Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Audition Emails

Postby dhkendall » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:I got an invitation today.


WTG Opus! I'm happy for you!

opusthepenguin wrote:So just a reminder to everyone: Make sure your email is set up not to send your invitation to the SPAM folder.


I'm thinking that since I get (I'm assuming all the) Sony newsletters and Jeopardy emails (like announcing that the Teen Tournament is on this week or something) that I should be good, yes? (I don't even know where my Spam folder is, I guess I'd have to log into the webmail and check that ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings
User avatar
dhkendall
Moderator, Archivist, and Servant to the J! Community
 
Posts: 4940
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Woof » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am

opusthepenguin wrote:I got an invitation today.


Way to go, O Flightless One! You've got great advice already. Just don't forget your sense of humor when you're in the midst of the audition.
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby marpocky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Got an invite to Kansas City on May 5th, but I won't be able to make that. There were NO Northwest cities this time around (did Seattle both of the last 2 times), and at the time of the test there was a chance I would be visiting my folks in Iowa in May, but that won't be happening until June now. Feels good to be 3/3, but sad that I can't go to the interview as they're so much fun.

dhkendall wrote:I'm thinking that since I get (I'm assuming all the) Sony newsletters and Jeopardy emails (like announcing that the Teen Tournament is on this week or something) that I should be good, yes? (I don't even know where my Spam folder is, I guess I'd have to log into the webmail and check that ... )


Nope, mine went to spam even though my regular J!/Sony e-mails get delivered to the inbox.
User avatar
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Suzhou, China

Re: Audition Emails

Postby NoName84 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.


Which city did you pick?
NoName84
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Cortana431 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

NoName84 wrote:
Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.


Which city did you pick?


New York City
Image
Cortana431
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby nlw44 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Cortana431 wrote:
NoName84 wrote:
Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.


Which city did you pick?


New York City


Not that anyone, myself included, is a shoe-in to get an audition, but you can be pretty sure that when they start to go out for your city of choice, SOMEBODY is going to mention it on this thread. The emails for any particular city go out around the same time, but the different cities can be quite widely spread out. No need to panic/be depressed just yet.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm
Location: Harwich, MA

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Cortana431 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Do you think I would be more likely to get an audition invite for the college tournament? (JUST an audition, not getting on). I feel like less people pass the college test than the adult, but I could be wrong. Of course, there could simply be less audition spots available for the college tournament.
Image
Cortana431
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:15 am

Cortana431 wrote:Do you think I would be more likely to get an audition invite for the college tournament? (JUST an audition, not getting on). I feel like less people pass the college test than the adult, but I could be wrong. Of course, there could simply be less audition spots available for the college tournament.

Well, you could also assume to population trying out for the college tourney is smaller than the general audition spots, since only full-time college undergrads are elligible.

Don't sweat the numbers game. Just do your part, and wait (and hope) for the rest to fall into place.
User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby jbreynolds » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Another Sunday May 5 in Kansas City here. Invitation arrived today.
jbreynolds
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Patzer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:21 pm

So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.
Patzer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby gamawire » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Patzer wrote:So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.


I just got back from mine - congrats, and just remember to have fun!
"The secret to a long life is knowing when it's time to go." --Michelle Shocked
User avatar
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:16 am

Re: Audition Emails

Postby TryphonTournesol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Patzer wrote:So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.


I also had mine today. Were you in the 9:00 or 11:30 group?
User avatar
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Dr. J » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Opus, have good stories, even if you have to make them up!! Maggie LOVES to see personality and fun, so be your most interesting, vibrant self, or at least channel someone who is :). Play confidently and know that you deserve to be in that room. Why should they pick you?! Because you're great and they're going to love you, that's why. :)

Good luck!!
User avatar
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Patzer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 am

TryphonTournesol wrote:
Patzer wrote:So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.


I also had mine today. Were you in the 9:00 or 11:30 group?


9AM here. It wasn't bad at all. Had a good time. How was yours?
Patzer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby TryphonTournesol » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 am

Patzer wrote:
TryphonTournesol wrote:
Patzer wrote:So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.


I also had mine today. Were you in the 9:00 or 11:30 group?


9AM here. It wasn't bad at all. Had a good time. How was yours?


Pretty good (I was 11:30). Seemed to fly by. I couldn't believe it was 2:00 when I checked my watch at the end.
User avatar
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby tiffanyjs » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I was in the 11:30 San Antonio group (first audition ever), and I must say I was amazed at the lack of women both in my group and the 9am group. Is 3 women to 20+ men normal for auditions? It made me wonder- are female candidates more likely to get The Call to keep the show's male-female ratio up, simply because fewer of them audition? I think I did really well on the personality/mock show portion as a young spunky redhead but I'm worried because I know I missed at least 10 on the written portion (I missed some of the easiest ones by overthinking. Ugh).
User avatar
tiffanyjs
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Audition Emails

Postby Paucle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Tiffany, if "at least 10" is "not much more than", you're fine. You'd have to bomb drastically for that written one to change your eligibility.
My last audition was way back in 2010 in Raleigh, but of the two dozen there (23, actually, one no-show) only 4 were women.

BTW, welcome to the boards!
User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
 
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY

Re: Audition Emails

Postby TryphonTournesol » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:59 pm

tiffanyjs wrote:I was in the 11:30 San Antonio group (first audition ever), and I must say I was amazed at the lack of women both in my group and the 9am group. Is 3 women to 20+ men normal for auditions? It made me wonder- are female candidates more likely to get The Call to keep the show's male-female ratio up, simply because fewer of them audition? I think I did really well on the personality/mock show portion as a young spunky redhead but I'm worried because I know I missed at least 10 on the written portion (I missed some of the easiest ones by overthinking. Ugh).


Hey, you were sitting right next to me! I was also a little surprised by the underrepresentation of females but I would suspect that way more men than women take the online quiz in the first place and it's probably representative of that. Quiz bowl was certainly quite a male-dominated sport when I played it, and there's definitely some demographic overlap.
User avatar
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby TryphonTournesol » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:14 pm

As to whether women have a better chance of getting on the show - I get the impression that most episodes go champion + one man and one woman. That would mean that, roughly, the number of men and women appearing on the show in a given season would be about equal. Thus, if the ratio of men to women in the tryouts is five or six to one, that suggests that as a woman you'd be five or six times more likely to make it on the show. This is VERY rough math, of course, and someone with better skills and/or more solid base information could perhaps give a better accounting of it, but it does seem to be generally the case. There hasn't been an all-male show (excluding tournaments) since 11/28/12, while there have been a few all-female shows since then (and a couple episodes where the returning champ was female and both challengers were male).
User avatar
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Audition Emails

Postby tiffanyjs » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Hey, you were sitting right next to me! I was also a little surprised by the underrepresentation of females but I would suspect that way more men than women take the online quiz in the first place and it's probably representative of that. Quiz bowl was certainly quite a male-dominated sport when I played it, and there's definitely some demographic overlap.



I'd definitely be interested in why that is... (girls don't like to read? girls aren't educated? girls don't care enough to discover the world around them?) but I have a feeling that could open up a huge can of worms. :)

In the meantime, I sure hope the gender disparity works in my favor!
User avatar
tiffanyjs
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm
Location: Austin, TX

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bamaman, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jeff6286, RandyG, sillymoose, stephanie, TheyCallMeMrKid, This Is Kirk!, TomKBaltimoreBoy, Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests