Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Audition Emails

Post by Turd Ferguson »

mister black wrote:Harumph. Also been figuring that the late addition of Cleveland/Cincinnati auditions might well have pushed Sacramento out the back end.
They're also going back to Boston in November (unless my friend is being Punk-ed), don't know if they would have had that initially planned, either.
diagia

Post by diagia »

How many people pass versus how many people get invites? What are the odds? I have never been invited.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

diagia wrote:How many people pass versus how many people get invites? What are the odds? I have never been invited.
If you're asking about the number of people who pass the online test, that number is never revealed. What is known is that there about 2000 auditions per year and about 300 people on the show every year. Thus, all things being equal, you've got a 1/6.666 chance if it's a random selection (which it isn't) once you get an audition. Those who've been doing this longer than I report getting an audition about 1 out of every 4 years, which should probably give you a sense of the odds.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I figured this would be around the time the Tournament of Champions would be taped, since this article says it's airing in February 2013...?
Teen Tournament begins airing Wednesday, January 30. Tournament of Champions begins airing Wednesday, February 13. I have reason to suspect (based on the J! taping schedule) that one of those two is taping next week.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

trainman wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:I figured this would be around the time the Tournament of Champions would be taped, since this article says it's airing in February 2013...?
Teen Tournament begins airing Wednesday, January 30. Tournament of Champions begins airing Wednesday, February 13. I have reason to suspect (based on the J! taping schedule) that one of those two is taping next week.
Yes -- it's Sweeps Month, which means that it's Tournament Season (or special shows like Kids Week or Power Players).
jaredjo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jaredjo »

trainman wrote:
Teen is taping late November.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Woof wrote:
diagia wrote:How many people pass versus how many people get invites? What are the odds? I have never been invited.
If you're asking about the number of people who pass the online test, that number is never revealed. What is known is that there about 2000 auditions per year and about 300 people on the show every year. Thus, all things being equal, you've got a 1/6.666 chance if it's a random selection (which it isn't) once you get an audition. Those who've been doing this longer than I report getting an audition about 1 out of every 4 years, which should probably give you a sense of the odds.
The odds of getting an audition are probably also affected by things we're unaware of, like where you are from. If there are relatively few online test passers in your area, you might stand a better chance. Just a guess, though.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Magna wrote:The odds of getting an audition are probably also affected by things we're unaware of, like where you are from. If there are relatively few online test passers in your area, you might stand a better chance.
On a related note, I thought it was interesting that 10 of the 15 teachers in this year's tournament were from the east coast.
CLEdirector

Post by CLEdirector »

MandaLuv wrote:Hi all, this is my first post! FYI, audition emails have started to go out for Cleveland in December. I received the email yesterday (10/18/12) for an audition on 12/10 at 9 AM. I took the test in March and never expected anything to come of it (though looking back, I think I scored ~38 on the online test... better than I thought at the time). I'm nervous already! :o
I got mine on the 19th. Cleveland, same day, 3:00pm. I think I scored about 40, maybe 42 if I was really, really lucky.

After posting about it on Facebook, I find out that a colleague is friends with Bob Harris, so I instantly bought his Trebekistan book and am about 3/4 through it. Love it. Started doing some preliminary training (going through the Archive to find my weaknesses) and I started a blog. Now I can't wait to get Chuck Forrest's book in the mail.
TMock

Post by TMock »

First time poster... I received an invite for the Dec. 10 audition in Cleveland, and was instructed to accept the invite within two days. I sent in my acceptance that same day. The email indicated that I would receive further information (specific location for the audition, etc.) within ten days of my acceptance. It's been ten days, and I haven't received anything. Is there something else I should be doing in order to get the necessary audition information?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Be sure to check your spam filter to make sure the reply email didn't get caught there. If you don't find it, you can send a reply email.
ManceMartell
Contributor

Post by ManceMartell »

Just wondering. Does anyone know around what time callbacks for College Jeopardy are? I went to Cleveland on the 6th.
mbclev
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mbclev »

For me, I'm auditioning in Cleveland on December 10 at 11:30 A.M.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mbclev wrote:For me, I'm auditioning in Cleveland on December 10 at 11:30 A.M.
Should you manage to get on the show, could you tell us what you are going to wager in FJ!?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Don't forget to phrase your responses in the form of a question. :)

Also, if someone else at the audition forgets, please don't assault them. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Congrats and good luck!
gabethegoat

Post by gabethegoat »

hello all,

fairly new visitor to the site/lurker here. just wanted to share a recent story.

i've been trying to get on the show for a while and have probably taken the online test for the last 5 years or so. i got invited to do an in-person audition in chicago (i'm in cincinnati) back in 2010 but never got the call. it was a letdown for me, as i thought i had done really well on both the paper test and the mock game. maybe i wasn't charismatic enough? or maybe it was the fact that i showed up soaking wet after running 4 blocks in the rain to make it there on time... regardless, i was bummed.

fast forward to a couple months ago; i get the email letting me know about the cincy/cleveland/military online test and get really excited. i sign up for the test, only to find out weeks later that the date conflicts with a cincinnati reds playoff game for which i had tickets. i was torn, but ultimately my lifelong goal of getting on j! trumped my sports fandom and i stayed home to take the test. for the record, i thought it was pretty easy--i got at least 40 right and as many as 43 if they took partial credit on a couple where i didn't get my answer fully entered. less than 2 weeks later, the reds had been eliminated from the playoffs but i had a nice little audition invite email sitting in my inbox. i'll be attending the dec 7 cincinnati interview. :D
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

Hey all!
I just received an email saying that they WILL be doing the Sacramento auditions! From the email:
"Due to scheduling, we were unable to make it up to Sacramento 2012, but we are planning a trip there within the next couple of months."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

People, please don't stare at Gabe!
codehappy
Contributor

Post by codehappy »

I received an e-mail for Sacramento as well. Thought for sure they weren't going to send out invites, happy to be wrong :D