Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kebert Xela
Contributor

Re: Audition Emails

Post by Kebert Xela »

RandyG wrote:
econgator wrote:
the_phil wrote:Just got my invite for March 20 in Tampa. First invite for me!
Congrats! I got mine for the 21st, but it's my 8th time. :)
Don't ♪ at your 1/♪. Congrats!
Nice try, but I don't think quaver would describe what was said...
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions? I got an invite to Kansas City, but OF COURSE it's for the week BEFORE I was already planning on being in town, and I simply cannot pull off two trips on consecutive weekends. Was hoping to possibly ask to reschedule but I can't remember what my other options are.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alamble wrote:Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions? I got an invite to Kansas City, but OF COURSE it's for the week BEFORE I was already planning on being in town, and I simply cannot pull off two trips on consecutive weekends. Was hoping to possibly ask to reschedule but I can't remember what my other options are.
The only two I remember for certain are Toronto and Buffalo.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
pinkwaterlily

Post by pinkwaterlily »

alamble wrote:Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions? I got an invite to Kansas City, but OF COURSE it's for the week BEFORE I was already planning on being in town, and I simply cannot pull off two trips on consecutive weekends. Was hoping to possibly ask to reschedule but I can't remember what my other options are.
I know New York was on the list and Boston was not.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Detroit was one as well.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm in Indianapolis, and I think Nashville was the closest one to me.
alamble

Post by alamble »

jeff6286 wrote:I'm in Indianapolis, and I think Nashville was the closest one to me.
I wasn't sure if Nashville was one of this year's cities or not, but that's my best option as well.

Thanks to all who replied!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

alamble wrote:Question for the peanut gallery: does anyone remember what the full list of audition cities was for this year's auditions?
In addition to the ones already mentioned there were Huntsville, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Antonio, Tampa, and Tulsa.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I got an invitation today. I'm supposed to RSVP by email within two days. That's a pretty tight turnaround. So just a reminder to everyone: Make sure your email is set up not to send your invitation to the SPAM folder. Didn't one our boardies just happen to find an invite there and respond to it in time? Don't take that chance. The email was from the domain spe.sony.com, NOT from news.sonypictures.com which sends out announcements about online tests and such. Getting those announcements is no guarantee your email program won't crush your dreams by hiding your invitation in the junk mail bin. It was always jealous of you.

The invitation didn't say what address to RSVP to, so I'm assuming I just click Reply. The audition is on Sunday, May 5 in Kansas City. What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:The invitation didn't say what address to RSVP to, so I'm assuming I just click Reply.
Correct.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

opusthepenguin wrote:What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.
I'm probably repeating, but be sure you are well-rested, alert and in a good frame of mind. Be sure to eat an adequate breakfast (or snack, or lunch, depending on the time of day). Dress nicely but comfortably; be prepared for temperature variations in the room. Follow all their instructions about what papers to bring with you, when to be there, etc. Some people study, but since you passed the online test, you can probably do fine on the written in-person test too.
ManceMartell
Contributor

Post by ManceMartell »

Prepare using Sporcle. Their Countries quizzes were really helpful, as were their State ones.
Thom
Contributor

Post by Thom »

Just yesterday, I got an email from Jeopardy, but it was about the college test. I was so disappointed. But then, today, I received my invite!

Like Opus, I'm auditioning in KC on Sunday, May 5, in the morning. I live about 3 1/2 hours north of there, so I'll be driving down a day or two early and trying to get some BBQ and a good night's rest.

Thom
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.
I don't think we know how often they hold auditions, or if how often they hold additional ones in the same cities. (IIRC, at least one city besides L.A. had a couple of rounds of auditions.) But sometimes people get late invitations. I can only speculate, but maybe it happens if not enough people RSVP for a particular audition, or if people cancel. Also, they seem to hold multiple rounds of auditions in L.A., so if that was the city, I wouldn't give up.

I don't know that this makes any difference, though - you can still take online tests and try to qualify, unless they've told you otherwise.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Magna wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:What's the best way to prepare? If I recall, there is advice on that score in earlier posts to this very thread. So I'll probably go back and look for that. But I wouldn't take it amiss if someone wanted to summarize for me here.
I'm probably repeating, but be sure you are well-rested, alert and in a good frame of mind. Be sure to eat an adequate breakfast (or snack, or lunch, depending on the time of day). Dress nicely but comfortably; be prepared for temperature variations in the room. Follow all their instructions about what papers to bring with you, when to be there, etc. Some people study, but since you passed the online test, you can probably do fine on the written in-person test too.
Yeah, I think as long as your written test is consistent with your online test, they won't care too much (they just don't want to see an amazing online score and a bad in-person one, because that will make them think you got help with the online test). When you play your mock game, speak clearly, try to remember to answer in the form of the question (although this won't kill you if you forget), and keep the game moving. They try to spread out who they call on so you all get chances to answer. If you guess wrong, bounce back quickly. They're mostly trying to get a sense of your personality and how you might come across on TV.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Magna wrote:
Yeah, I think as long as your written test is consistent with your online test, they won't care too much (they just don't want to see an amazing online score and a bad in-person one, because that will make them think you got help with the online test). When you play your mock game, speak clearly, try to remember to answer in the form of the question (although this won't kill you if you forget), and keep the game moving. They try to spread out who they call on so you all get chances to answer. If you guess wrong, bounce back quickly. They're mostly trying to get a sense of your personality and how you might come across on TV.
You'll also do an interview lasting a minute or two, so be prepared to talk for about a minute about yourself. Be cheerful and enthusiastic - not "Price is Right" enthusiastic, but enough to show you have a personality.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.
I got my audition invitation in May, so don't assume anything.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And I don't think anyone has seen a correlation between test score and likelihood of receiving an invitation. Any score above the threshold seems to have an equal probability of getting an invite.
alamble

Post by alamble »

It depends on which city you signed up for; at least half of the audition cities are still unaccounted for.