Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

the_phil
60% or Bust

Re: Audition Emails

Post by the_phil »

Paucle wrote:...way back in 2010 in Raleigh
I wish we had one of those here this year. I'm schlepping it to Tampa next week.

Also, it just dawned on me.
http://qkme.me/3tdzb3
sbseagle

Post by sbseagle »

tiffanyjs wrote:I was in the 11:30 San Antonio group (first audition ever), and I must say I was amazed at the lack of women both in my group and the 9am group. Is 3 women to 20+ men normal for auditions? It made me wonder- are female candidates more likely to get The Call to keep the show's male-female ratio up, simply because fewer of them audition? I think I did really well on the personality/mock show portion as a young spunky redhead but I'm worried because I know I missed at least 10 on the written portion (I missed some of the easiest ones by overthinking. Ugh).
I was wondering some of the same things! How were there (what looked like) 4 women out of the 40 people who were in our session and the one before us?
Then when you think about the math they were spouting, you would think they would take a fifth of every group that auditions.
I for one was really not jazzed about being the first person they called up.

You hook'em'ed well :P
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
tiffanyjs wrote:I was in the 11:30 San Antonio group (first audition ever), and I must say I was amazed at the lack of women both in my group and the 9am group. Is 3 women to 20+ men normal for auditions? It made me wonder- are female candidates more likely to get The Call to keep the show's male-female ratio up, simply because fewer of them audition? I think I did really well on the personality/mock show portion as a young spunky redhead but I'm worried because I know I missed at least 10 on the written portion (I missed some of the easiest ones by overthinking. Ugh).
Hey, you were sitting right next to me! I was also a little surprised by the underrepresentation of females but I would suspect that way more men than women take the online quiz in the first place and it's probably representative of that. Quiz bowl was certainly quite a male-dominated sport when I played it, and there's definitely some demographic overlap.
At my audition, IIRC there were 5-6 women out of 20 people (including myself). At least one other woman in my group made it on the show (and I thought she did really well during the mock game, so I wasn't surprised).

I would tend to agree (sexist and unfair as it may seem) that since it appears TPTB work to get a fairly equal male/female ratio for contestants, and if fewer women in general are taking the test and/or auditioning, women may have a better mathematical edge at getting The Call. In my College Bowl days, there were definitely not many women participating.

What strikes me as interesting is that even though the contestants are pretty even (male/female ratio), champions (especially those who qualify for TOC) seem to be disproportionately male. Anyone have some handy stats? Seaborgium, perhaps?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CoachP wrote: What strikes me as interesting is that even though the contestants are pretty even (male/female ratio), champions (especially those who qualify for TOC) seem to be disproportionately male. Anyone have some handy stats? Seaborgium, perhaps?
All I can offer is that 1993 had the most even ratio of any ToC, with eight men and seven women. Men won all the QFs, but all the wild cards were women. If Phoebe Juel had broken Tom Nosek's lock in the semis, there would have been an all-female final, but it ended up being Tom, Bev Schwartzberg, and Marilyn Kneeland, the first and thus far only ToC final with more than one woman. (Tom won.)

As far as paucity of women in ToCs goes, the 1986 ToC had one woman (Beryl Arbit; had Barbara Lowe played eligibly, she would have been in), and 1987 had none. Besides 1993, I don't think they've done better than five women in a ToC (and off the top of my head, I don't know of any besides 2009 with more than four).

Edit: Now I've looked it up.
1985: 3 (Elise Beraru, Liz Caccese, Paula Tupper)
1986: 1 (Beryl Arbit)
1987: 0
1988: 5 (Barbara-Anne Eddy, Sandra Gore, Leah Greenwald, Peggy Kennedy, Kate Waits) (Sandra became the first female finalist)
1989: 4 (Cathy Boggs, Peggi Malys, Ouida Rellstab, Yael Sofaer)
1990: 2 (Lisa Guay, Elaine Zollner)
1991: 4 (Sara Cox, Leslie Frates, Lois Kurowski, Lynne Wexler
1992: 2 (India Cooper, April McManus)
1993: 7 (Debby Arnold, Phoebe Juel, Marilyn Kneeland, Leslie Miller, Bev Schwartzberg, Linda Shepard, Diane Siegel)
1994: 3 (Amy Fine, Jean Grewe, Rachael Schwartz) (Rachael won)
1995: 1 (Linda Roberts)
1996: 4 (Amanda Goad, Mary Hirschfield, Beverly Spurs, Barbara Walker)
1997: 4 (Pam Mifflin, Lyn Payne, Claudia Perry, Grace Veach) (I think this is the only ToC where more QFs were won by women)
1999: 4 (Lara Robillard, Carolyn White, Juliet Wiley, Melizza Zygmunt) (Juliet was a finalist)
2000: 6 (Robin Carroll, Carolyn Cracraft, Darlene Lieblich, Helen Petroff, Melissa Sexstone Janet Wong) (Robin won)
2001: 2 (Michelle Clum, Pam Mueller)
2003: 4 (Kathy Cassity, Jill Bunzendahl Chimka, Jackie Harrison, Max Levaren)
2004: 3 (Anne Boyd, Vinita Kailasanath, Sam Ott)
2006: 2 (Kerry Breitenbach, Maria Wenglinsky)
2007: 4 (Celeste DiNucci, Cathy Lanctot, Susan Mitchell, Sara Terrell) (Celeste won)
2009: 5 (Deborah Fitzgerald, Larissa Kelly, Lisa Klink, Cora Peck, Donna Vogel) (Larissa was a finalist)
2010: 3 (Liz Murphy, Regina Robbins, Christine Valada)
2011: 2 (Erin McLean, Kara Spak)
2013: 3 (Stephanie Jass, Kristin Morgan, Monica Thieu)

