point of view of the contestants, it's above and to the left of the game board - more or less directly above the two main cameras. Nothing fancy, just white lights on a black background showing the score. (picture this sort of lights, but not color: http://athleticbusiness.com/buyers_guid ... s/1163.jpg)

3) Don't know... they probably randomly assign the podiums, whoever gets the champs spot picks first.

Re #1. A staff member also walks behind the podium and writes down each person's wager on a very high-tech pad of paper on a clipboard. I assumed that was in case of a malfunction of the electronics.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
User avatar
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 am

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Postby jeff6286 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm

SkoolRN wrote:Re #1. A staff member also walks behind the podium and writes down each person's wager on a very high-tech pad of paper on a clipboard. I assumed that was in case of a malfunction of the electronics.


If it's being done as a backup in case of an electronic malfunction, wouldn't they want to use an extremely low-tech pad of paper?
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests