Familiar face on Millionaire

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Familiar face on Millionaire

Post by Rex Kramer »

kprather895 wrote:So does that mean Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings are the only two players to win six-or-more figures on both shows? I know for Bill, the benchmark was $125,000.
I can only state for sure that no one else did it as of 2007. At that point there had been about 85 people who had been on both shows. There may be twice that number or more now, and I don't know that anyone has a list of all of them. If even *I'm* not motivated enough to compile such a list, I don't imagine anyone else has, either.

Rex
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rex Kramer wrote:
kprather895 wrote:So does that mean Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings are the only two players to win six-or-more figures on both shows? I know for Bill, the benchmark was $125,000.
I can only state for sure that no one else did it as of 2007. At that point there had been about 85 people who had been on both shows. There may be twice that number or more now, and I don't know that anyone has a list of all of them. If even *I'm* not motivated enough to compile such a list, I don't imagine anyone else has, either.

Rex
I am a loyal viewer of Millionaire and while I may not recognize every former J! player who gets on, I guarantee you a $100K+ winner on J! will not get past me. Your $125K on both shows remains safe. Dodging the Pam Mueller and Michael Rooney shots were nothing compared to getting Ken off the stage with "just" 100K.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
I am a loyal viewer of Millionaire and while I may not recognize every former J! player who gets on, I guarantee you a $100K+ winner on J! will not get past me. Your $125K on both shows remains safe. Dodging the Pam Mueller and Michael Rooney shots were nothing compared to getting Ken off the stage with "just" 100K.
Thank you, Mark -- you are a national treasure. At least among the "People Whose Sense of Self-Worth Depends on Highly Contrived Distinctions" crowd. :)

Rex
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Season 15 player Chris Sedlack ( http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1811 ) appeared on Millionaire this week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's April 13 show had a familiar face for long-time J! viewers:

What happened and spoiler for Q above:
Spoiler
Paul Rouffa guessed Chicago, but Atlanta was the right answer. He left with just the $1000. It was his 4th question, his bank was at $22K and he had the JUMP and +1 lifelines remaining.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

I was just in Atlanta's airport yesterday. It took an hour and 45 minutes to get to South Bend, Indiana from there. That's just shy of 2 hours.

I was deciding between Atlanta and Chicago-it's just a 45 minute flight across Lake Michigan from here.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Considering
Spoiler
Atlanta is closer to Washington, DC, Miami, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York & Boston (wow, I feel like Pitbull)
, I went right for the correct answer.

Maybe this was an easy one for me because where I live is in a day's drive of 33% of the US population, so this type of geography/population question is on my mind anyway.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote:Today's April 13 show had a familiar face for long-time J! viewers:

What happened and spoiler for Q above:
Spoiler
Paul Rouffa guessed Chicago, but Atlanta was the right answer. He left with just the $1000. It was his 4th question, his bank was at $22K and he had the JUMP and +1 lifelines remaining.
Spoiler
Paul's first game show appearance since Super J! a quarter century ago. He won $30k over five days on Scrabble in December 1987 and played on NOw You See It in June 1989, making it past the first round but losing the second round, and seeing his opponent win $50K in a bonus round not won for two weeks(it started at $5K and went up $5K a day until won)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Getting recognized by Paul last summer at our Chicago audition was, no joke, the thrill of a lifetime. Those Jeopardy contestants from when I was a kid are still like celebrities to me.

Glad he got on, sad it turned out like this.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote:Considering
Spoiler
Atlanta is closer to Washington, DC, Miami, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York & Boston (wow, I feel like Pitbull)
, I went right for the correct answer.

Maybe this was an easy one for me because where I live is in a day's drive of 33% of the US population, so this type of geography/population question is on my mind anyway.
Spoiler
Flight times from Chicago and Atlanta to NYC, Boston, Philly, W.DC, Baltimore, Dallas are all the same, +/-5m. Both can also reach Kansas City, St Louis and Detroit within that window.

