Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gjbrault

Re: Audition Emails

Post by gjbrault »

Woo hoo! I received an invite yesterday for L.A. on May 9th. I hadn't set up any mail filters for the domain but thankfully it came through okay (gmail).

- Greg
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

opusthepenguin wrote:I got an invitation today. I'm supposed to RSVP by email within two days. That's a pretty tight turnaround. So just a reminder to everyone: Make sure your email is set up not to send your invitation to the SPAM folder. Didn't one our boardies just happen to find an invite there and respond to it in time? Don't take that chance. The email was from the domain spe.sony.com, NOT from news.sonypictures.com which sends out announcements about online tests and such. Getting those announcements is no guarantee your email program won't crush your dreams by hiding your invitation in the junk mail bin. It was always jealous of you.

The invitation didn't say what address to RSVP to, so I'm assuming I just click Reply. The audition is on Sunday, May 5 in Kansas City. What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.
I was lucky enough to get that email twice. Once about 5 years ago, and then again last April. (I also passed the first round at an in-studio test in LA in 1997 or so) Both times the testing was conducted at the same hotel in midtown Manhattan. The first time was a Sunday, but last year was midweek. Both times the written 50 question test was (I thought) pretty easy.
The difference between the two dates was the mock game/interview portion. The session 5 years ago was OK. But I had a weird feeling last year that the interview went REALLY well. It was mostly conducted by Maggie, and I remember thinking that this time was going to be different. Turns out I was right. It's a good thing too, because after I took the online test last year (and thinking it had not gone well) I thought to myself "I'm getting too old for this. How many times do I beat my head against the wall?"
So as I entered the hotel last year, I had something of a "to hell with it" attitude. I think I was more relaxed, and that helped a great deal. My back-and-forth with Maggie was the most memorable part, she's a riot!
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
BaltimoreBoy
Valued Contributor

Post by BaltimoreBoy »

TomC4253 wrote: My back-and-forth with Maggie was the most memorable part, she's a riot!
Maggie is great! In the green room I asked Maggie if there were a YouTube of her somewhere. I said that I just HAD to let my friends see/know what she was like -- I thought there was no way they would believe me! When I tell of my experience being on the show, she's as big a part of the story as almost anything else. The goodbye hug she gave me is still one of my favorite memories of doing the whole thing!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I just got an invite for May 21st in New York.

Fifth time the charm?
Teems with quiet fun.
heldincontempt
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by heldincontempt »

I just received an email for a May 25 audition in NYC -- my wedding anniversary! This will be my second audition. Anyone else on 5/25?
NoName84
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by NoName84 »

jeff6286 wrote:
Dinkle wrote:Just got my Nashville invite. May 13. Woot. Third time the charm?
Nashville? That's my (potential audition) city. *Off to check my email!*
:( Looks like I'm going to need to make like the Chicago Cubs and wait 'til next year.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

immaf wrote:I just got an invite for May 21st in New York.

Fifth time the charm?
Looks like I'm joining noname on the Cubs bandwagon. Wh wah.

Congrats on the invite!
pinkwaterlily

Post by pinkwaterlily »

I got an invite for NYC too on May 21st. First time ever. I took the test in 2012 with no invite (didnt't think I passed though). This time I knew I had. Can't wait.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Give it a day or two, fishercat. It takes them a little while to send out all the invites for a given city. Then, if people don't respond in time, TPTB may issue more invites to fill in the holes.

Good luck.
Teems with quiet fun.
hillthek

Post by hillthek »

Hi!

Got an email and a date of 5/23 in NYC. There's an event at work I feel like I need to be at that day, though. Does anyone know if rescheduling is an option? It does say if you have a major conflict you can ask for a different appointment, I just don't want to lose my slot if it's the only chance I'll get!

Woo hoo!
:geek:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hillthek wrote:Hi!

Got an email and a date of 5/23 in NYC. There's an event at work I feel like I need to be at that day, though. Does anyone know if rescheduling is an option? It does say if you have a major conflict you can ask for a different appointment, I just don't want to lose my slot if it's the only chance I'll get!

Woo hoo!
It's certainly an option, but there are no guarantees that they will actually reschedule.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

Another year another passing score another lack of invite. This is getting irritating. How is it that some people get invites year after year?
alamble

Post by alamble »

hillthek wrote:Hi!

Woo hoo!
Make sure you ask very nicely. :) In all seriousness, if you're just asking to be slotted on a different day, they should be able to accommodate you. Hell, I asked for an entirely different city and they worked it out for me (5/13 in Nashville).
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

city- NYC; no invite yet either. I'm pretty sure I passed the adult and college test... but hopefully the invite is forthcoming if someone got a NYC invite
whysinclair
Contributor

Post by whysinclair »

Got scheduled for 4/28 in NYC - College Audition. Anyone else for that date/college championship in general??
ps YAY
hillthek

Post by hillthek »

Oh, geez, this morning I accidentally sent my RSVP for a second time. I hope that doesn't cause any problems! :oops:
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

I was taking the online tests for about ten years, never got an audition e-mail invite until last year. So this was my first (and probably only) time I got to audition. I thought I did horribly because I hate being the center of attention and I was nervous. Obviously, I was wrong.

For those who haven't gotten an audition e-mail yet, keep trying. You never know.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

Anybody get a college invite for Nashville? Looks like the adult invites went out for there (I'm swimming in that pool still until November); congrats to all that got the invites.
techsidd
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by techsidd »

ten96lt wrote:Anybody get a college invite for Nashville? Looks like the adult invites went out for there (I'm swimming in that pool still until November); congrats to all that got the invites.
I received an invite email for the Nashville college audition. Unfortunately I am leaving for a study abroad program in Europe on the same day so I asked for a different audition. They were pretty quick about it and said I could choose to go to either NYC or Kansas City which are both earlier. Told them I would like to change to Kansas City but haven't received any email to confirm since then. It's been about 3 days since that conversation.
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

Good luck to everyone that got invites. Just be yourself.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.