Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Re: Audition Emails

Post by debramc »

gloriaclemente wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible.
Hah! After I got "the call" my brother helped me memorize the wives of Henry VIII, and it turned out to be very, uh, helpful. I asked everyone I know to tell me about the things they knew best. My mom helped with music, my husband read me a poem a night (nice!) etc. If nothing else, it was a fun way to involve my friends and family.

I wouldn't think of it as "cramming" for the audition, I don't think that makes much difference, they are looking at your personality and how you play the game. But since you have an audition, I would think of it as studying for your eventual (we hope) appearance on the show itself. I was so sure I wouldn't be chosen after my audition that I didn't bother to study at all afterwards, until I got the call. Then I wished I could've had those 5 months back to study more!
There's no need to cram for the audition - you've already passed the online exam, and even though you have to take another one at the audition, most people agree it's easier in-person (I auditioned 3 times & that was my experience too.) Focus on your personality and your stories. Have something interesting to tell them you'll do with your massive winnings. Have a short autobiography prepared. (2-3 sentences) That's really all you need in advance.
But it's never too soon to study (not cram) for your actual appearance. I think it makes sense to fill in gaps of things you already know. Like if you know most of the presidents in order, make sure you fill in what you lack. Also when learning new things, try to attach them to things you know well.
If you haven't already, I'd read Prisoner of Trebekistan - partly because it's a fun read & Bob Harris is a nice guy, but mostly because there's a lot of tips on how to memorize stuff and also how the whole Jeopardy! experience works.
Also, just pay attention to the world around you. Likely anyone who's qualified for an audition, or even seriously trying to, does this already. Just do it more. Pay attention to musical genres you don't particularly care for. Read the book reviews in the paper if you don't already. Watch awards shows, sports championships, etc. (well at least the summaries.) Treat every fact you come across as useful information. (But don't go crazy with this - I actually found myself terribly relieved shortly after my taping was finished because I realized I don't have to pay attention to EVERYTHING anymore - only what I feel like. This was an unfamiliar feeling after a decade of trying out.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

As I haven't appeared on the show, I can only say this with so much confidence, but I'd suggest that prospective contestants would be far better served to prepare themselves for playing Jeopardy in front of a studio audience, in the bright lights, than cramming on any particular subject. Even people going to the audition should prepare themselves for getting up in front of a small group and playing a mock game. It was distressing to me to watch several very knowledgeable people, including a very photogenic young woman, freeze when playing the mock game. It isn't like playing along at home: you have to contend with stage fright, if you have any, and the sooner you overcome that obstacle, the better.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Woof wrote:As I haven't appeared on the show, I can only say this with so much confidence, but I'd suggest that prospective contestants would be far better served to prepare themselves for playing Jeopardy in front of a studio audience, in the bright lights, than cramming on any particular subject. Even people going to the audition should prepare themselves for getting up in front of a small group and playing a mock game. It was distressing to me to watch several very knowledgeable people, including a very photogenic young woman, freeze when playing the mock game. It isn't like playing along at home: you have to contend with stage fright, if you have any, and the sooner you overcome that obstacle, the better.
Absolutely. I personally didn't start practicing standing up, with lights, etc, until after I got the call to be on the show. But it couldn't hurt to do it sooner. And like you said, if you know you have stage fright you better work on it early (I'd done enough high school drama and piano recitals that I didn't really worry about that part but for some that's something to work on.) And of course, as soon as you even start thinking about trying out... always practice waiting for Alex to finish reading before you call out your answer. And have some sort of buzzer simulator.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'd say the best preparation is getting a good night's sleep. Use drugs if necessary.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Use drugs if necessary.
Always good advice. Note that Nancy Reagan was never on Jeopardy!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
kmwest
Contributor

Post by kmwest »

Anybody heard anything about Chicago auditions?
scornel

Post by scornel »

Hello All!

After years of taking both the college and adult online tests I finally received an audition on March 27 in Philly! I am so excited and so glad I found this board. There is a lot of useful information here. I do have a question though, and maybe this is just me stressing out, but how soon do you get the follow-up email after you RSVP? It's been 4 days and I'd like to start making travel arrangements...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

scornel wrote:Hello All!

