Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Kebert Xela » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm

RandyG wrote:
econgator wrote:
the_phil wrote:Just got my invite for March 20 in Tampa. First invite for me!


Congrats! I got mine for the 21st, but it's my 8th time. :)


Don't ♪ at your 1/♪. Congrats!


Nice try, but I don't think quaver would describe what was said...
Kebert Xela
Contributor
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby alamble » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions? I got an invite to Kansas City, but OF COURSE it's for the week BEFORE I was already planning on being in town, and I simply cannot pull off two trips on consecutive weekends. Was hoping to possibly ask to reschedule but I can't remember what my other options are.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby bpmod » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm

alamble wrote:Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions? I got an invite to Kansas City, but OF COURSE it's for the week BEFORE I was already planning on being in town, and I simply cannot pull off two trips on consecutive weekends. Was hoping to possibly ask to reschedule but I can't remember what my other options are.

The only two I remember for certain are Toronto and Buffalo.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Audition Emails

Postby pinkwaterlily » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 pm

alamble wrote:Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions? I got an invite to Kansas City, but OF COURSE it's for the week BEFORE I was already planning on being in town, and I simply cannot pull off two trips on consecutive weekends. Was hoping to possibly ask to reschedule but I can't remember what my other options are.


I know New York was on the list and Boston was not.
pinkwaterlily
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby ComingUpMilhouse » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Detroit was one as well.
User avatar
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Hickory Corners, MI

Re: Audition Emails

Postby jeff6286 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm in Indianapolis, and I think Nashville was the closest one to me.
User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 3081
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Audition Emails

Postby alamble » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 pm

jeff6286 wrote:I'm in Indianapolis, and I think Nashville was the closest one to me.

I wasn't sure if Nashville was one of this year's cities or not, but that's my best option as well.

Thanks to all who replied!
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby cheezguyty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:15 am

alamble wrote:Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions?

In addition to the ones already mentioned there were Huntsville, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Antonio, Tampa, and Tulsa.
User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Audition Emails

Postby opusthepenguin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 pm

I got an invitation today. I'm supposed to RSVP by email within two days. That's a pretty tight turnaround. So just a reminder to everyone: Make sure your email is set up not to send your invitation to the SPAM folder. Didn't one our boardies just happen to find an invite there and respond to it in time? Don't take that chance. The email was from the domain spe.sony.com, NOT from news.sonypictures.com which sends out announcements about online tests and such. Getting those announcements is no guarantee your email program won't crush your dreams by hiding your invitation in the junk mail bin. It was always jealous of you.

The invitation didn't say what address to RSVP to, so I'm assuming I just click Reply. The audition is on Sunday, May 5 in Kansas City. What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 2580
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby econgator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:01 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:The invitation didn't say what address to RSVP to, so I'm assuming I just click Reply.


Correct.
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
 
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Magna » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.

I'm probably repeating, but be sure you are well-rested, alert and in a good frame of mind. Be sure to eat an adequate breakfast (or snack, or lunch, depending on the time of day). Dress nicely but comfortably; be prepared for temperature variations in the room. Follow all their instructions about what papers to bring with you, when to be there, etc. Some people study, but since you passed the online test, you can probably do fine on the written in-person test too.
User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby ManceMartell » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Prepare using Sporcle. Their Countries quizzes were really helpful, as were their State ones.
ManceMartell
Contributor
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 am

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Just yesterday, I got an email from Jeopardy, but it was about the college test. I was so disappointed. But then, today, I received my invite!

Like Opus, I'm auditioning in KC on Sunday, May 5, in the morning. I live about 3 1/2 hours north of there, so I'll be driving down a day or two early and trying to get some BBQ and a good night's rest.

Thom
Thom
Contributor
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Cortana431 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:28 pm

if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.
Image
Cortana431
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Magna » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.

I don't think we know how often they hold auditions, or if how often they hold additional ones in the same cities. (IIRC, at least one city besides L.A. had a couple of rounds of auditions.) But sometimes people get late invitations. I can only speculate, but maybe it happens if not enough people RSVP for a particular audition, or if people cancel. Also, they seem to hold multiple rounds of auditions in L.A., so if that was the city, I wouldn't give up.

I don't know that this makes any difference, though - you can still take online tests and try to qualify, unless they've told you otherwise.
User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby ComingUpMilhouse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Magna wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.

I'm probably repeating, but be sure you are well-rested, alert and in a good frame of mind. Be sure to eat an adequate breakfast (or snack, or lunch, depending on the time of day). Dress nicely but comfortably; be prepared for temperature variations in the room. Follow all their instructions about what papers to bring with you, when to be there, etc. Some people study, but since you passed the online test, you can probably do fine on the written in-person test too.


Yeah, I think as long as your written test is consistent with your online test, they won't care too much (they just don't want to see an amazing online score and a bad in-person one, because that will make them think you got help with the online test). When you play your mock game, speak clearly, try to remember to answer in the form of the question (although this won't kill you if you forget), and keep the game moving. They try to spread out who they call on so you all get chances to answer. If you guess wrong, bounce back quickly. They're mostly trying to get a sense of your personality and how you might come across on TV.
User avatar
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Hickory Corners, MI

Re: Audition Emails

Postby ElendilPickle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 pm

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Magna wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.

I'm probably repeating, but be sure you are well-rested, alert and in a good frame of mind. Be sure to eat an adequate breakfast (or snack, or lunch, depending on the time of day). Dress nicely but comfortably; be prepared for temperature variations in the room. Follow all their instructions about what papers to bring with you, when to be there, etc. Some people study, but since you passed the online test, you can probably do fine on the written in-person test too.


Yeah, I think as long as your written test is consistent with your online test, they won't care too much (they just don't want to see an amazing online score and a bad in-person one, because that will make them think you got help with the online test). When you play your mock game, speak clearly, try to remember to answer in the form of the question (although this won't kill you if you forget), and keep the game moving. They try to spread out who they call on so you all get chances to answer. If you guess wrong, bounce back quickly. They're mostly trying to get a sense of your personality and how you might come across on TV.


You'll also do an interview lasting a minute or two, so be prepared to talk for about a minute about yourself. Be cheerful and enthusiastic - not "Price is Right" enthusiastic, but enough to show you have a personality.
User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby ElendilPickle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.


I got my audition invitation in May, so don't assume anything.
User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby alietr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.


And I don't think anyone has seen a correlation between test score and likelihood of receiving an invitation. Any score above the threshold seems to have an equal probability of getting an invite.
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Audition Emails

Postby alamble » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.

It depends on which city you signed up for; at least half of the audition cities are still unaccounted for.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 10 guests