Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

koozbane
Valued Contributor

Re: Audition Emails

Post by koozbane »

Welcome KTB! I'm still a newbie myself!

And koam, audition emails usually go out 2-6 weeks before an audition in a particular city. For example, the last audition I was at was in NYC at the end of June. The emails went out some time in May.
KTBJeopardy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by KTBJeopardy »

Oh, thanks! I had no idea when to expect the email that (I hope) is coming for the New Orleans audition! Fingers crossed! :)
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

koozbane wrote:Welcome KTB! I'm still a newbie myself!

And koam, audition emails usually go out 2-6 weeks before an audition in a particular city. For example, the last audition I was at was in NYC at the end of June. The emails went out some time in May.

thank you
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

I took the online test on March 28, 2012. I scored a 40. (Self-scored based on this thread - thanks for posting OP).

Today I got my "Contestant Audition in Boston on May 9" email from Jeopardy!

So it's about 3 weeks prior to the audition and 3 weeks after the online test in my case.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

I just got a huge thrill when I went to my in box and saw I had waiting email from Jeopardy! Figured it was my invite to the Boston audition. Alas, it was only an ad for the South Africa Sweepstakes. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :x
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Same here but the email also gives a fun SA-based game. Hey, it's something.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

The South Africa trip sounds pretty cool but then I noticed this in the Official Rules:
If selected in the random drawing, in order to be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner, a Canadian resident must correctly answer, within the allotted time and without assistance of any kind, a mathematical skill-testing question.
Is this a standard hoop we make our brothers to the north jump through??!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Miss Mellie wrote:The South Africa trip sounds pretty cool but then I noticed this in the Official Rules:
If selected in the random drawing, in order to be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner, a Canadian resident must correctly answer, within the allotted time and without assistance of any kind, a mathematical skill-testing question.
We don't, but they do.

One of those quirks in Canadian laws (not sure if it's all of Canada, but I know it is in some provinces) that you can't win a "game of chance" outright, there must be some "skill" shown to have won the prize.

Don't worry. The usual test of skill is "what is 2 + 2?" or something of that ilk.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Miss Mellie wrote:The South Africa trip sounds pretty cool but then I noticed this in the Official Rules:
I would think this would be done to introduce a modicum of skill to the contest and not just pure luck or chance. Hopefully, they woundn't ask what the number of South African official languages squared?
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Yes. It apparently is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_testing_question

And something not Wikipedia: http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... 7/01/72511
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

They should ask them: "How many quarters are in a hockey game?"
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Huh! That is a fascinating piece of international trivia. Thanks!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:They should ask them: "How many quarters are in a hockey game?"
That's an easy one: four!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sel

Post by Sel »

What happens if you can't make it to the college auditions? Just wondering, because a member of my family is in the hospital and things aren't looking good. I'm in Canada and I wanted to take the online test today. My biggest worry about it is if I can't make it to an audition this year, can I get disqualified or does it lower my chances of getting asked for an audition in the future because I know there are no tests "for fun" for Canadians. It's my first time taking a Jeopardy test so I'm not sure about these details. If I can't make it to the college auditions, I am planning to take the adult test in the future. Any advice on what I should do? Should I just not take the test tonight?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Sel wrote:What happens if you can't make it to the college auditions?
The J! contestant staff has been fairly reasonable about such things -- they'll definitely understand if they send you a tryout invitation but you reply that you can't make it, and it won't affect your chances for trying out in the future.
Sel

Post by Sel »

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better :)
sovernnation

Post by sovernnation »

I see no way to post a new topic on this board, which is driving me crazy, so I will just ask here: has anyone gotten an invitation yet to a West Coast audition after taking the March 28 online test? Thanks.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

sovernnation wrote:I see no way to post a new topic on this board, which is driving me crazy, so I will just ask here: has anyone gotten an invitation yet to a West Coast audition after taking the March 28 online test? Thanks.
You can't post a new topic until you have made some minimum number of posts on other topics first -- it's a deterrent to spammers.

Nevertheless, this is the right thread in which to post your question anyway, so in the end it's all good.

Rex
KTBJeopardy

Post by KTBJeopardy »

I actually haven't seen any references to people being invited to West Coast or Southeastern auditions yet.
BobF

Post by BobF »

My theory is that Canadians are poor at math. As evidence, I submit early season hockey standings. A team that is 2-5 will be ahead of a team that is 1-0 with a tie. Same thing for the CFL standings.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!