After years of taking both the college and adult online tests I finally received an audition on March 27 in Philly! I am so excited and so glad I found this board. There is a lot of useful information here. I do have a question though, and maybe this is just me stressing out, but how soon do you get the follow-up email after you RSVP? It's been 4 days and I'd like to start making travel arrangements...
I don't remember ever getting a follow-up.
scornel

Post by scornel »

It says that I should receive a confirmation within 10 business days stating exactly where in Philadelphia the audition will take place. So I guess it's only been 2 business days...I guess I'm just antsy.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

gloriaclemente wrote:

dhkendall wrote:

Easy, don't cram. Jeopardy! is a test of the knowledge you have. If you haven't memorized, say, the wives of Henry VIII by now, your retention of them for the test, and for The Show, will be negligible.

Hah! After I got "the call" my brother helped me memorize the wives of Henry VIII, and it turned out to be very, uh, helpful. I asked everyone I know to tell me about the things they knew best. My mom helped with music, my husband read me a poem a night (nice!) etc. If nothing else, it was a fun way to involve my friends and family.

I wouldn't think of it as "cramming" for the audition, I don't think that makes much difference, they are looking at your personality and how you play the game. But since you have an audition, I would think of it as studying for your eventual (we hope) appearance on the show itself. I was so sure I wouldn't be chosen after my audition that I didn't bother to study at all afterwards, until I got the call. Then I wished I could've had those 5 months back to study more!

There's no need to cram for the audition - you've already passed the online exam, and even though you have to take another one at the audition, most people agree it's easier in-person (I auditioned 3 times & that was my experience too.) Focus on your personality and your stories. Have something interesting to tell them you'll do with your massive winnings. Have a short autobiography prepared. (2-3 sentences) That's really all you need in advance.
But it's never too soon to study (not cram) for your actual appearance. I think it makes sense to fill in gaps of things you already know. Like if you know most of the presidents in order, make sure you fill in what you lack. Also when learning new things, try to attach them to things you know well.
If you haven't already, I'd read Prisoner of Trebekistan - partly because it's a fun read & Bob Harris is a nice guy, but mostly because there's a lot of tips on how to memorize stuff and also how the whole Jeopardy! experience works.
Also, just pay attention to the world around you. Likely anyone who's qualified for an audition, or even seriously trying to, does this already. Just do it more. Pay attention to musical genres you don't particularly care for. Read the book reviews in the paper if you don't already. Watch awards shows, sports championships, etc. (well at least the summaries.) Treat every fact you come across as useful information. (But don't go crazy with this - I actually found myself terribly relieved shortly after my taping was finished because I realized I don't have to pay attention to EVERYTHING anymore - only what I feel like. This was an unfamiliar feeling after a decade of trying out.)

Thanks for all the advice! I think both studying and cramming have their own value. Obviously "studying" the presidents and knowing who they actually are is more valuable than cramming the order, but being able to spit out that Rutherford B. Hayes was #19 has it's own value. I intend to do some of both, and I'll start playing with the lights and standing up too :) At the very least it'll make me feel better.

Out of curiosity, if you do get "the call", how much notice do you get before you have to be in L.A.?
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

scornel wrote:Hello All!

Last year I got the initial email on May 2, RSVPed on May 3, got the confirmation with location details May 4. But the previous one in 2009 I got the initial email May 8, responded May 11 (I nearly missed that one!) and got the 2nd email May 18. So, anywhere from a day to a week in my experience!

When I got the call to be on the show, it was a few days short of 5 weeks.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Use drugs if necessary.
Always good advice. Note that Nancy Reagan was never on Jeopardy!
Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Does Jeopardy test for performancing-enhancing drugs? If not, then does anyone know of any drugs that might enhance my performance? If so, then man, they must have so much of Ken Jennings' urine on file that they could...do something really funny and/or really gross.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A doctor offered me a beta blocker before my appearance. I turned him down. I'm not so sure I should have.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

For those hoping to hear about NYC and Boston auditions, the dates for those cities have not yet been chosen, as of March 2. There will also be an audition in Ohio.