Also, for what it's worth, I believe at least five ToCs had female alternates (three I know for sure, two are assumptions I'd be willing to bet money on).
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

tiffanyjs wrote:I'd definitely be interested in why that is... (girls don't like to read? girls aren't educated? girls don't care enough to discover the world around them?) but I have a feeling that could open up a huge can of worms. :)

In the meantime, I sure hope the gender disparity works in my favor!
There were at least six women in my group of 16 when I auditioned. So far, I've only seen two of us on the show. The other was also a woman, and I was really surprised to see that she had made it based on her audition. She was on the week jfrumkin played.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

the_phil wrote:
Paucle wrote:...way back in 2010 in Raleigh
I wish we had one of those here this year. I'm schlepping it to Tampa next week.
Thankfully for me it's just a two-hour drive across the state -- well, up, across, and back down. Also thankful that's it's Thursday, as I am going to the Indy Car race in St Pete Fri-Sun and there's no way in hell would have drove over on, say, Wed just to drive back over on Fri. Staying a night in a hotel and catching a Yankees Spring Training game, however, is quite acceptable. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote: Staying a night in a hotel and catching a Yankees Spring Training game, however, is quite acceptable.
I haven't seen a live Yankees game since 1983 old-timers' day. I've got to try to get to one this year so I can see #42. My brother insists we saw him in 1994 at an Albany-Colonie game, I just don't remember it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:
CoachP wrote: What strikes me as interesting is that even though the contestants are pretty even (male/female ratio), champions (especially those who qualify for TOC) seem to be disproportionately male. Anyone have some handy stats? Seaborgium, perhaps?
All I can offer is that 1993 had the most even ratio of any ToC, with eight men and seven women. Men won all the QFs, but all the wild cards were women. If Phoebe Juel had broken Tom Nosek's lock in the semis, there would have been an all-female final, but it ended up being Tom, Bev Schwartzberg, and Marilyn Kneeland, the first and thus far only ToC final with more than one woman. (Tom won.)

--snippy-do--

Also, for what it's worth, I believe at least five ToCs had female alternates (three I know for sure, two are assumptions I'd be willing to bet money on).
I'd like to see those stats updated with regard to which women players were Teen/College/Senior Champions. I've been under the impression that these tournaments (especially Teen and College) are as like to be won by women as by men.

-M
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
econgator wrote: Staying a night in a hotel and catching a Yankees Spring Training game, however, is quite acceptable.
I haven't seen a live Yankees game since 1983 old-timers' day. I've got to try to get to one this year so I can see #42. My brother insists we saw him in 1994 at an Albany-Colonie game, I just don't remember it.
The only time I have seen the Yankees play live is when they have been visiting Toronto.

I was planning a trip down to Dunedin to see the Jays in spring training, but I am not sure if it will happen.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
seaborgium wrote:

--snippy-do--

I'd like to see those stats updated with regard to which women players were Teen/College/Senior Champions. I've been under the impression that these tournaments (especially Teen and College) are as like to be won by women as by men.

