Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Wondering: Did anyone scan the QR code to see where it was? (I have a pretty good guess, but a) lacking a phone at the moment and b) not liking QR codes for a variety of reasons (one of which being you have no idea where they'll take you) means I couldn't/wouldn't.)
I wondered that myself. I have never scanned a QR code and I have no device which could scan a QR code.

At first, it looked like it wasn't a real one. But on closer inspection, it does.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

I bet it just takes you to the J! website. Or, if they really wanted to be sneaky, the promotional site for some movie Sony is distributing.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

seaborgium wrote:I couldn't tell when he appeared in his QF thread whether that was a good sign, but the very fact he showed up here made me want him to make it.
I told him on Twitter that this thread was here. But maybe he already knew it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Wondering: Did anyone scan the QR code to see where it was? (I have a pretty good guess, but a) lacking a phone at the moment and b) not liking QR codes for a variety of reasons (one of which being you have no idea where they'll take you) means I couldn't/wouldn't.)
Thanks for reminding me. The content of the code was "jeopardy.com". I don't know if it's true of all QR code-reading apps, but the one I use doesn't automatically take you there (if the content is even a link. This one wasn't as far as my app was concerned -- the absence of http:// at the start was likely to blame); it shows the address the code points to, and takes you there if you click it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

seaborgium wrote:The content of the code was "jeopardy.com". I don't know if it's true of all QR code-reading apps, but the one I use doesn't automatically take you there (if the content is even a link. This one wasn't as far as my app was concerned -- the absence of http:// at the start was likely to blame); it shows the address the code points to, and takes you there if you click it.
Ah, that explains it -- I was using a QR-reader app that will automatically take you to a website, but it was doing nothing with that QR code.

So it seems as if the J! people are just as competent at creating working QR codes as they are at keeping message boards operational. (Oh snap!)
NikkiS
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by NikkiS »

I notice Tuesday's game board isn't posted. I have a friend who has an Akita and was telling her about the clue in "Dog Pound" and was trying to find the answer for her. Is there any chance that will be posted? Thanks! :D
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

NikkiS wrote:I notice Tuesday's game board isn't posted. I have a friend who has an Akita and was telling her about the clue in "Dog Pound" and was trying to find the answer for her. Is there any chance that will be posted? Thanks! :D
I'm sure the game will be added to the Archives soon, but I don't believe there is any set schedule or general rule for how fast it gets done. I'm sure it varies quite a bet depending on how much free time the Archivists have. In the meantime...I still have the show on my DVR so I can post the text of that clue for you:

Dogs for $800
75-120 pounds: this Japanese working breed that shares its name with a Japanese prefecture.
NikkiS
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by NikkiS »

Perfect, thanks!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

NikkiS wrote:I notice Tuesday's game board isn't posted. I have a friend who has an Akita and was telling her about the clue in "Dog Pound" and was trying to find the answer for her. Is there any chance that will be posted? Thanks! :D
Sorry, folks - I'm your Tuesday archivist and I normally get it up sooner than most solely because I get the show at 11am CT. And I do not work outside my little micro-farm so I control my personal schedule. But I was on a jury for a murder trial this week. Kinda took all my energy.
The show is now up on j-archive.com for your quizzing pleasure!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

barandall800 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: I also agree that this FJ was a joke. At the risk of offending anyone who may not have come up with it, surely this will be in the 90-95% range in the weekly poll, won't it? It seems like there could have been some way of writing a clue about Paulescu with the intended response being "What is insulin" without the total giveaway that was including the word "Pancrein" in the clue.
I'm not offended, but I didn't get it. :oops: There was just no connection there for me...it was kind of a "you know it or you don't" clue, except in this case apparently almost everyone knows it. :D
So, again no offense, I'm just curious, did you know that insulin is produced in the pancreas and just didn't connect pancrein to pancreas? Or did you not know insulin is from the pancreas?
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

debramc wrote:
barandall800 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: I also agree that this FJ was a joke. At the risk of offending anyone who may not have come up with it, surely this will be in the 90-95% range in the weekly poll, won't it? It seems like there could have been some way of writing a clue about Paulescu with the intended response being "What is insulin" without the total giveaway that was including the word "Pancrein" in the clue.
I'm not offended, but I didn't get it. :oops: There was just no connection there for me...it was kind of a "you know it or you don't" clue, except in this case apparently almost everyone knows it. :D
So, again no offense, I'm just curious, did you know that insulin is produced in the pancreas and just didn't connect pancrein to pancreas? Or did you not know insulin is from the pancreas?
Guilty as charged (in regards to the latter). You'd think I would have picked that up, being the son of an RN, too.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Nothing seemed to hint at Terrier on $400.
Well, there was "hunt vermin", the small size and "Cairn" - what more could they fit in there?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

billiej wrote:
Well, there was "hunt vermin", the small size and "Cairn" - what more could they fit in there?
"Rock piles"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

billiej wrote:
"It rhymes with carrier" wouldn't have helped me, as little as I know about dogs. (Sarcasm.)

Sorry, I'll never be a dog person. Not with the ridiculously flatulent, slobbering, misbehaving idiots I have in my house. Not with the well behaved ones I see elsewhere.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
billiej wrote:
"It rhymes with carrier" wouldn't have helped me, as little as I know about dogs. (Sarcasm.)

Sorry, I'll never be a dog person. Not with the ridiculously flatulent, slobbering, misbehaving idiots I have in my house. Not with the well behaved ones I see elsewhere.
Is this referring to dogs or people? Do you live in a college fraternity or something?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:Is this referring to dogs or people? Do you live in a college fraternity or something?
The dogs, thankfully.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. The content of the code was "jeopardy.com". I don't know if it's true of all QR code-reading apps, but the one I use doesn't automatically take you there (if the content is even a link. This one wasn't as far as my app was concerned -- the absence of http:// at the start was likely to blame); it shows the address the code points to, and takes you there if you click it.
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but while we're on the subject of QR codes, I have a question:

Is there a way to read &/or decipher a QR code without a smartphone or camera or whatever? I have modified a QR code and would like to know how it would render if read. Would it be gibberish? Or would it at least be standard text that makes no sense?

I've been googling for a couple of hours and haven't found an answer.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but while we're on the subject of QR codes, I have a question:

Is there a way to read &/or decipher a QR code without a smartphone or camera or whatever? I have modified a QR code and would like to know how it would render if read. Would it be gibberish? Or would it at least be standard text that makes no sense?

I've been googling for a couple of hours and haven't found an answer.

Brian
http://freenuts.com/best-5-free-online-qr-code-readers/

Best I can tell, one way or another you'll need an image of it. There's no applet I've found (yet) that lets you make one from just toggling pixels on or off. (Which, in a sense, makes sense. A big part of a QR code is error checking.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:http://freenuts.com/best-5-free-online-qr-code-readers/

Best I can tell, one way or another you'll need an image of it. There's no applet I've found (yet) that lets you make one from just toggling pixels on or off. (Which, in a sense, makes sense. A big part of a QR code is error checking.)
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. My question has been answered.

Now to think of another way to obfuscate a QR code.

Brian

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bpmod wrote:Now to think of another way to obfuscate a QR code.

Brian
Do you want to change what it says, or make it unreadable? I know that the large squares in or near the corners help the code reader figure out which way it's oriented. Also, there's a row of alternating blacks and whites between the bottom-most lines of the two top squares, and a column of them between the right-most lines of the two left squares. I don't know what those do (the Wikipedia article says "timing," but I'm not sure what that refers to), but altering those might go a long way toward creating an unreadable QR code that still looks like one (and can be repaired with a little work by someone aware of the patterns).