This directly from TPTB.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

the only performance-enhancing drug i took was caffeine, which is the best one. i was strictly a one-cup-of-coffee-a-day drinker until my jeopardy taping day(s).

for anybody who should be so lucky (and excellent) as to rattle off several wins in a row on the same taping day, i implore you: get some caffeine in you before games 3, 4, and 5. if you go back and watch the original runs of any of the ToC-level players, you can see them get slower and dumber throughout the week. mark runsvold admitted to me that he was in a "hypoglycemic fog" by his third episode (admittedly, he was busier than most of the rest of us during his first two games!). it definitely happened to me on both of my taping days. my worst performances came in both of my wednesday games and my one thursday game. (somehow i was pretty sharp again for my friday game; i must've loaded up on more "vitamin C" before that match.)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:A doctor offered me a beta blocker before my appearance. I turned him down. I'm not so sure I should have.
I'm not aware of any drug that might enhance one's performance, but if I get The Call I'm going to ask my doctor for a couple of tranquilizer darts for my opponents. OK, and a third for my wife, who will probably seriously need the calming down.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Judging by the attempts of college students, adderall seems to be the performance-enhancing drug of choice for test takers. That being said, amphetamines increase concentration and wakefulness, but I'm not sure that either of those attributes would help J! performance. I'd guess that, at least initially, the beta-adrenergic response to being on stage would do enough to keep people alert, if not downright jittery. I'd guess that a few shots of whiskey might do more for people than anything else. :D Joon's point about caffeine to combat fatigue certainly makes sense for returning champions.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

For my real game I didn't take anything besides caffeine either (and snacks at every break) but if I were going to, I think something like a smallish dose of Xanax would have been more helpful than amphetamines. There's enough adrenaline going on to get anybody revved up, but the game's about so much more than just thinking fast.
For the audition, though, it may be more worthwhile to be a little revved up. You want to get their attention. While I would certainly never advise anyone to take stimulants illegally, extra caffeine is almost certainly a good idea, unless you have some medical reason not to. Or unless you know you will be revved up too much by stress. But peppy is good!
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

I got my follow-up informational email tonight, giving the name and location of the hotel in Dallas. I got the invitation last Friday, replied within 20 minutes (!), and received this one Wednesday evening. Tuesday night was the deadline for responding to email 1, so they sent the second one out very promptly.

I've started to chart my play much more seriously, looking for gaps in my information fields. I don't expect to make any real progress before the audition, but if I EVER get called for the Show, I hope to have a better handle on matters. My main issue is speed: coming up with a response before the other contestants. I guess this is where the whippersnappers have the advantage.
red_chucks
Contributor

Post by red_chucks »

I checked this thread as I wait for an email about Chicago.

I feel very strongly that review of what you know can help you to load it into top of mind. Sometimes I take a beat to separate Sartre from Camus and Chandler from Hammett. That's material I should know immediately, and it could help.

Studying something you don't know about is probably a waste of time. I reviewed contemporary Nashville music for the on-line test because I missed a question last year about Lady Antebellum. I went Hah! when there was a question this year and banged in Carrie Underwood with glee. The answer was Taylor Swift. I vaguely know the difference--Kanye West disrespected one of them at some awards event and not the other. They are only names to me. One year to prep I made a list of people on NPR who wrote books in the previous year, because the online quiz had that question a couple of times. They asked a question, and I answered Pinkwater for Sedaris. My kid laughed and laughed when I told the story. He said Sedaris is in The New Yorker all the time--you know, Dad, the funny essays by the gay guy in France. I said that guy is on NPR? I couldn't even make a connection to something I knew because the NPR names were just names.

About Bob Harris-style learning: The old board's own Sven did it and was a champ. As I remember his story about his last show: There was a question he knew he had learned the answer to, he even knew which notebook it was in, but he wasn't confident enough about knowing the answer to buzz in.

I love to talk about drugs. Don't take a beta blocker without taking an upper too. My wife was taking a medium dose of Inderal to prevent cluster headaches. She was in the park with our 2-year-old and saw him walk toward some moving playground equipment. She said her first reaction was not to jump up and chase, not even to yell, but to think that he didn't usually do that. I don't think you can rise to the occasion of J! with that kind of control. Ask a '60s survivor about amphetamines and beer (or maybe espresso and whiskey (or whisky)). If you get the dose right, you are revved and serene. The first time I ever took Dionysus's side vs. Apollo was after a few hours of such self-medicating; I didn't know I had it in me.