But Atlanta can also reach Florida and Houston within ~2 hours.
I didn't give myself enough latitude and got it wrong...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Other WWTBAM news: Syndie MIllionaire got renewed for season 14 with Chris Harrison replacing Terry Crews as host. Chris Harrison hosts the Bachelor(ette) but hosted two more traditional, albeit short lived, game shows: Mall Masters on GSN in 2001 and You Deserve It on ABC primetime in late 2011.
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

legendneverdies wrote:Paul's first game show appearance since Super J! a quarter century ago.
Well, not quite. I did appear on network Millionaire in November 1999 and August 2000, playing Fastest Finger but not reaching the Hot Seat. And "quarter century ago" is very funny. I like to think that my first J! appearances were half a lifetime ago. :lol:
Volante wrote:Flight times from Chicago and Atlanta to NYC, Boston, Philly, W.DC, Baltimore, Dallas are all the same, +/-5m. Both can also reach Kansas City, St Louis and Detroit within that window.

But Atlanta can also reach Florida and Houston within ~2 hours.
I find this oddly comforting.
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Getting recognized by Paul last summer at our Chicago audition was, no joke, the thrill of a lifetime.
Myron, you really must get out more. :lol:

BTW, Rick Kogan of the Chicago Tribune wrote a nice article about me in today's paper. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... tml#page=1
Omnia operatur ex in sua infirmos modo
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Frank Tangredi was on J! (in 1991 I think) and won $32K on Millionaire in 2000.

Spoiler
Frank helped quizzing friend Susan Dorsey-Nelson by knowing that Gore was the son of a senator.
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

MarkBarrett wrote:Frank Tangredi was on J! (in 1991 I think) and won $32K on Millionaire in 2000.

...and I lost Fastest Finger to Frank in that 2000 episode.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

PRouf wrote:BTW, Rick Kogan of the Chicago Tribune wrote a nice article about me in today's paper. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... tml#page=1
It's behind a paywall.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

By sheer coincidence, I just ran across this on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLsCVX-RtI
Sprinkles are for winners.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

PRouf wrote:BTW, Rick Kogan of the Chicago Tribune wrote a nice article about me in today's paper. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... tml#page=1
Interestingly, a friend of mine clipped that article and saved it for me, not even knowing we'd encountered each other randomly at another game show tryout. It was great to see you had fun in the hot ... umm, seat? counter? camera mark? Anyway, it was a fun read.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A guy being on a game show was worth a mention on the news in Chicago?

I didn't see or don't remember Paul on Jeopordy!, but I bet he was fun to watch. I got both of his bonus words as quickly as he did. I can't believe they threw in. Pat Sajak clue on there.

I think he got a big help the way Chuck pronounced the stopwatch clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:By sheer coincidence, I just ran across this on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLsCVX-RtI
Paul's got his J! and Scrabble appearances on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/paulrouffa
I got that link from the article about him, which I was able to read by looking at it on a barebones, Javascript-incapable browser that wasn't able to pop up the paywall to block me.

Today's Millionaire didn't have any familiar faces, but it did give away a grand total of $5,750. The first player was doing reasonably well, then he got a question wrong that I paraphrase as follows: "John Alden was in charge of the beer on the Mayflower because he was the ship's what? A. Furrier B. Cooper C. Milliner D. Falconer"
Spoiler
I think the player had some unconscious association between "milliner" and "Miller," because that was his final answer, which he gave quickly and confidently. The correct response was cooper, but Terry didn't explain why it made sense.
Then the next person asked the audience on his first question, they went 57% (or 53%, I can't remember for certain) on an incorrect answer, and he agreed and went bye-bye. The one after him asked the audience on the first question (despite knowing the answer), jumped the next one, answered the third, and got her father down from the audience on the fourth, but was unable to answer the question and walked away with half her $7,500 bank.
PRouf
Contributor

Post by PRouf »

alietr wrote:It's behind a paywall.
Google Final answer: There's life after Jeopardy; you should be able to link to the article from there.
Bamaman wrote:A guy being on a game show was worth a mention on the news in Chicago?
Um...no. :D Rick has written a number of articles mentioning me in the past, often about my Jeopardy appearances and sometimes about my previous acting career. About a year and a half ago, I was in the middle of another career change and checked with him about a reference. At the time, I was also waiting to find out if I would get picked for the Tournament of the Decades, and he offered to write an article with Jeopardy kind of bookending things. Well, that didn't happen, but when my Millionaire appearance came up, he decided to pull the trigger.
Budphrey wrote:Interestingly, a friend of mine clipped that article and saved it for me, not even knowing we'd encountered each other randomly at another game show tryout.
Bud, it was nice meeting you at the Chase audition. Actually, that was quite a group gathered that day. :D