-M
I added bolds. T = Teen, S = Senior, C = College

1985: 3 (Elise Beraru, Liz Caccese, Paula Tupper)
1986: 1 (Beryl Arbit)
1987: 0
1988: 5 (Barbara-Anne Eddy, Sandra Gore, Leah Greenwald, Peggy Kennedy[S], Kate Waits) (Sandra became the first female finalist)
1989: 4 (Cathy Boggs, Peggi Malys, Ouida Rellstab [S], Yael Sofaer)
1990: 2 (Lisa Guay, Elaine Zollner)
1991: 4 (Sara Cox, Leslie Frates, Lois Kurowski, Lynne Wexler
1992: 2 (India Cooper, April McManus [T])
1993: 7 (Debby Arnold, Phoebe Juel [C], Marilyn Kneeland [S], Leslie Miller, Bev Schwartzberg, Linda Shepard, Diane Siegel)
1994: 3 (Amy Fine, Jean Grewe, Rachael Schwartz) (Rachael won)
1995: 1 (Linda Roberts)
1996: 4 (Amanda Goad [T], Mary Hirschfield, Beverly Spurs, Barbara Walker)
1997: 4 (Pam Mifflin, Lyn Payne, Claudia Perry, Grace Veach) (I think this is the only ToC where more QFs were won by women)
1999: 4 (Lara Robillard, Carolyn White, Juliet Wiley, Melizza Zygmunt) (Juliet was a finalist)
2000: 6 (Robin Carroll, Carolyn Cracraft [C], Darlene Lieblich, Helen Petroff, Melissa Sexstone [T] Janet Wong [C]) (Robin won)
2001: 2 (Michelle Clum, Pam Mueller[C])
2003: 4 (Kathy Cassity, Jill Bunzendahl Chimka, Jackie Harrison, Max Levaren)
2004: 3 (Anne Boyd, Vinita Kailasanath [C], Sam Ott)
2006: 2 (Kerry Breitenbach, Maria Wenglinsky)
2007: 4 (Celeste DiNucci, Cathy Lanctot, Susan Mitchell, Sara Terrell) (Celeste won)
2009: 5 (Deborah Fitzgerald, Larissa Kelly, Lisa Klink, Cora Peck, Donna Vogel) (Larissa was a finalist)
2010: 3 (Liz Murphy, Regina Robbins, Christine Valada)
2011: 2 (Erin McLean [C], Kara Spak)
2013: 3 (Stephanie Jass, Kristin Morgan, Monica Thieu [C])
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Paucle wrote:I haven't seen a live Yankees game since 1983 old-timers' day.
July 16, 1983, with Yankees vs. Rangers following the old-timers' game?

That was the first regular-season major league baseball game I attended. (I'd been to spring training and minor-league games prior to that.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:

That was the first regular-season major league baseball game I attended. (I'd been to spring training and minor-league games prior to that.)
My first regular-season major league baseball game was August 14th, 1977 at Tiger Stadium when Detroit hosted the Minnesota Twins. I still haven't been to any spring training, nor minor league games.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Leafette
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Leafette »

I had a Tampa audition. However, severe weather in Atlanta resulted in cancellation of three flights (including an attempt to fly into Sarasota and drive up). Is there any chance they might give me another city? I am devastated.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Leafette wrote:I had a Tampa audition. However, severe weather in Atlanta resulted in cancellation of three flights (including an attempt to fly into Sarasota and drive up). Is there any chance they might give me another city? I am devastated.
Email the show, explain the circumstances, and ask if there is another city where you could audition.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Leafette wrote:I had a Tampa audition. However, severe weather in Atlanta resulted in cancellation of three flights (including an attempt to fly into Sarasota and drive up). Is there any chance they might give me another city? I am devastated.
It certainly couldn't hurt to ask. Based on things people have posted in the past, if you explain what happened, it seems possible that they might give you another chance.
Leafette
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Leafette »

jeff6286 wrote:
It certainly couldn't hurt to ask. Based on things people have posted in the past, if you explain what happened, it seems possible that they might give you another chance.
It appears that they are going to reschedule me. This is such great news.
Dinkle

Post by Dinkle »

Just got my Nashville invite. May 13. Woot. Third time the charm?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Dinkle wrote:Just got my Nashville invite. May 13. Woot. Third time the charm?
Nashville? That's my (potential audition) city. *Off to check my email!*
MartinMoore
Contributor

Post by MartinMoore »

Huntsville, May 10.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

trainman wrote:
Yes! This game: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-sco ... 8307160NYA

Funny story..... wait, 30 years later it's STILL not funny!
Three of us from work (and one spouse) wanted to go to a game: me and Kathy (casual friend) with Mark/Amy (h&w). Mark didn't work with us, and the easiest game to go to was July 4th, since we had that day off. So that was our choice. Mark, though, really wanted to see an O-T game. I did too, sort of, but getting a Saturday off in the middle of the summer at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center box office was rather unlikely. Our boss thought she was doing us a favor by granting the triple day off.

Wow oh wow I wish she'd said NFW and forced the 7/4/83 game on us.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-sco ... 8307040NYA

Amy came straight to me on 7/5 after Mark dropped her off to "check on me." She was bemused but also sympathetic (she knew I was a huge, huge fan not only of the team but I gushed over Righetti too) "Mark asked me if he could poke his head in and ask what you thought about the game, but I advised him he probably better not." I confirmed her assessment!