Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Audition Emails

Post by dhkendall »

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:I'll see you there Emily! I'm slated for Dallas on the 29th as well. I'm still sort of in shock, because I thought I only got 34 right on the central test. I must have gotten credit for a few partial answers. On another note, is there a thread that has more information about the format of the auditions? Thanks!

Erin
Well, I hope you're right, as I believe I scored 34 on the test too. Looks like Chicago hasn't been called yet, so they'll leave me to pull out my hair until that happens. (Those going to Chicago auditions, you'll recognize me, I'll be the bald guy with a few random tufts of hair ... :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

dhkendall wrote: TreehugginCowgirl wrote:I'll see you there Emily! I'm slated for Dallas on the 29th as well. I'm still sort of in shock, because I thought I only got 34 right on the central test. I must have gotten credit for a few partial answers. On another note, is there a thread that has more information about the format of the auditions? Thanks!

Erin

Well, I hope you're right, as I believe I scored 34 on the test too. Looks like Chicago hasn't been called yet, so they'll leave me to pull out my hair until that happens. (Those going to Chicago auditions, you'll recognize me, I'll be the bald guy with a few random tufts of hair ... :) )
On one hand, I'm glad I'd decided I had no chance, because I haven't stressed out about it. On the other, I just lost a month and a half of studying. How am I supposed to finish unpacking boxes and find a job while Jeopardy cramming?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:
dhkendall wrote: TreehugginCowgirl wrote:I'll see you there Emily! I'm slated for Dallas on the 29th as well. I'm still sort of in shock, because I thought I only got 34 right on the central test. I must have gotten credit for a few partial answers. On another note, is there a thread that has more information about the format of the auditions? Thanks!

Erin

On one hand, I'm glad I'd decided I had no chance, because I haven't stressed out about it. On the other, I just lost a month and a half of studying. How am I supposed to finish unpacking boxes and find a job while Jeopardy cramming?
Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible. (Easy way to test this: do you still remember the stuff you crammed for when you were in college (or whatever your most recent education was)?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

dhkendall wrote:
TreehugginCowgirl wrote:

Erin

Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible. (Easy way to test this: do you still remember the stuff you crammed for when you were in college (or whatever your most recent education was)?)
I do not think this is good advice. Learn the basics about the things you know nothing about; mythology, say, or succession and years of presidencies. Opera, classical music, whatever you're completely weak in. Much of what is asked is the very basics. And you CAN commit some of that to memory; never know when it might save you.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible. (Easy way to test this: do you still remember the stuff you crammed for when you were in college (or whatever your most recent education was)?)
I do not think this is good advice. Learn the basics about the things you know nothing about; mythology, say, or succession and years of presidencies. Opera, classical music, whatever you're completely weak in. Much of what is asked is the very basics. And you CAN commit some of that to memory; never know when it might save you.
Studying is one thing, cramming is another.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
emilyspere1
Contributor

Post by emilyspere1 »

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:I'll see you there Emily! I'm slated for Dallas on the 29th as well. I'm still sort of in shock, because I thought I only got 34 right on the central test. I must have gotten credit for a few partial answers. On another note, is there a thread that has more information about the format of the auditions? Thanks!

Erin
What time is your audition? I'm set for 11:30. This will be audition numero seven for me-so I know a little about the formats. I tried to PM you but evidently that is not allowed via this site/board.
zapdsl
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by zapdsl »

Invited to Dallas on 3/28. Absolutely terrified that I won't come up with any decent stories, which is at least precluding my worry over not knowing anything at all.
emilyspere1
Contributor

Post by emilyspere1 »

Volante wrote:
bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible. (Easy way to test this: do you still remember the stuff you crammed for when you were in college (or whatever your most recent education was)?)
Studying is one thing, cramming is another.
I can recall talking to another hopeful at an audition a few years back. When I asked him if he had studied he looked at me like I was crazy. "What for?" was his response. I cannot believe anyone would tryout and not study. Although I have been to some of the "cattle-call" auditions where I am sure a few people were there on a lark. Showing up in overalls was a dead giveaway.
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

Thought I'd pass the info along that on Thursday I got an email invite to a Philadelphia audition on 3/27. Not sure, but I think I scored 35 on the central test. I didn't think that was good enough to make it, so the email was a welcome surprise.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

emilyspere1 wrote:I can recall talking to another hopeful at an audition a few years back. When I asked him if he had studied he looked at me like I was crazy. "What for?" was his response. I cannot believe anyone would tryout and not study.
I'm with him. I've never studied before any of the J! tests or auditions. I've passed the vast majority of the ones I've taken and of the ones I didn't, studying wouldn't have helped in the slightest. My daily dose of Jeopardy! IS my studying.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

dhkendall wrote:

Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible.
Hah! After I got "the call" my brother helped me memorize the wives of Henry VIII, and it turned out to be very, uh, helpful. I asked everyone I know to tell me about the things they knew best. My mom helped with music, my husband read me a poem a night (nice!) etc. If nothing else, it was a fun way to involve my friends and family.

I wouldn't think of it as "cramming" for the audition, I don't think that makes much difference, they are looking at your personality and how you play the game. But since you have an audition, I would think of it as studying for your eventual (we hope) appearance on the show itself. I was so sure I wouldn't be chosen after my audition that I didn't bother to study at all afterwards, until I got the call. Then I wished I could've had those 5 months back to study more!
Last edited by gloriaclemente on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Expecting R. Craig to chime in any time here...
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

emilyspere1 wrote:I'm slated for Dallas on 3/29.
Interesting.

I just got an invite for Philadelphia on that date, so they're auditioning in two cities at once.

I took the Wednesday test -- 44.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

emilyspere1 wrote:

Erin
What time is your audition? I'm set for 11:30. This will be audition numero seven for me-so I know a little about the formats. I tried to PM you but evidently that is not allowed via this site/board.
It's allowed, you just have to have a certain number of posts (which you just hit, I think) in order to be able to do so. :)
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Mark B wrote:
Interesting.

I just got an invite for Philadelphia on that date, so they're auditioning in two cities at once.

Excellent! Best of luck!
Rahsputin
Contributor

Post by Rahsputin »

Howdy,

I took the PST test (est. 42), and received audition invite March 2.
Going to Dallas, baby! hence the attempt at Texan.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Mark B wrote:
Interesting.

Good for you!!!

Keep us informed as to how it goes.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

slam wrote: Excellent! Best of luck!
John Boy wrote:
Good for you!!!

Keep us informed as to how it goes.
Thanks guys. I know you both know the drill very well, as do I, so we'll just see what comes of this one.
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Pretty sure I signed up for Dallas and almost positive I passed (about 39 according to test transcripts). Seeing that others are getting audition e-mails, would I have received one by now if I was getting an audition? The only time I've been to an in-person audition post-online test is for college tournament 3-4 years ago. This would be 2nd yr in a row that I've passed but not gotten an audition :( Hoping it comes soon!
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

britt408 wrote:Pretty sure I signed up for Dallas and almost positive I passed (about 39 according to test transcripts). Seeing that others are getting audition e-mails, would I have received one by now if I was getting an audition? The only time I've been to an in-person audition post-online test is for college tournament 3-4 years ago. This would be 2nd yr in a row that I've passed but not gotten an audition :( Hoping it comes soon!
Based on experience, my sense is that you would probably have received one by now, but it's not a sure thing. Sometimes they seem to have a 2nd wave of emails for a location timed as if they are in response to fewer than expected positive responses from the 1st wave. So, I'm guessing your chances of getting one have gone done, but not to zero.