Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

deano
Contributor

Re: Audition Emails

Post by deano »

I got an e-mail for Sacramento today.

It was the closest city to me (Vancouver area) on last year's list.
Still no Pacific Northwest on this year's list.

I guess I'll see "Emkay" and "codehappy" there.
phi
Contributor

Post by phi »

Assumed I hadn't made the cutoff; was pleased to discover Jeopardy! was just slacking on their Sacramento visit. Anyone know the frequency with which cities are skipped?
ScaryKlown
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ScaryKlown »

Greetings and salutations, JBoard contributors!

I've been more a lurker here myself but have a question for this esteemed body. I received an audition email yesterday for late February but had been planning to take the online test this week (apparently my audition invite is based on my performance on last year's online test). Does this mean I shouldn't take the online test this week? Or one thing has nothing to do with the other and I might as well take it?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ScaryKlown wrote:Greetings and salutations, JBoard contributors!

I've been more a lurker here myself but have a question for this esteemed body. I received an audition email yesterday for late February but had been planning to take the online test this week (apparently my audition invite is based on my performance on last year's online test). Does this mean I shouldn't take the online test this week? Or one thing has nothing to do with the other and I might as well take it?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!
You could take the test for fun, and you'll need to indicate that some way. I would also email the contestant coordinators if you do decide to take the test and let them know.

Have fun at your audition!
ScaryKlown

Post by ScaryKlown »

I took your advice and contacted the Contestant Search group and the response was as you suggested: since I've "passed" the first round and been invited to an in-person audition, there's no benefit in taking this year's online test. I think I will still take it with the "play for fun" option selected, though. Thanks!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If you've already registered, I'm not sure that's possible; "just for fun" was automatically selected for me when I checked the "I've appeared on Jeopardy" box while registering, and I can say for sure there was no such thing to click when I logged in for the test.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

anyone get or know of anyone who got an audition email for the adult january online test or too early still?
phi
Contributor

Post by phi »

Cortana431 wrote:anyone get or know of anyone who got an audition email for the adult january online test or too early still?
My friend got an email for L.A. the day after taking the test.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A guy we know at my parents' church had heard from them by the Sunday after the test.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

seaborgium wrote:A guy we know at my parents' church had heard from them by the Sunday after the test.
For what city?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sorry, I sometimes assume everyone at the board has the basic skeleton of my biographical details. I'm in L.A. as well.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

seaborgium wrote:Sorry, I sometimes assume everyone at the board has the basic skeleton of my biographical details. I'm in L.A. as well.
Sorry although I have been a member here for a while, I tend to only visit around test time. It makes sense that the quick auditions are for LA. I wonder when the NY notices will go out. When did they go out last year?
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Setho wrote:I wonder when the NY notices will go out. When did they go out last year?
I got mine for DC last year in early February.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

You can't always judge by the timing of earlier years. It all depends on when TPTB can arrange for suitable hotel space. That being said, New York generally happens in the Spring.
Teems with quiet fun.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Audition Emails - demographics

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Is anyone interested in the demographics of Jeopardy! online test passers and contestants? I'm interested in testing various hypotheses: that the selection process for in-person auditions is in fact a random selection, not based on how high the score is once the cutoff is met, or other demographic criteria such as age, location, or gender; that the cutoff is in fact 35; and that the actual contestants fairly approximate (or not) the demographic characteristics of the pool of persons who have passed the online test.

The hard question is whether there is anything which distinguishes, demographically speaking or otherwise, test passers from actual contestants. (personality! stage presence! humor! physical attractiveness!) Perhaps the answer is "nothing in particular," although I've seen a lot of speculation on what it takes to "pass" the in-person audition. If people would like to post their demographic or other characteristics in this year's audition thread, that would allow us to see possible patterns. Obviously, the validity of any data is limited by the fact that those posting are a self-selected group which may or may not be representative of the broader group of those who have passed the online test. (I did not say obsessives.) Obviously, if you want to share, share only what you are comfortable with.

Here are some of my data:

score on 2013 on-line test: 41. Have taken and passed initial test 3 times previously; three auditions.

sex: male

place of residence: Phoenix, Arizona

occupation: high school French teacher; retired foreign service officer.

ethnicity: European mixture, not hispanic.

personality: personally shy, professionally outgoing (sometimes). Funny or maybe just witty when "on".

physical appearance: no fashion model, but will not frighten children or (most) dogs.

(I'm sorry if this sounds like a dating site!)

Again, if anyone wants to share, we might have some interesting data and conclusions.
IisaPhd

Post by IisaPhd »

Any word on the Huntsville, Alabama audition?
Louisss
Contributor

Post by Louisss »

Yikes -- I'm disheartened to see that L.A. emails have gone out. I got a 45 on the test. Should I assume I've been skipped?

(Also: I read this site practically every day. Happy to make my first post in such fine company!)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Louisss wrote:Yikes -- I'm disheartened to see that L.A. emails have gone out. I got a 45 on the test. Should I assume I've been skipped?

(Also: I read this site practically every day. Happy to make my first post in such fine company!)
Congrats on getting a good score on the test! A good score (or any other score) doesn't guarantee an audition invite, though, as those who passed are randomly selected to get an audition invite from there. Hopefully you'll get an invite soon, but if not, don't worry, just assure yoruself that next time you get the test you should be able to pass it easily, since you did once ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Louisss wrote:Yikes -- I'm disheartened to see that L.A. emails have gone out. I got a 45 on the test. Should I assume I've been skipped?

It say's you may get an audition email up to a year from the test date, so no.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Welcome to JBoard!

I got my email invitation in May for a June audition in Los Angeles. I think they do them fairly regularly through the year.